Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

We only ended up making it to Drogheda, f**king head wind the whole way so after 60k we were done, still a good session.

Delighted with 39.10 yesterday for the 10k, well ahead of where I thought I was
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CD

Aye - Ballinaman - that is fantastic running. I could only dream of hitting that kind of form! Loving the running at the moment. Bizarrely, I have fewer old niggles and aches and pains when I run every other day. As soon as I leave it 4/5 days knee, hip and back play up. Anyone else like this?

I've also discovered I'm a bit of a coward on the longer runs - I'm constantly holding a wee bit back thinking about the miles that lie ahead and then finishing with gas in the tank. Need to just break through that psychological barrier.

Yesterday's run was a bit of a mess in terms of my bowel giving me grief - got home to discover my wife had a stomach bug so it must have been a bit of that!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Looking forward to Downpatrick now in 2 weeks, all this chat about the race is making me a wee bit nervous now!! Must wee before I run!! Pace myself so that I have left nothing behind!! And beat my target of 43mins!!!

Rain nearly stopped now, about to head out!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dubh driocht

Ballinaman has taken this thread to a different level. James Horan should bottle that mental strength and crossing the line in September will be a piece of piss.

I know we're all different but picking up on MR2's point; is there a consensus on water intake during the longer distances ? In our recovery run this morning all three of us had different views on water and refuelling and the risks of stopping for a slash.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 01, 2014, 09:40:47 PM
Really enjoyed the Cara 10k today. Toothache settled down overnight and was buzzing come race time. Got it done in 58 and change as expected so am happy enough for a first 10k. Suffered a bit towards the end but the thickness took over. Fantastically well run event, huge credit to the organisers.

That's the first goal of the year chalked off. The feeling at the finish was unreal. A bit of satisfaction tonight but will refocus for bigger challenges I now feel are within my capabilities.

Good man Seanie, only February and you will have to revise your goals. I like the line about the thickness. It comes down to that a lot on my runs, I will need it to get anywhere.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Thickness is an attribute very much required for a distance runner- has served me well many times!!

Milltown Row2

Went for run, in the rain there, last half mile my calf went on the hill heading home!!! Kept going as I was close to my time and it was pissing down ffs!! Still managed to finish 10k for 45 minutes which was quicker than last week, so I've a bloody injury now to heal before the Downpatrick, so roller out now and hopefully it will be grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on March 02, 2014, 03:53:03 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 01, 2014, 09:40:47 PM
Really enjoyed the Cara 10k today. Toothache settled down overnight and was buzzing come race time. Got it done in 58 and change as expected so am happy enough for a first 10k. Suffered a bit towards the end but the thickness took over. Fantastically well run event, huge credit to the organisers.

That's the first goal of the year chalked off. The feeling at the finish was unreal. A bit of satisfaction tonight but will refocus for bigger challenges I now feel are within my capabilities.

Good man Seanie, only February and you will have to revise your goals. I like the line about the thickness. It comes down to that a lot on my runs, I will need it to get anywhere.

Thanks Muppet and all who passed on goodwill. As for my goals - the Warriors Run is a tough, tough run. Much harder than a 10k. I spoke to a guy I know who is a proper runner and he left me under no illusions as to how tough it was and he was after doing 10 miles in 62 minutes! Will aim to improve my 10k time through the year as I get prepared for August 23rd.

A bit stiff now, must invest in one of those foam rollers!

An Gaeilgoir

Finished Runamuck yesterday, not a patch on Hell and back regarding toughness, it was a good stretch of the legs though, did the 10K in 1.09... top 20 out of 5000, am delighted...Roll on Connemara.....

magpie seanie

With regard to "chip timing" - I have done two races with chip timing and both times it has been wrong. Now obviously it's only a matter of seconds in it but I wonder why this happens? Is it anything I'm not doing? Both times it just seems I've been given the race time I crossed the line at for both net and gross which I know is not right from the people's times I crossed the start line with. As I say it's not a biggie, just curious.

laoislad

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 02, 2014, 11:42:18 PM
Finished Runamuck yesterday, not a patch on Hell and back regarding toughness, it was a good stretch of the legs though, did the 10K in 1.09... top 20 out of 5000, am delighted...Roll on Connemara.....
Didn't see you. What group did you set off in, think we were 21 or something.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Sometimes when there are no starting mats you'll get a chip but it will effectively give you "gun time".

If you have starting and finishing mats you should get different chip and gun times(the chip ones should be right). Increasingly less races have start mats though.

mrdeeds

Done the Bohermeen half marathons yesterday and my net time is 40 seconds slower than my gross time. Can anyone explain this? Surely my net time should be more if taking into consideration how long it took me to get to the starting point? Doesn't make sense to me.

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2014, 08:59:35 AM
Sometimes when there are no starting mats you'll get a chip but it will effectively give you "gun time".

If you have starting and finishing mats you should get different chip and gun times(the chip ones should be right). Increasingly less races have start mats though.

There were mats at start and finish annd most runners have different "Gross" and "Net" times. Ah well - makes it easier to beat my PB the next day!

magpie seanie

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 03, 2014, 09:30:46 AM
Done the Bohermeen half marathons yesterday and my net time is 40 seconds slower than my gross time. Can anyone explain this? Surely my net time should be more if taking into consideration how long it took me to get to the starting point? Doesn't make sense to me.

I would understand your "Net" time is the actual time it took you from Start line to Finish line. Gross time is baiscally from race start to you crossing the finish line. Therefore it took you 40 seconds to get to the start line after the gun.