Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I used to get fit fairly handy, but I'm 40 now. The first two nights were grand, but I find running boring. I'll stick at it though, because I need to get back to some semblance of fitness.

magpie seanie

I think Carlingford is going to be a bit awkward for me so I reckon I won't make it. Sorry guys - fully intended to make it but sometimes you have to pick your battles! Will probably do my first 10k that weekend in Bundoran instead.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2014, 03:06:57 PM
I used to get fit fairly handy, but I'm 40 now. The first two nights were grand, but I find running boring. I'll stick at it though, because I need to get back to some semblance of fitness.

It is boring but pick a distance and make that your goal, I aint doing more than 10k and trying to get a decent pace over that distance, hard on your bones. Out of all the classes I do it's the one that burns the most calories, fat and the highest heart rate.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on February 11, 2014, 02:20:20 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 11, 2014, 02:08:13 PM
Just back from my lunchtime 4k. As I stepped out the first few flakes of snow dropped and it ended up snowing heavily enough for the duration. It was magic! Beat my pb for that route with a nice controlled run. Am making a bit of progress with my pace over the 4-5k distance. Need to up the distances though but am running regularly again after it being a bit hit and miss for a while.
Careful Seanie! ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f85bdCzrNkY

;D Excellent
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2014, 02:56:41 PM
I've just started this couch to 10k lark. 2 nights in. Hmmmm.

Would you not start with couch to 5k first? Might be less boring and you should get to your goal a bit quicker. You'll have the running bug by then I promise,then you'll be motivated to go onto 10k and more.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2014, 02:56:41 PM
I've just started this couch to 10k lark. 2 nights in. Hmmmm.

Good man. You'll fly it, although I agree with LL about doing 5K first.

You may not have seen this:

Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2013, 07:06:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2009, 04:19:40 PM
21 years ago I ran a 5 mile road race in just under 30 minutes.

Now I would need cardiac massage after 30 metres.

Quote from: muppet on April 03, 2012, 06:04:16 PM
Day 1 Week 1: Downloaded App.

Pretty wrecked.

Quote from: Orior on December 25, 2012, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 22, 2012, 05:48:32 PM
Completed my third parkrun today.

45 seconds slower than my PB. Blaming age.

My fourth Parkrun today, and a new personal best! However still havent broken 25 mins for 5km which is embarrassingly poor.

Fcuk the olympians here, well done. 25 for 5k is great and I would be very happy with that. I had to quit in the early summer due to a knee problem, having got up to 4k quickly. I started again recently but still haven't even done a 5k slowly. But I'll get there.
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2013, 06:40:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2013, 06:04:47 PM
After failing to get to 5K last year due to injury, old age and frustration, I started again today.

I ran 1 mile, badly. I am absolutely f*cked.

From now on, can all runners posting here divide their distances by 10 so I don't feel too bad?

Muppet, keep her lit, I am just back running after a long lay off (serious injury, my leg had a very bad case of lazy arsed-itis!).  You and I can compare our absolute shitedness in terms of metres coverd and days taken!!!  BTW, you have an absolute unfair physical advantage over me, I am a fat b**tard!

Just back from Monsoon training an hour ago.

Went all the way back to the start of C25K. I am determined to finish this time.

Quote from: muppet on August 17, 2013, 11:53:34 AM
Back to week 1 again. Attempt number 4.  ::)

I'll run a 5k yet if it f*cking kills me.

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2013, 04:04:06 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2013, 09:08:35 AM
Ran 10k for first time ever over weekend. Actually ended up doing 11k as I was feeling good.

The 10k took me just over 55mins which I was happy enough with as I took my time on the first few km so as I wouldn't burn out.Really confident I can get that time down with a bit of practice.
Delighted with myself now as only just over two months ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds without stopping.

Fair play LL.

I have to start again.

5 k*kking K!

30 mins exactly but I don't care.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Just entered the Jimmy's ten race for the 16th March, very popular race by all accounts. Think Tommy is doing it, anyone else? I'm in Derry the weekend of Carlingford, apologies

http://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/JimmysTen1
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Not this year... Did it last year but only on the comeback. Good race though I wouldn't call it flat...

Will be plenty out to drag you round and you'll get a good feed afterwards!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 12, 2014, 03:57:37 PM
Not this year... Did it last year but only on the comeback. Good race though I wouldn't call it flat...

Will be plenty out to drag you round and you'll get a good feed afterwards!

Bit of a hill to start with tommy? Been doing a hilly enough route of late anyways so good enough prep. Looking 43 or below, will I get bogged down at the start?

imtommygunn

There's a sharp hill at the start - if I mind rightly takes you round the back of the cathedral and then you go back down. The rest of it isn't flat but isn't overly hilly. (Goes up a bit on the way out but evens out)

That's early enough though that you'll recover from it alright so nothing too major.

You'd be grand. Try and get nearish the front - you should get a chip time anyway though.

muppet

I am definitely not running tonight!   :(
MWWSI 2017

No1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2014, 03:32:15 PM
Just entered the Jimmy's ten race for the 16th March, very popular race by all accounts. Think Tommy is doing it, anyone else? I'm in Derry the weekend of Carlingford, apologies

http://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/JimmysTen1

Aye, I'm doing it. Cathedral Hill at the start is a hoor! Doing our club 10k on Sunday 23rd Feb to see how far off the pace I am!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on February 12, 2014, 06:25:07 PM

Went out with wife tonight in the wind and rain, not as bad as down south but hard enough!!

laoislad

I haven't been out at all this month!
Staying away working tomorrow so might try and find a hotel with a treadmill.

AZOffaly

I went out. Was just going to do a short one, but ended up doing 28km in 4 and a half minutes.