Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

I did my fastest parkrun in 12 months this morn after not having visited for a while. The spin class must be helping. Very sore legs now though just below my calves. I had planned on doing a spin class after but that turned out to be a bit optimistic for me at this stage.

Yes also heard Victoria is flatter but then it doesn't have the downhill either...

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2014, 11:22:14 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 21, 2014, 11:17:15 PM
MR2, I'll be at Waterworks in the morn...though prob a bit windy for it tomorrow.

I'm looking to do the Victoria one for a change, heard it's flater!! 20.44 is my best at Waterworks. I've a couple of classes on Sat mornings I do at the gym which clash!! But prep for Downpatrick will be a few Waterworks ones

Victoria park parkrun is currently at an alternative location due to work in victoria. The alternate is not flat...

Ormeau the flattest.

CD

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 22, 2014, 01:54:54 PM
MR2, I'll be at Waterworks in the morn...though prob a bit windy for it tomorrow.

I'm looking to do the Victoria one for a change, heard it's flater!! 20.44 is my best at Waterworks. I've a couple of classes on Sat mornings I do at the gym which clash!! But prep for Downpatrick will be a few Waterworks ones

Victoria park parkrun is currently at an alternative location due to work in victoria. The alternate is not flat...

Ormeau the flattest.

I like the Queens run - nice challenging trail and the facilities are good - changing and showers etc. Not the fastest but definitely a good run. I was desperate this morning all the same! Great conditions for a change and I died! Not enough sleep around here at the mo. Looking forward to the Cara 10mile next week!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on February 22, 2014, 01:52:02 PM
I did my fastest parkrun in 12 months this morn after not having visited for a while. The spin class must be helping. Very sore legs now though just below my calves. I had planned on doing a spin class after but that turned out to be a bit optimistic for me at this stage.

Yes also heard Victoria is flatter but then it doesn't have the downhill either...

Get the Roller on the calf Rois, helps big time and well done today

Quote from: CD on February 22, 2014, 02:28:54 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 22, 2014, 01:54:54 PM

Ormeau the flattest.

I like the Queens run - nice challenging trail and the facilities are good - changing and showers etc. Not the fastest but definitely a good run. I was desperate this morning all the same! Great conditions for a change and I died! Not enough sleep around here at the mo. Looking forward to the Cara 10mile next week!

I haerd the queens one is good, must give it a try also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gerry

done the omagh cbs 10k in 54 minutes this morning, happy to run a mile in under 9 minutes. 
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gerry on February 22, 2014, 04:06:16 PM
done the omagh cbs 10k in 54 minutes this morning, happy to run a mile in under 9 minutes.

Did my 10K route today, just under 46mins, fierce head wind in parts, up hill (typically) ffs but happy enough, getting there
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2014, 11:57:16 AM

Did my 10K route today, just under 46mins, fierce head wind in parts, up hill (typically) ffs but happy enough, getting there

Good running in that weather MR2. I hate running in the wind!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on February 23, 2014, 12:13:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2014, 11:57:16 AM

Good running in that weather MR2. I hate running in the wind!

Wasn't goint to head out, especially after the feed of Guiness I had yesterday during the Ireland game!! Nothing beats reaching the door knowing it's done, and the route was exactly 10k so that's me sorted

Bingo

Picked it up this last week/ten days and ran a 5km in Dundalk yesterday. Was a pancake flat route, happy to finish in 19.53 for it and probably had another bit in tank but set out to break 20mins and stuck to it. Nice 5miles this morning and slowly getting back in the swings if things.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on February 23, 2014, 06:59:48 PM
Picked it up this last week/ten days and ran a 5km in Dundalk yesterday. Was a pancake flat route, happy to finish in 19.53 for it and probably had another bit in tank but set out to break 20mins and stuck to it. Nice 5miles this morning and slowly getting back in the swings if things.

I was going to do the toepath near me today and break (try) my 20min 5k target and jog back, but will pick a park run for it. Going to give the legs a session on the roller now!!

magpie seanie

Just entered the 10k in Bundoran on Saturday. No going back now. Had planned to do 5.5 to 6 miles last Thursday but misjudged the distance and only did 5.2 miles but I suppose it's good enough. Looking forward to it if a little nervous. A few handy runs this week to keep me ticking over and hopefully the weather won't be too bad on Saturday.

CD

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 24, 2014, 04:10:54 PM
Just entered the 10k in Bundoran on Saturday. No going back now. Had planned to do 5.5 to 6 miles last Thursday but misjudged the distance and only did 5.2 miles but I suppose it's good enough. Looking forward to it if a little nervous. A few handy runs this week to keep me ticking over and hopefully the weather won't be too bad on Saturday.
See you there Seanie. I'll be the one on the respirator!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: CD on February 24, 2014, 07:02:57 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 24, 2014, 04:10:54 PM
See you there Seanie. I'll be the one on the respirator!!

If the 4k I ran at lunchtime is any indicator I'll be fighting you for that respirator!!! I suppose it was a bit windy.

Just Puck It

Don't really post much in here but read it almost everyday! If nothing else it's good to see others' successes and failure and it gives me some help!  Just thought I'd give a bit of an update about how I'm getting on with my first marathon (and first serious bit of running ever)!  Just in the middle of week 7 of a 16 week training program and it's going great.  Ran 4 miles on Monday and 6 miles yesterday afternoon and felt brilliant.  Didn't do anything at all last week and went out on Saturday and died after 3 miles so it was big relief to feel good during and after the last two runs.  Another 4 miles sometime before the weekend then we've a big charity run on Sunday from Ballycastle to Cushendall (15 miles).  Going to try and do the whole thing and focus on bringing the pace down a lot - 6 miles yesterday was at 8 minutes per mile which I know isn't realistic for longer runs.  Managed 12.35 miles a couple of weekends ago and it was 8:43 minutes per mile but that's probably still too fast?

Using an app on my phone called RunKeeper and it's great to try and keep the right pace.  Wee man tells me in my ear every five minutes what pace I'm running so it's a good reminder whether to speed up/slow down, although I'm still too competitive and hate when he tells me I'm slower than yesterday!

I think this is where it's really going to get tough with the longer runs during the week added in with training with the club.  Today's supposed to be a 'rest day' but we've training tonight! 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Just Puck It on February 26, 2014, 11:35:15 AM
Don't really post much in here but read it almost everyday! If nothing else it's good to see others' successes and failure and it gives me some help!  Just thought I'd give a bit of an update about how I'm getting on with my first marathon (and first serious bit of running ever)!  Just in the middle of week 7 of a 16 week training program and it's going great.  Ran 4 miles on Monday and 6 miles yesterday afternoon and felt brilliant.  Didn't do anything at all last week and went out on Saturday and died after 3 miles so it was big relief to feel good during and after the last two runs.  Another 4 miles sometime before the weekend then we've a big charity run on Sunday from Ballycastle to Cushendall (15 miles).  Going to try and do the whole thing and focus on bringing the pace down a lot - 6 miles yesterday was at 8 minutes per mile which I know isn't realistic for longer runs.  Managed 12.35 miles a couple of weekends ago and it was 8:43 minutes per mile but that's probably still too fast?

Using an app on my phone called RunKeeper and it's great to try and keep the right pace.  Wee man tells me in my ear every five minutes what pace I'm running so it's a good reminder whether to speed up/slow down, although I'm still too competitive and hate when he tells me I'm slower than yesterday!

I think this is where it's really going to get tough with the longer runs during the week added in with training with the club.  Today's supposed to be a 'rest day' but we've training tonight!

That's the killer, If training 2/3 a week with club and running every other day to allow the rest you need to look at your timetable and fix it around your club training as that won't be as flexible as going out for a run. Your legs need rest to.

It's a toughy. I find (coming from a gaa background, competitiveness) setting a pace difficult, always too quick out of the blocks and go through a period of the run a lot slower, It's only when I look at the Garmin for my target pace that I realise I'm slower.

Is the marathon clashing with a fixture? (just checked) Think there are games on the 21st April and 10th May so you may be lucky enough