Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on January 28, 2014, 04:41:06 PM
Btw those runs where everything feels great are just magic!
Few and far between but they keep you going.
Bit like how a good round of Golf or in my case one good golf shot out of 100+ makes you want to go play another 18 straight away!
I've had a great month of running so far. Have done almost 120km this month and have all been decent enough runs for me.
I dunno about ye but I love running in the rain!

I do too and always liked playing football in the rain. It's the wind that's a pain (unless it''s at my back!).

Pity that you'll miss Carlingford but pretty obvious you need to do the Kildare one. 120k this month is brilliant. Hard to think you would barely manage 20 minutes running 7 months or so ago.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 28, 2014, 05:08:45 PM
Bit like how a good round of Golf or in my case one good golf shot out of 100+ makes you want to go play another 18 straight away!
I've had a great month of running so far. Have done almost 120km this month and have all been decent enough runs for me.

I do too and always liked playing football in the rain. It's the wind that's a pain (unless it''s at my back!).

Pity that you'll miss Carlingford but pretty obvious you need to do the Kildare one. 120k this month is brilliant. Hard to think you would barely manage 20 minutes running 7 months or so ago.

No problem running his mouth off though ;)

Yep, seems there's a lot on the running game here now. I've only managed to record half that distance as I'll be in the gym on the treads but 120 is some distance in four weeks LL
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2014, 07:03:00 PM

Yep, seems there's a lot on the running game here now. I've only managed to record half that distance as I'll be in the gym on the treads but 120 is some distance in four weeks LL
The wife's been annoyed with me all month, I can't say anything right to her at the moment!
Great excuse to get out of house and go running hence all the  km!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on January 28, 2014, 07:10:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2014, 07:03:00 PM

The wife's been annoyed with me all month, I can't say anything right to her at the moment!
Great excuse to get out of house and go running hence all the  km!

Problem is you're out running, getting the fit and healthy feeling, healthy dinners no doubt and feeling good, it's January, it's cold the shopping spree is well over and she's pissed off at the new you!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 28, 2014, 04:58:44 PM
What are you hoping to achieve from the shorter runs - fitness or speed??

One of the best forms of training in my view is what is called tempo running. Tempo running is also known as Lactate Threshold training. Lactate Threshold is below anaerobic - to be honest you won't benefit particularly much for longer distance running going anaerobic (unless you're talking shorter intervals). Lactate Threshold training is 85% (max) so in your case you shouldn't push it any more than about 166.

It works very well - train below the edge but only just and then it keeps pushing it. One a week of 4 to 5 mile is what I normally would do...

A mixture of fitness and speed - is that taking the easy way out? My main goal is to get round the marathon course inside 4 hours. Having said that, I'd prefer to be doing it closer to 3 and a half. The tempo running sounds good - I'll start working that in to one of my shorter mid week runs

imtommygunn

You're better focussing it.

When training you're better targetting what kind of fitness by training in "zones". The tempo training is a zone that works for any distance of running so I would recommend one a week in your training.

If you try fitness and speed you'll get a bit of both but not enough of either...

Mayo4Sam

Maybe a table would be handy to keep track/compare/thrash talk. Sets out a goal for the year as well so you can see who you're comparing yourself to.
Kms of course

I've added in the last few posters so you can see the format, just quote the last post with the table in it to change the table

NameGoalJanFebMarAprMayJuneJulyAugSeptOctNovDec
Mayo4Sam                           5k - Sub 19                   164.39   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
Ballinaman000000000000
imtommygunn000000000000
Laoislad000000000000
Milltownrow2000000000000
Take_yer_points000000000000
Magpie Seanie000000000000

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Ah here....I'm a miles man myself....is the 164.39 you're total km for January?

Denn Forever

Don't forget Muppet.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

My goal is sub 20mins for 5k (was my target last year but had a hamstring injury for a fair bit) and 43mins for 10k, Kilometers so far in Jan has been 95, mix of outside runs and running on treads.

Strava has a great site to log everyones targets

downredblack

Anyone ever suffer from Plantar fasciitis (joggers heel ) ? What can you do get rid of it ? Appreciate any help .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 29, 2014, 10:41:24 AM
Maybe a table would be handy to keep track/compare/thrash talk. Sets out a goal for the year as well so you can see who you're comparing yourself to.
Kms of course

I've added in the last few posters so you can see the format, just quote the last post with the table in it to change the table

NameGoalJanFebMarAprMayJuneJulyAugSeptOctNovDec
Mayo4Sam                           5k - Sub 19                   164.39   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
Ballinaman000000000000
imtommygunn000000000000
Laoislad000000000000
Milltownrow2goal sub 20min 5K, 43min 10k9500000000000
Take_yer_points000000000000
Magpie Seanie000000000000

Billys Boots

Quote from: downredblack on January 29, 2014, 11:29:15 AM
Anyone ever suffer from Plantar fasciitis (joggers heel ) ? What can you do get rid of it ? Appreciate any help .

Stretch your achilles tendon before running - lots of heel-drops always helped me with that.  I didn't have your condition, but (football-related) wrecked ankle-joints.  If you've had achilles injuries you'll need to get rid of any remaining scar tissue through physiotherapy or physical therapy. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

imtommygunn

Stretch the calves out... Also you can roll either a tennis ball or a coke can beneath the feet. Check out youtube for it. It'll hurt but do it daily until it doesn't any more. The calves are probably the symptom but the coke can will get rid of the effect so try and address both...

First run last week as I'm on the recovery from "chronic achilles tendonitis" so that's my excuse for 20k!! On a good month hit about 160-170 miles...

Table screwed up on me so will post it when I work it out!!

Milltown Row2

6 miles a day or so, when you break it down like that it doesn't really sound as massive, which in practice it really is. 10K a day for a month!!