Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

What's your target pace in marathon?? That's a lot of miles and a lot of "quality"!

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 18, 2014, 10:52:25 PM
What's your target pace in marathon?? That's a lot of miles and a lot of "quality"!
I'll know where I'm at after Carlingford to be honest, if I get close to 80mins for the half....6.30-6.35 would be ideal.
Depending what corral i'm put in...hoping for coral 1 so will get out early with fist 5,000 runners...Corral 2 is 20,000 so can be quite slow going from what I heard.

imtommygunn

You've a good bit of time left too so if you're up to 21 already you're motoring. Think carlingford course is decent so i'm sure you'll fly round it. Should probably place well too.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on February 18, 2014, 10:50:10 PM
Correct muppet.

Haven't come acorss it myself moy so not in a position to help sadly. Would you have run the day after before? Can imagine losing  a pint would have some affect on performance in the short term..
Am going to the gears these last few weeks.....last week entailed.

Monday - 11 miles - 5.45am steady @7.20 average
Tuesday 14.5 miles at @6.55  mile average
Wednesday - 5 miles easy
Thursday - 5.45am 3 mile tempo @6.10 pace, 11 x 300m hill repeats followed by 3 mile tempo @6.20 ( nearly puked)
Friday - Gym, stretching, core
Saturday - 21 miles, mile 12.5 to 18 at @6.35 pace......
Sunday - OFF!

Feeling in good shape, 9 weeks to Boston yesterday, 7 weeks more hard training with a 2 week taper. Just need to stay well and injury free and could turn in a decent performance!

Yes I have and I always felt I struggled. But the medics reckon that it shouldn t happen. Also well restless and agitated after the run, rather than the usual buzz.

ballinaman

You're basically doing the opposite of blood doping Moy there so I can see how it wouldn't make you feel hectic...give it a day or 2 and see how you are post run.

Few more to do Tommy, 22 planned for this Saturday and then another 18x2.  Will try a few marathon pace miles for last 3-4 miles of those runs to let the legs know what they are hopefully in for.
Will just see how it goes in Carlingford, cheers for the heads up re the course,haven't even researched it at all, going to train hard next week as per the training plan so won't be annoyed if don't run that well.

LeoMc

Quote from: gerry on February 18, 2014, 10:20:29 PM
people tell me if you can 10 you can do it but i rather have done 13 so i know i can do it.  i find trying to convince your head that you can do it  more important than convincing your legs.

Unless they have changed the route you are heading out the Cookstown road at that point. I did something similar to you and had been running 9's and 10's thinking I would be grand but that long slow drag up past TC autos near did for me.

Rois

Quote from: LeoMc on February 21, 2014, 01:15:52 PM
Quote from: gerry on February 18, 2014, 10:20:29 PM
people tell me if you can 10 you can do it but i rather have done 13 so i know i can do it.  i find trying to convince your head that you can do it  more important than convincing your legs.

Unless they have changed the route you are heading out the Cookstown road at that point. I did something similar to you and had been running 9's and 10's thinking I would be grand but that long slow drag up past TC autos near did for me.

Same here (only for Dublin half), max I ran was 11m and really wish I'd just done the full thing as I struggled between 10 and 12. 

gerry

I am doing the omagh cbs 10k tomorrow all being well Leo.   The road past tc autos looks flat until you run or cycle up it
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

laoislad

Lidl have a range of running gear in their stores this week.
Picked up a few pairs of non blister running socks today.
Only €2.99 for 2 pairs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

take_yer_points

Was up to 11 mile last weekend. Went out today aiming for 12 and totally misjudged it - ended up doing just over 14. Struggled over the last mile or so but delighted to get up to that distance. Averaged 8 mins 20 secs for the run so well within the 4 hour pace for the marathon in May. Really enjoying it all!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 21, 2014, 08:46:25 PM
Was up to 11 mile last weekend. Went out today aiming for 12 and totally misjudged it - ended up doing just over 14. Struggled over the last mile or so but delighted to get up to that distance. Averaged 8 mins 20 secs for the run so well within the 4 hour pace for the marathon in May. Really enjoying it all!

Good stuff, were you lucky enough to miss the bad weather? Are you properly warming down afterwards and stretching? And make sure you buy one of those rollers, they are great for rubbing out those aches.

Did 3 mile run today and yesterday, yesterdays was done in twenty minutes  and today's was a gradient of 6 on the treadmill, was tough, will do my 10k run on Sunday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2014, 08:52:59 PM

Good stuff, were you lucky enough to miss the bad weather? Are you properly warming down afterwards and stretching? And make sure you buy one of those rollers, they are great for rubbing out those aches.

Did 3 mile run today and yesterday, yesterdays was done in twenty minutes  and today's was a gradient of 6 on the treadmill, was tough, will do my 10k run on Sunday

Yeah, missed the worst of it. Came in the towpath from Jordanstown to Belfast and there was a lot of wind but missed all the rain.

I'd need to be a bit better at the stretching but I did do a bit. I'm fair and sore at the minute but should be ready for a few mile on Sunday or Monday.

3 mile in 20 mins is good going - near the 20 min 5k then!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 21, 2014, 09:20:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2014, 08:52:59 PM

Yeah, missed the worst of it. Came in the towpath from Jordanstown to Belfast and there was a lot of wind but missed all the rain.

I'd need to be a bit better at the stretching but I did do a bit. I'm fair and sore at the minute but should be ready for a few mile on Sunday or Monday.

3 mile in 20 mins is good going - near the 20 min 5k then!!

Nearly, very doable, just waiting on a the right Parkrun to hit it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

MR2, I'll be at Waterworks in the morn...though prob a bit windy for it tomorrow.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on February 21, 2014, 11:17:15 PM
MR2, I'll be at Waterworks in the morn...though prob a bit windy for it tomorrow.

I'm looking to do the Victoria one for a change, heard it's flater!! 20.44 is my best at Waterworks. I've a couple of classes on Sat mornings I do at the gym which clash!! But prep for Downpatrick will be a few Waterworks ones