Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2014, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 16, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
Folks, what are people's opinion on running tights, they look naff but do they help prevent injury?
Don't wear them myself, think they are a bit unnecessary in Ireland, sub zero temperatures maybe they have a place. Softens you up too...legs don't be long warming up if you are moving... :D

I know thought I'd wouldn't be out in them but I'm loving them lol!!! Colder up north :P

My kids are looking at me like I'm gay. I'll not be wearing them for proper races though

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2014, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2014, 01:37:42 PM
Folks, what are people's opinion on running tights, they look naff but do they help prevent injury?
Don't wear them myself, think they are a bit unnecessary in Ireland, sub zero temperatures maybe they have a place. Softens you up too...legs don't be long warming up if you are moving... :D

I know thought I'd wouldn't be out in them but I'm loving them lol!!! Colder up north :P

My kids are looking at me like I'm gay. I'll not be wearing them for proper races though

Very good  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

What about the running socks? I picked up a pair a while back and never wore them. I think someone here said they were good if you were having trouble with the calf muscles?

Orangemac

Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2014, 12:54:46 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on January 15, 2014, 11:05:18 PM
Have just started running after a lifetime of inactivity. Have ran a few 5kms and just getting into it but have started getting pain on the side of one knee. looked it up and seems to be ITBS, anyone heard of it or ways to get rid of it?
The old ITBS!
Right, here are a few general pieces of advice. Would prefer to have a look at your hip mobility and your feet in an ideal world but try these few things, (if no improvement in 10 days, go see a good local Physiotherapist)

Good shoes are vital.
Hip mobility stretching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbu5RZhPbM 20 second holds and 10 rocks of pelvis each side x 2 per day

Quadricep/TFL stretch - 30 seconds each position https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM64G546-0
x 2 per day

Foam rolling your glutes will help too, 2-3 mins a day is plenty.

Have been reading recent research saying that foam rolling the ITB itself actually doesn't do that much other than compress it, rather than stretch it! New stuff coming out all the time and will keep an eye on that line of thought.
Thanks for the tips will give it a go!

moysider

I sometimes wear them to work.......... under jeans or whatever ;D
After a tough session - and at my age every session is tough - they seem to help muscle recovery. I was told to do this and I find it helps. But like a lot of things in running and any sport (and dont talk to me about fishing), a lot of stuff is in the head.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: moysider on January 16, 2014, 10:48:54 PM

I sometimes wear them to work.......... under jeans or whatever ;D
After a tough session - and at my age every session is tough - they seem to help muscle recovery. I was told to do this and I find it helps. But like a lot of things in running and any sport (and dont talk to me about fishing), a lot of stuff is in the head.
Do they have a suspender belt?! You better hope you don't get knocked down and they have to cut off your trousers!  ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on January 17, 2014, 11:12:42 PM
Running tights  ::)
Shorts and t shirt no matter what the weather for me.

I was going to do the Run a Muck 10k in Kildare, didn't realise it was same day as Carlingford.
Haven't signed up for Run a Muck yet so if there is enough of ye doing Carlingford I'll do it too.
Magpie Seanie owes me a pint anyway so he better do it as well!
Tony Baloney have you got off yer hole yet?
Baby steps my friend. Preparation is vital.

Mayo4Sam

I signed up today
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

I extended my normal route (oh matron) 4.65 miles in 35 mins. Looking to get it up to 6 soon to get a few 10 k races in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Just Puck It

Signed up for the full Belfast Marathon in May and intend to try and follow the program below for it.  Will be fitting it in around hurling training from now until the big day.  Started off on Monday on week 2, with 3 miles, and have 4 to do this evening, but my legs are in agony!  Did plenty of stretching before and after and spent last night doing flexability and foam rolling...will the pain get more bearable? Or are my legs going to ache for the next 4 months? 

Haven't done any proper running outside hurling training really ever..will I be able to do both effectively?   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Just Puck It on January 22, 2014, 12:39:41 PM
Signed up for the full Belfast Marathon in May and intend to try and follow the program below for it.  Will be fitting it in around hurling training from now until the big day.  Started off on Monday on week 2, with 3 miles, and have 4 to do this evening, but my legs are in agony!  Did plenty of stretching before and after and spent last night doing flexability and foam rolling...will the pain get more bearable? Or are my legs going to ache for the next 4 months? 

Haven't done any proper running outside hurling training really ever..will I be able to do both effectively?   

Fair play, I'd say it will be hard enough to fit in with the hurling also, You'll probably have a match on the Sunday beforehand lol

Running on the pitch and running on the roads are completely different and you legs will ache till they adjust I'd imagine, trainers important also so look for the shoe that will fit you best and don't worry about price.

Seems grand up to week 7, the rest looks tough right through

take_yer_points

Quote from: Just Puck It on January 22, 2014, 12:39:41 PM

I'm on something similar - I'm in week 3 of that now. I'm being flexible with it though - this week I've done the 3 and 4 mile run already (Monday and Tuesday), I'm going for the 7 mile run on Friday and going to do my first park run (waterworks) on Saturday morning (5km) - that's the plan anyway, will see how I feel after Friday night. For the 3 mile runs I've been heading for some hills and trying to go a bit faster.

I started a week early and have added in an extra 22 mile run in Week 13/week 14 as I'll be ahead of the plan.

ballinaman

Looks like a good logical plan for your first marathon. In combination with the Hurling training, it will keep you nicely occupied to say the least. Listen to your body though, don't stick too rigidly to the program if you aren't feeling up to it on a given day.....

I'm currently in week in week 7 of this plan for Boston on the 21st of April. Feeling in better shape than in 2012 when I followed this plan too.Easy runs are coming in at 7.30ish per mile average. Have the half marathon in Carlingford and another on Paddys Pay and a weekend away in Manchester in a few weekends time that will disrupt it a little bit but no harm.

laoislad

I've been looking at doing one of these plans myself for the Dublin Marathon.
I think I will go with one of the Hal Higdon ones.
Most likely this one http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

Obviously the Dublin Marathon isn't till October so to soon to start the plan but what should I be doing until I start the plan?
At the moment I am doing a few 5k-10ks during the week with one of them at a faster pace then I try and do a 10k+ at the weekend usually a 13k-17k at a slow enough pace.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on January 22, 2014, 02:05:12 PM
I've been looking at doing one of these plans myself for the Dublin Marathon.
I think I will go with one of the Hal Higdon ones.
Most likely this one http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

Obviously the Dublin Marathon isn't till October so to soon to start the plan but what should I be doing until I start the plan?
At the moment I am doing a few 5k-10ks during the week with one of them at a faster pace then I try and do a 10k+ at the weekend usually a 13k-17k at a slow enough pace.
Looks like a v solid plan as all Hal Higdon ones are. You don't really need to be thinking about Dublin until maybe June.
I would in the meantime gradually start getting used to running an extra day a week.
Add in 1 session of conditioning if you can instead of a run to prepare the hips and knees for the training ahead, prevent injury that will banjax your training.
Here a few quality ones that I've been doing once a week.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/mo-farah-galen-rupps-stability-routine/