Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Does Belfast do a half marathon that day?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dubh driocht

The first Belfast half was last September, on the day of the AI football final. There is a fun-run and relay on the day of the full marathon on May bank holiday.

Milltown Row2

8.2 K today, extended the run a bit, 1.8 to add to it to get the distance. Managed in those conditions (Though I missed the worst of it) to do it in 38 mins, wee bit more to find for my target time.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 17, 2014, 11:36:49 PM
I signed up today
Signed up there too for the 1/2 in Carlingford.

3 days left when it's 25 euro, goes up by 10 then.

magpie seanie

Have a 4k loop I run at lunchtime 2-3 times a week. Keeps me ticking over nicely and try to get a longer run in at the weekend. Today was magic. Just one of those days where for no particular reason I felt brilliant and crushed my previous best time. I'm still operating at the slow end of things but for me it was great.

Still not sure if I can make Carlingford. Looking forward to getting a pint with LL after years of us fighting like looneys with each other but just not sure if I can make it or not. If I do I'll do the 10k. If not I'll have to settle for the 10k in Bundoran that weekend. Will be my first 10k either way that weekend, fingers crossed.

muppet

Having finally reached 5k I took two months off to celebrate.

+4kgs.

I start again next week. This time the goal is to actually run a 5k race somewhere.
MWWSI 2017

An Gaeilgoir

Best of luck with the future endeavors MS, i know how you feel, went out for a run last night in Dublin in the rain, everything felt good, did a 15k loop and like you crushed my time, could have ran the loop again.....its nights like that that make it worthwhile....

magpie seanie

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 28, 2014, 04:03:40 PM
Best of luck with the future endeavors MS, i know how you feel, went out for a run last night in Dublin in the rain, everything felt good, did a 15k loop and like you crushed my time, could have ran the loop again.....its nights like that that make it worthwhile....

Yeah - that's why I said I'd mention it. I get a few of the opposite too mind you, when for no reason you just struggle and grind out the run and the only enjoyment is 30 seconds after it's over!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 28, 2014, 03:58:05 PM
Have a 4k loop I run at lunchtime 2-3 times a week. Keeps me ticking over nicely and try to get a longer run in at the weekend. Today was magic. Just one of those days where for no particular reason I felt brilliant and crushed my previous best time. I'm still operating at the slow end of things but for me it was great.

Still not sure if I can make Carlingford. Looking forward to getting a pint with LL after years of us fighting like looneys with each other but just not sure if I can make it or not. If I do I'll do the 10k. If not I'll have to settle for the 10k in Bundoran that weekend. Will be my first 10k either way that weekend, fingers crossed.

I'm raging that I'll miss it as I'm in Derry with the missus for a dirty romantic weekend but have plans to do the Jimmy 10k in Downpatrick day before Paddy's day, though I've run into a snag with that already, mates 50th (50!! fcuk) is on the Sat in Belfast so I'll have to watch my drink :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2014, 04:02:33 PM

+4kgs.

I start again next week. This time the goal is to actually run a 5k race somewhere.
There is a parkrun in Westport muppet....free 5k every Saturday morning. Could be a good target.

http://www.parkrun.ie/westport/

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on January 28, 2014, 04:11:26 PM

+4kgs.

There is a parkrun in Westport muppet....free 5k every Saturday morning. Could be a good target.

Cheers but the one in Malahide is much closer these days.

Westport would be a nice longer term target though.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2014, 04:34:59 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 28, 2014, 04:11:26 PM

+4kgs.

Cheers but the one in Malahide is much closer these days.

Westport would be a nice longer term target though.
haha, fair enough. Lovely one in St Anne's park Raheny, flat as a pancake and there is one starting in Ardgillan in Balbriggan in 2 weeks...tough course though!

laoislad

Btw those runs where everything feels great are just magic!
Few and far between but they keep you going.
Bit like how a good round of Golf or in my case one good golf shot out of 100+ makes you want to go play another 18 straight away!
I've had a great month of running so far. Have done almost 120km this month and have all been decent enough runs for me.
I dunno about ye but I love running in the rain!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

take_yer_points

Lads

I'm getting into the training a bit more - into week 5 now of the marathon training. Got up to just over 7 mile last Friday and felt comfortable enough.

I'm doing 3 relatively short runs a week at the moment (2 x 3 mile and 1 x 4 mile) and then my longer run at the weekend - I'm increasing that by a mile or two every week. The shorter runs will increase as I go as well up to a maximum of 2 x 5 mile and 1 x 8 mile). Up unil last week I'd been going fairly flat out for all the runs but that obviously isn't going to keep up and I suppose isn't what I should be doing either.

So I invested in a Polar heart rate monitor. I did the resting heart rate test and it came in at 47. My maximum heart rate is 187. So I think that leaves my aerobic heart rate at 131 - 145 beats per minute and anaerobic at 159 - 173 beats per minute. My plan now is to stay in the aerobic zone or just above it for the long weekend run, for the shortest two runs to be in the anaerobic zone (increased speed and hills), and for the longer mid-week run to be somewhere in the middle.

Does that sound logical or am I totally missing the point of monitoring my heart rate?

imtommygunn

What are you hoping to achieve from the shorter runs - fitness or speed??

One of the best forms of training in my view is what is called tempo running. Tempo running is also known as Lactate Threshold training. Lactate Threshold is below anaerobic - to be honest you won't benefit particularly much for longer distance running going anaerobic (unless you're talking shorter intervals). Lactate Threshold training is 85% (max) so in your case you shouldn't push it any more than about 166.

It works very well - train below the edge but only just and then it keeps pushing it. One a week of 4 to 5 mile is what I normally would do...