Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on December 21, 2013, 11:03:51 AM
Not a good idea to go running the morning after a feed of beer. Just struggled through 5k and left last night's garlic and cheese chips from Supermacs somewhere around the 4k mark :-[

The body telling you you didn't need them!!!!!

Bingo

Done the Christmas Cracker in castlewellan yesterday, seriously good race. Has everything in it - roads, fields, trails, country lanes for 13.5km and wasn't a flat part on it! It's also a pairs race, so you have to finish with your partner, 373 pairs took part.

Great part of the world to run in.

laoislad

Any good running books or videos worth reading or watching?
Watched a thing on YouTube last night called The Spirit of the Marathon which was really very good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

I did the Christmas morning Parkrun in the Waterworks Belfast, and met one very old ex Armagh and Killeavy player. No, not Stevie, much much older.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on December 29, 2013, 11:49:56 AM
Any good running books or videos worth reading or watching?
Watched a thing on YouTube last night called The Spirit of the Marathon which was really very good.

Two decent books:
Running with the Kenyans
Born to Run (apparently this looks like it going to be made into a film)

Also, Ronnie O'Sullivans recent book is called running and he talks about his current obsession with running. Haven't read it myself.

Milltown Row2

Knocked out 4 miles there in that shitty weather and it was the best 30 minutes I've run in a while, the time wasn't great but I'm putting that down to the 15 beers, 3 glasses of fizz and a bottle of red.

Found a wee loop run from the house which is part road part wood so I'll be looking to quicken that time, far bitta hills in it to which is great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2014, 01:51:26 PM
Knocked out 4 miles there in that shitty weather and it was the best 30 minutes I've run in a while, the time wasn't great but I'm putting that down to the 15 beers, 3 glasses of fizz and a bottle of red.

Found a wee loop run from the house which is part road part wood so I'll be looking to quicken that time, far bitta hills in it to which is great

Did a great wee loop myself there this morning, 7k or so. I was home just before that rain kicked in - it was lovely earlier on! Fair play to you - there isn't a chance I'd have gone anywhere in that weather.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Bingo

So lads whats the targets for 2014? Is it distance or PB's.

2013 was great for me, done two marathons and PB's across a range of distances. For 2014. I might do another marathon, defo not in spring though. One goal is to beat the half marathon PB and hope to focus on that this spring. Next is to beat 40min for 10km. One should follow the other.

Going to try and do some proper hill/mountain running as well. A few of the lads do the Hill and Dale series in the Mournes from April onwards, so will do a few of those. Really enjoyed the Castlewellan Christmas cracker which was cross country and on trails in large parts. Its more varied and wreckless!!

Current PB's:
5km 18.51 (did 19.21 in 2013 as well)
10km 41.35 (in 2013 on tough forest park run)
Half 1.36 (in 2012, one and only half raced)
Full 3.21.41 (in 2013).

Heres to having a good crack at them in 2014.

orangeman

Quote from: Bingo on January 02, 2014, 02:14:47 PM

2013 was great for me, done two marathons and PB's across a range of distances. For 2014. I might do another marathon, defo not in spring though. One goal is to beat the half marathon PB and hope to focus on that this spring. Next is to beat 40min for 10km. One should follow the other.

Going to try and do some proper hill/mountain running as well. A few of the lads do the Hill and Dale series in the Mournes from April onwards, so will do a few of those. Really enjoyed the Castlewellan Christmas cracker which was cross country and on trails in large parts. Its more varied and wreckless!!

Current PB's:
Full 3.21.41 (in 2013).

Those are mighty impressive times. I wish you well and fun in beating them but to beat them is going to require a lot of strength and pain.

take_yer_points

Current PB's:
Full 3.21.41 (in 2013).

I'm planning on doing my first marathon in Belfast in May. Santa brought me a lot of new gear for Christmas so I've been out on the roads a few times already. I'd been on the treadmill in the gym up until early December and was managing some good distances - did 11 miles. I did 4 miles on the roads this morning at an average pace of 7:41 per mile so can hopefully keep the distances moving up whilst staying at that pace or going a bit faster. I'd love to do the marathon inside the 3.5 hours mark.

There's a 10 mile run in bundoran that I might pencil in on 1 March and I live beside a park run venue so going to make that a regular on Saturday mornings - I'd love to get inside 20 mins for the 5k

take_yer_points

Has anyone used a Bryton Cardio 35 GPS watch? Are they any good?

illdecide

Ran 1k yesterday for the first time in over a year and it felt ok, have a bad achilles injury that i had surgery on over two years ago. Achilles a bit stiff today but not bad...I would love to be able to run a proper distance like you guys but hopefully i've got over the worst of this dam thing...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

CD

Quote from: take_yer_points on January 02, 2014, 06:56:22 PM

Current PB's:
Full 3.21.41 (in 2013).

I'm planning on doing my first marathon in Belfast in May. Santa brought me a lot of new gear for Christmas so I've been out on the roads a few times already. I'd been on the treadmill in the gym up until early December and was managing some good distances - did 11 miles. I did 4 miles on the roads this morning at an average pace of 7:41 per mile so can hopefully keep the distances moving up whilst staying at that pace or going a bit faster. I'd love to do the marathon inside the 3.5 hours mark.

There's a 10 mile run in bundoran that I might pencil in on 1 March and I live beside a park run venue so going to make that a regular on Saturday mornings - I'd love to get inside 20 mins for the 5k

I ran this last year - was the single most enjoyable run I did last year - made a weekend of it with the brothers. I'd recommend it to anyone. Really well organised and good people. I like the 10 mile distance as well.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Some times there Bingo! Probably not as fast as speed racer Miltown Row though  :D

My no1 goal is to do Marathon in October. Not setting myself a time limit my goal is just to finish it.

I haven't ran a 5k on it's own in a while and my PB is 25.14,pretty sure I can knock a few minutes off that this year.
PB for 10k is 53.15 and I want to get under 50 mins this year.
PB for half is 2hrs3min so I think I should get under 2hrs easily enough if I enter a half race.
I've only been running for 6 months so it will be interesting to see how my times are this time next year

Done feck all running in December so feeling a bit unfit at the moment.Was looking back on my Nike+ app there and I ran nearly 120km in November and only 23km in December! So have to really get back into it now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Gaeilgoir

Did the Galway new years 5k resolution on new years day, did it in 21.05, nearly died at the end. A month of doing nothing has really caught up, Dublin in under 3 and a half hours is this years goal, doing hell and back on Jan 26, the Connemara in April, plus a few halves along the line.