Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2014, 10:21:12 PM
Cheers, seen one in Markethill this Sat, too soon but will track a few down. Trying to get mates involved (ex players from club) but they are very reluctant. Not too many ex Gaa players get into running I've noticed

That s true and I think it is a bit of a problem. It s a worry how many do nothing after hanging up their boots and quickly go into weight. However this may change with the rising popularity of running and triathlon.

We all love the football but it is not the be all and end all. Some footballers stay on too long and end up with chronic injuries which makes it very difficult to do much sport in retirement. Others have a hate for running and associate it with punishing runs in training.  I got into running a bit late to make a living out of it ;D but it is one of the best things I ve ever done for myself. Bonus. Have some great pals and training buddies now I never knew before.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2014, 10:25:51 PM
A few do. Greg blaney runs. One of the deegans was very good too but disappeared. Your ex doctor does too.

Gaa does bad things to hamstrings which doesn't agree with running at times!

First big one up here is downpatrick - be a big crowd at it.

Jimmy's ten?  Might be interested in that, day before Paddy's day, won't feel guilty too much on the lash the next day :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yep. It's a good one. A bit hilly in the first half but decent enough course and big numbers out which helps.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on January 14, 2014, 02:16:52 PM
Are we still on for the "1st Annual Celebrity GAABoarder Pro-Am Invitational " 10Km/ Half Marathon in Carlingford on March 1st?

I am hoping to take part. Aiming to do my first 10k soon and this could be it. Had forgotten about the date and was thinking of doing the CARA Bundoran one which would obviously suit me better. What time is the Carlingford one at? Just need to think about logistics, family etc.

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 15, 2014, 03:06:48 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 14, 2014, 02:16:52 PM
Are we still on for the "1st Annual Celebrity GAABoarder Pro-Am Invitational " 10Km/ Half Marathon in Carlingford on March 1st?

I am hoping to take part. Aiming to do my first 10k soon and this could be it. Had forgotten about the date and was thinking of doing the CARA Bundoran one which would obviously suit me better. What time is the Carlingford one at? Just need to think about logistics, family etc.
10.30am. It's 25 euro online for the next week or two and then goes up by 5 I think. Can enter on runireland.com

Hope to do the 1/2. Same price for 1/2 and 10k. I'll be driving from Dublin if anyone wants a lift.

Mayo4Sam

Ballinaman I might hook up with you, plan on cycling home
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 15, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Ballinaman I might hook up with you, plan on cycling home
Sound, get onto me closer to race and we'll sort it out. (ye cyclists are loonies by the way, Cycling for Louth? jaysus!)

Milltown Row2

Just back from run with the wife!! Thats a few we've done, it's actually harder to run at her pace, but I said nowt and ran with her lol.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2014, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2014, 10:25:51 PM
A few do. Greg blaney runs. One of the deegans was very good too but disappeared. Your ex doctor does too.

Gaa does bad things to hamstrings which doesn't agree with running at times!

First big one up here is downpatrick - be a big crowd at it.

Jimmy's ten?  Might be interested in that, day before Paddy's day, won't feel guilty too much on the lash the next day :P

Aye a brilliant race it is too and the perfect preparation would be to run our club's "Ben Dearg Coast 10k" on Sunday 23rd February at 1pm. Nice flat course with some of the best scenery on the island!

Orangemac

Have just started running after a lifetime of inactivity. Have ran a few 5kms and just getting into it but have started getting pain on the side of one knee. looked it up and seems to be ITBS, anyone heard of it or ways to get rid of it?

Mayo4Sam

I had a similiar problem, Ballinaman will probably give you better advice but basically foam rolling your arse and an exercise where you sit on the ground, one leg out in front, cross the other over it, grab by the knee and pull it around you, moving your head in the opposite direction
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Folks, what are people's opinion on running tights, they look naff but do they help prevent injury?

ballinaman

Quote from: Orangemac on January 15, 2014, 11:05:18 PM
Have just started running after a lifetime of inactivity. Have ran a few 5kms and just getting into it but have started getting pain on the side of one knee. looked it up and seems to be ITBS, anyone heard of it or ways to get rid of it?
The old ITBS!
Right, here are a few general pieces of advice. Would prefer to have a look at your hip mobility and your feet in an ideal world but try these few things, (if no improvement in 10 days, go see a good local Physiotherapist)

Good shoes are vital.
Hip mobility stretching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbu5RZhPbM 20 second holds and 10 rocks of pelvis each side x 2 per day

Quadricep/TFL stretch - 30 seconds each position https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM64G546-0
x 2 per day

Foam rolling your glutes will help too, 2-3 mins a day is plenty.

Have been reading recent research saying that foam rolling the ITB itself actually doesn't do that much other than compress it, rather than stretch it! New stuff coming out all the time and will keep an eye on that line of thought.

ballinaman

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 16, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
Folks, what are people's opinion on running tights, they look naff but do they help prevent injury?
Don't wear them myself, think they are a bit unnecessary in Ireland, sub zero temperatures maybe they have a place. Softens you up too...legs don't be long warming up if you are moving... :D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 16, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
Don't wear them myself, think they are a bit unnecessary in Ireland, sub zero temperatures maybe they have a place. Softens you up too...legs don't be long warming up if you are moving... :D

I know thought I'd wouldn't be out in them but I'm loving them lol!!! Colder up north :P

My kids are looking at me like I'm gay. I'll not be wearing them for proper races though