Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2014, 08:19:31 PM
Some times there Bingo! Probably not as fast as speed racer Miltown Row though  :D

My no1 goal is to do Marathon in October. Not setting myself a time limit my goal is just to finish it.

I haven't ran a 5k on it's own in a while and my PB is 25.14,pretty sure I can knock a few minutes off that this year.
PB for 10k is 53.15 and I want to get under 50 mins this year.
PB for half is 2hrs3min so I think I should get under 2hrs easily enough if I enter a half race.
I've only been running for 6 months so it will be interesting to see how my times are this time next year

Done feck all running in December so feeling a bit unfit at the moment.Was looking back on my Nike+ app there and I ran nearly 120km in November and only 23km in December! So have to really get back into it now.

I'll never get it below 19, length of legs is a major fault lol but certainly anything under 20 is a welcome bonus. Your distance running is going well, you'll defo get under 50 for 10K. 44 mins for 10K is my best. Half marathon would be my limit though. Ran 14 miles a couple of times but its hard going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

10k and half pbs hopefully. Been wrecked with an achilles injury for a while now but hopefully on the way back.

Sub 35 10k and sub 80 half the goals. 30 odd seconds to go on the 10k and half new to me.

Broke 17 in a 5k last year and 28 on a 5 mile. Hope to bring those down but no specific targets.

Being injury free main target!

Might do dublin half and one or two others. Maybe great ireland 10k. Those and then the local scene.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 03, 2014, 09:10:37 PM
10k and half pbs hopefully. Been wrecked with an achilles injury for a while now but hopefully on the way back.

Sub 35 10k and sub 80 half the goals. 30 odd seconds to go on the 10k and half new to me.

Broke 17 in a 5k last year and 28 on a 5 mile. Hope to bring those down but no specific targets.

Being injury free main target!

Might do dublin half and one or two others. Maybe great ireland 10k. Those and then the local scene.

Is the Dublin half on the same day as the full marathon?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

No-it's about a month before it. Late september/early october.

Milltown Row2

Lads I've the Garmin 110, do you need a specific Garmin heart rate monitor or do they all fit all types? Fair difference in price on Amazon and some reviews says it  worked on all types

imtommygunn

I think you need the garmin specific one...

They're dear enough.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 04, 2014, 12:27:30 PM
I think you need the garmin specific one...

They're dear enough.

Cheaper to buy the watch type heart monitor, though not Garmin

TabClear

I started back running reasonably seriously last month after a 2 year break. a combination of change in job/ routine and a problem with my Achilles when road running meant I had to quit. 1st time out I could not believe how much my fitness has went down in the interim as I would have classed myself as naturally fit and play a lot of 5 and 7 side. I'm about a minute per mile slower over a 10k :'(. hope to build it back up but didn't realise how far I had to go! just shows nothing compares to proper training.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TabClear on January 04, 2014, 05:08:35 PM
I started back running reasonably seriously last month after a 2 year break. a combination of change in job/ routine and a problem with my Achilles when road running meant I had to quit. 1st time out I could not believe how much my fitness has went down in the interim as I would have classed myself as naturally fit and play a lot of 5 and 7 side. I'm about a minute per mile slower over a 10k :'(. hope to build it back up but didn't realise how far I had to go! just shows nothing compares to proper training.

You're only fit for what you train at and the standard it's at, playing 5 a sides every week and you'll feel fit, first touch is great and the ability to do the short sprints gives the impression you're fit, doing 10 K on the back of not doing it in two years is a fair wake up call.

I've played many a reserve game last year and while currently training hard at cycling running and swimming nothing is close to match fitness unless you are on the field applying the skills, taking the tackles and running up and down the pitch.

I'd say after another month or so you'll get back to that fitness level again.......... for running

Milltown Row2

Did the 4 miler again today, thon was some wind blowing today, minute off from last run but great to get out all the same, actually enjoying the run better in wet -ish conditions.

Anyone using the Strava website, the board has some followers on it, mainly cyclists though

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 05, 2014, 04:11:51 PM
Did the 4 miler again today, thon was some wind blowing today, minute off from last run but great to get out all the same, actually enjoying the run better in wet -ish conditions.

Anyone using the Strava website, the board has some followers on it, mainly cyclists though

I've sort of stopped using it as I just use the garmin all the time now but strava is great craic when you're competing with mates. Great app, especially since it is free!!

I've only got back up to 2 mile running after hurting my knee at the start of dec!! It's still not right yet!! I can feel that pain lingering around the 1.5 mile mark. Just going to build the miles slowly. Paris marathon in April is fucked now. I will do it but it might be a case of having to walk most of it so I don't hurt my knee anymore!

Orior

And what about your golf?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on January 05, 2014, 04:50:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 05, 2014, 04:11:51 PM

I've sort of stopped using it as I just use the garmin all the time now but strava is great craic when you're competing with mates. Great app, especially since it is free!!

I've only got back up to 2 mile running after hurting my knee at the start of dec!! It's still not right yet!! I can feel that pain lingering around the 1.5 mile mark. Just going to build the miles slowly. Paris marathon in April is fucked now. I will do it but it might be a case of having to walk most of it so I don't hurt my knee anymore!

Aye just build it up and if you get to 10/15 miles at a slow enough pace you'll get round Paris without doing serious long term damage. Would be crawling the walls if I had a injury that stopped me from running and whatever else I'm at.

Aye I've a mate who started using it but he's a lazy lump ffs

Mayo4Sam

I use it but it's only ever the cycling segments I look at. Not enough runners on it to make it interesting
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on January 05, 2014, 04:58:00 PM
And what about your golf?

Haven't played in about 6 weeks. Too cold for me this time of the year!! I'll dust them off for the driving range and a lesson or 2 next month. I'll be back to walking around the golf course in a rage in a couple of months.