Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

That's a great site Ballinaman - would swear by it.

Yes LL - get the body used to more running but at a progressive level. Maybe if you want to take in a race or two and see what you're caoable of but you want to start a plan fresh too so it's about finding a balance.

Conditioning of glutes very important so basic exercises and a bit of stretching.

BM more speedwork than I would say you need for a marathon in that plan but I suppose speed in the legs always good.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 22, 2014, 03:23:40 PM

Yes LL - get the body used to more running but at a progressive level. Maybe if you want to take in a race or two and see what you're caoable of but you want to start a plan fresh too so it's about finding a balance.

Conditioning of glutes very important so basic exercises and a bit of stretching.

BM more speedwork than I would say you need for a marathon in that plan but I suppose speed in the legs always good.
Yep, they are on the ball. Do you listen to the podcast? Well worth a look, find them much better than Marathon Talk which is more popular.

Ya, there is a nice bit of speed in the race prep part of the program but it's really the lactic threshold and tempo runs that I feel are where you get your improvements.
Plan to do a 21 on Saturday morning in the Phoenix Park. Doing the Irish Runner 5 mile course 4 times and a bit in reverse a few times, long hills and long downhills are the key for Boston I've been told. Last 6 miles are basically downhill after heartbreak hill and if you don't have the hammers or glutes used to running downhill when tired you'll cramp up big style.

imtommygunn

I bought a core program from them (only 3.99 mind) and subscribed to their online running course thing - more out of interest than anything else. I've only occassionally listened to their podcast but read a lot of their material and think it's top drawer. i've been out for ages so core and cross training is all I've been doing but their program has brought me on a lot.

Yes tempo for marathon is where the gains are at. I've only ran phoenix park once for the great ireland run - I ran a 5k PB in the first half of a 10k and the 2nd half(the one with the hills) was a blur as I was hanging on but I do remember thinking - when the feck will these hills ever end!!

What's your marathon PB? You ran 2:5x something didn't you?

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on January 22, 2014, 04:18:24 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 22, 2014, 03:23:40 PM

Yep, they are on the ball. Do you listen to the podcast? Well worth a look, find them much better than Marathon Talk which is more popular.

Ya, there is a nice bit of speed in the race prep part of the program but it's really the lactic threshold and tempo runs that I feel are where you get your improvements.
Plan to do a 21 on Saturday morning in the Phoenix Park. Doing the Irish Runner 5 mile course 4 times and a bit in reverse a few times, long hills and long downhills are the key for Boston I've been told. Last 6 miles are basically downhill after heartbreak hill and if you don't have the hammers or glutes used to running downhill when tired you'll cramp up big style.

Does that go up Military Hill?

Edit: Just had a look at I see that it does. This is the route I have been doing on Saturday mornings for my long runs.
It's a nice route with a few tough hills. Went round it twice last Saturday.

Are you out in the Park much? I'm there most Saturday mornings. You've probably sprinted passed me some morning as I'm struggling along at a snails pace!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

imtommygunn : Is that course any use? The 6 week one...Think I'm going to get it soon enough. Looks like it could be good and very affordable, they are making a ball of money off it I reckon. I think I might have to make one! haha...Compared to Santry asking for up to 800euro for there one..crazy money for what they are offering.
Ya, currently at 2.56.31, maybe could have done a bit better but was scared shitless of blowing up ala the 1st marathon. Hope to give it a lash this time but weather in Boston is notorious, freezing...baking heat or windy so will just have to see what it's like.

laoislad : Yep, that's the one...up by St Marys hospital. I park on Furze Road , handy for 5 mile loop. I think I might have passed last Saturday week at the stop of the hill after St.Marys hospital where you veered off the main road to the left down the other path. You had the headphones in so doubt ya heard me saying Up Tranmere and sun was blinding.. :D I'll be out this Saturday Morning,between 8 and 9 depending what time I roll out of the bed.

And you were moving much faster than a snails pace by the way!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on January 22, 2014, 06:15:43 PM

And you were moving much faster than a snails pace by the way!

?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Just Puck It

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2014, 12:46:44 PM
Quote from: Just Puck It on January 22, 2014, 12:39:41 PM
Signed up for the full Belfast Marathon in May and intend to try and follow the program below for it.  Will be fitting it in around hurling training from now until the big day.  Started off on Monday on week 2, with 3 miles, and have 4 to do this evening, but my legs are in agony!  Did plenty of stretching before and after and spent last night doing flexability and foam rolling...will the pain get more bearable? Or are my legs going to ache for the next 4 months? 

Haven't done any proper running outside hurling training really ever..will I be able to do both effectively?   

Fair play, I'd say it will be hard enough to fit in with the hurling also, You'll probably have a match on the Sunday beforehand lol

Running on the pitch and running on the roads are completely different and you legs will ache till they adjust I'd imagine, trainers important also so look for the shoe that will fit you best and don't worry about price.

Seems grand up to week 7, the rest looks tough right through

Almost sure to have a match the day before so that should make things interesting!  Feeling better and a lot looser after yesterday's 4 miles (4.27m in 33:24) than I did after the 3 miles on Monday (3.19m in 24:52).  This is without doubt too fast as I'm punctured after it but I find myself getting bored when I try and slow it down.  Doing another 3 miles this evening so going to try and get the miles in and around 8:30min.  Nice big 6-7 mile run around Glenariffe forest waiting for me on Saturday!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Just Puck It on January 23, 2014, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2014, 12:46:44 PM
Quote from: Just Puck It on January 22, 2014, 12:39:41 PM
Signed up for the full Belfast Marathon in May and intend to try and follow the program below for it.  Will be fitting it in around hurling training from now until the big day.  Started off on Monday on week 2, with 3 miles, and have 4 to do this evening, but my legs are in agony!  Did plenty of stretching before and after and spent last night doing flexability and foam rolling...will the pain get more bearable? Or are my legs going to ache for the next 4 months? 

Haven't done any proper running outside hurling training really ever..will I be able to do both effectively?   

Fair play, I'd say it will be hard enough to fit in with the hurling also, You'll probably have a match on the Sunday beforehand lol

Running on the pitch and running on the roads are completely different and you legs will ache till they adjust I'd imagine, trainers important also so look for the shoe that will fit you best and don't worry about price.

Seems grand up to week 7, the rest looks tough right through

Almost sure to have a match the day before so that should make things interesting!  Feeling better and a lot looser after yesterday's 4 miles (4.27m in 33:24) than I did after the 3 miles on Monday (3.19m in 24:52).  This is without doubt too fast as I'm punctured after it but I find myself getting bored when I try and slow it down.  Doing another 3 miles this evening so going to try and get the miles in and around 8:30min.  Nice big 6-7 mile run around Glenariffe forest waiting for me on Saturday!

Aye too fast, good times if you are heading towards 10k races lol. Just get the legs used to running that distance instead of the stuff Culbert had ya doing these last few years ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Ai - just stick to the slow running for a bit yet to accustom your legs to it. If you're playing hurling you'll get plenty of speed stuff there.

Build up the miles first then worry about speed a bit later when you're used to it.

A heart rate monitor would be a good addition to control your effort levels - i.e. keep the speed down. The more you keep the speed down for a while the mroe you will be able to progress.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2014, 03:05:11 PM
Ai - just stick to the slow running for a bit yet to accustom your legs to it. If you're playing hurling you'll get plenty of speed stuff there.

Build up the miles first then worry about speed a bit later when you're used to it.

A heart rate monitor would be a good addition to control your effort levels - i.e. keep the speed down. The more you keep the speed down for a while the mroe you will be able to progress.

Working with the heart rate monitor since the new year Tommy, averaging out at 155bpm for 4 miles, looking to do longer trips next few weeks and get a decent 10k race (Downpatrick) should it be at 160 and above or steady enough at that.

Mayo4Sam

Anyone ever done a VO2 max test?
As part of a bare foot running thing I did in DCU last year there was one included, so got around to it on Monday. There were some serious runners in the room, two that have gone under 4 minutes for the mile and the other lad hit 4.04 on the Sunday, they were probably wondering what this clown was at. They seem to be doing great research in there in fairness.
Anyway, my excuse is that I was out Frdiay and Saturday nites but hit 62.6%, which apparently is ok, elite athletes are >70%. I'll have to do some reading into % of what but that kinda thing interests me. HR maxed out at 189
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2014, 03:12:44 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2014, 03:05:11 PM

Working with the heart rate monitor since the new year Tommy, averaging out at 155bpm for 4 miles, looking to do longer trips next few weeks and get a decent 10k race (Downpatrick) should it be at 160 and above or steady enough at that.

Depends on your HR... I would easy run at 140-150. Tempo runs would be high 160s - low 170s. Long runs go between low 140 to 160 but the high end is at the top of a 2 mile hills...  You work it out on your HR zones as it's very specific to each individual - you need to know your min and max. However if you're wanting a fast run I would say you could go higher...

Mayo4sam I have done a lactate threshold test but never a VO2 max one. It's interesting but a real tightner. I wouldn't mind a VO2 max one but have never had access to one without having to pay loads...

Bingo

Haven't been in here much. Running has been hit and miss since new year, mostly short stuff.

Did the 10km race in Gosford Park, Markethill last Saturday. Great spot and some castle in it, real Celtic Tiger stuff!! Finished in 38th place in a time of 43.03, was happy enough with that, was a mucky, wet day on a trail course.

Pressure eased with work from this weekend, so will try and get into a schedule.

LL - the hal hidgeon is tried and trusted for people on there marathon. Couldn't go wrong and as Ballinaman said, listen to the body. Try to not go for a best time or at a pace you can run it. Sometimes a nice relaxed pace will help the body, particularly on the longer runs. Try and finish stronger than you started and you'll feel the benefit.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: take_yer_points on January 25, 2014, 06:24:55 PM
First ever park run done today - 21:09. Miserable morning but really enjoyed it! Hoping to get that down to under 20 minutes this summer

Great running, which one you do? Watterworks?

Orior

Not bad TYP, and better than my PB on that course. The Waterworks is a great course for Parkrun, as long as you don't run into a seat like I saw a young fella do at Christmas.

At 9:30am I had played a couple of holes golf only to be called in as the course had just closed :-(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians