Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on February 16, 2014, 09:24:03 PM
Started at a place near Derriaghy, classes only, called Pure Class Fitness, because I'm living over in Dunmurry now. Part of the pre-marriage compromise!

Halfway point!! Very good, I in the other hand just moved into the street where she was brought up!! No compromise but in fairness I aint complaining, the Falls aint what it used to be......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

A tasty 8 miles this morning in an hour flat! Came home all a buzz and signed up for the Cara 10mile and Omagh half marathon. Should I have waited until the adrenalin wore off??  ;)
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Rois

Quote from: CD on February 18, 2014, 02:10:07 PM
A tasty 8 miles this morning in an hour flat! Came home all a buzz and signed up for the Cara 10mile and Omagh half marathon. Should I have waited until the adrenalin wore off??  ;)
No way - it's a brilliant feeling when a run goes well!

Mr Rois-to-be is training for his first marathon and he only runs once a week - he's going flat out at circuit classes twice a week and feeling really good. Did 16 miles in 2hrs 8 mins on Sat. Doesn't sound like great prep but he's happy enough.

gerry

thinking of doing the Omagh half marathon myself but need to get more miles in.  i ran 8 mile last night in 80 minutes, how many miles would i need to be running before i take on a half marathon?

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

laoislad

Quote from: gerry on February 18, 2014, 09:42:27 PM
thinking of doing the Omagh half marathon myself but need to get more miles in.  i ran 8 mile last night in 80 minutes, how many miles would i need to be running before i take on a half marathon?
It's only another 5 miles I'd say you would do it now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerry

hopefully, but would like to get a few 10 milers done first

moysider

Quote from: gerry on February 18, 2014, 10:06:59 PM
hopefully, but would like to get a few 10 milers done first

Try to get the distance or maybe a little bit more would be my advice. I remember having a terrible last 2 miles in my first 1/2.
I d only got to 10 or 11 in training and people said that would get me around. It would have if I was sensible and knew then what I know now, but against better judgement we do ratchet it up when its a race. My advice is to get the distance into your legs first.

laoislad

I went out again tonight after my struggles on Sunday.
Felt much better and flew through a quick 5k.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerry

people tell me if you can 10 you can do it but i rather have done 13 so i know i can do it.  i find trying to convince your head that you can do it  more important than convincing your legs. 

moysider

Any other runner on here suffer from haemochromatosis?

I had a venesection done yesterday ( pint of blood drained) and struggled during and after run tonight. It was fast - but not that fast - and I was dropped by the group.

Because my haemoglobin levels are supposed to be able to hold up with this condition my performance in theory is not supposed to be affected by a section. I m not so sure as I ve struggled after sections before. Can t find any info online anywhere. Anybody know anything?

moysider

Quote from: gerry on February 18, 2014, 10:20:29 PM
people tell me if you can 10 you can do it but i rather have done 13 so i know i can do it.  i find trying to convince your head that you can do it  more important than convincing your legs.

That may well be so Gerry but in my experience if your legs really pack-in there s not a bloody thing your head can do about it! not even if you were Sigmund Freud. Get the distance done. Equally people who want to do 10ks comfortably should be running well over the distance regularly in training, 7/8 miles with an odd comfortable 10 thrown in.

Wildweasel74

gonna have to get off my ass  and do some exercise, after watching Patsy forbes on run grandad run, i come to the conclusion that a 72 yr old man woudl destroy me in sprint, woudltn be so bad but i got 33yrs on him and was one of the fastest lads to come out of my school, how times change.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on February 18, 2014, 10:29:51 PM
Quote from: gerry on February 18, 2014, 10:20:29 PM

That may well be so Gerry but in my experience if your legs really pack-in there s not a bloody thing your head can do about it! not even if you were Sigmund Freud. Get the distance done. Equally people who want to do 10ks comfortably should be running well over the distance regularly in training, 7/8 miles with an odd comfortable 10 thrown in.

i presume this logic applies to anyone trying to improve their 5k time? Do some 6, 7 or 8k runs?
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Yes. The aerobic benefit will help your time... Bigger distances harder to go over as the tiredness you get from the distance outweighs the benefit so not as applicable to a half marathon.

ballinaman

Correct muppet.

Haven't come acorss it myself moy so not in a position to help sadly. Would you have run the day after before? Can imagine losing  a pint would have some affect on performance in the short term..

Am going to the gears these last few weeks.....last week entailed.

Monday - 11 miles - 5.45am steady @7.20 average
Tuesday 14.5 miles at @6.55  mile average
Wednesday - 5 miles easy
Thursday - 5.45am 3 mile tempo @6.10 pace, 11 x 300m hill repeats followed by 3 mile tempo @6.20 ( nearly puked)
Friday - Gym, stretching, core
Saturday - 21 miles, mile 12.5 to 18 at @6.35 pace......
Sunday - OFF!

Feeling in good shape, 9 weeks to Boston yesterday, 7 weeks more hard training with a 2 week taper. Just need to stay well and injury free and could turn in a decent performance!