Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on December 06, 2013, 11:07:11 AM
Slow motion capture of elite marathon runners of  2011 Boston marathon. Final 800m.

Look at the amount of hip extension - ie leg going backwards. Strong glutes and loose hip flexors. Real eye opener on how to improve technique and the importance of stretching.

GEOFFREY MUTAI (KEN) & MOSES MOSOP (KEN) 1ST, 2nd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7E6Qi5ifg

CAROLINE KILEL (KEN), SHARON CHEROP (KEN) & DESIREE DAVILA (USA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kky1ufm0uyQ

Ah yeah but how many pints of Guinness have they drank?

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2013, 11:25:12 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on December 06, 2013, 11:07:11 AM
Slow motion capture of elite marathon runners of  2011 Boston marathon. Final 800m.

Look at the amount of hip extension - ie leg going backwards. Strong glutes and loose hip flexors. Real eye opener on how to improve technique and the importance of stretching.

GEOFFREY MUTAI (KEN) & MOSES MOSOP (KEN) 1ST, 2nd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7E6Qi5ifg

CAROLINE KILEL (KEN), SHARON CHEROP (KEN) & DESIREE DAVILA (USA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kky1ufm0uyQ

Ah yeah but how many pints of Guinness have they drank?
;D Aye and imagine Francie Bellew bursting them with a shoulder...think they would probably explode.

No bother Mayo4Sam....this one?

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 06, 2013, 01:53:35 PM
thats it
That's a good one, touch the wall with top of your head and bring your chin to your chest as a progression, stretches the neural tissue as well as the muscle.

laoislad

Lads any advice re sore knees?
Lately after runs my knees have been paining me for a good few days after. This morning during my run they were a bit sore. It's not a mad sore pain more of a dull uncomfortable pain if that makes sense.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

Quote from: laoislad on December 07, 2013, 09:07:41 AM
Lads any advice re sore knees?
Lately after runs my knees have been paining me for a good few days after. This morning during my run they were a bit sore. It's not a mad sore pain more of a dull uncomfortable pain if that makes sense.

Currently out of action until the new year with tendonitis. Complete bollox. All my training and future training before Paris marathon at start of April has been ruined ffs.

Mikhailov

Lads,
Been running on / off for few years now and back at it again at 25/30km per week. Have decent runners from up&running Belfast but have recently started to get blisters in arch area. Not really sore ones but annoying all the same....

Is it the runners (asics gel type)?
Is it me that is done...?

Got anti-blister socks but still getting blisters - Any advice appreciated....?

Bingo

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 09, 2013, 12:04:53 PM
Lads,
Been running on / off for few years now and back at it again at 25/30km per week. Have decent runners from up&running Belfast but have recently started to get blisters in arch area. Not really sore ones but annoying all the same....

Is it the runners (asics gel type)?
Is it me that is done...?

Got anti-blister socks but still getting blisters - Any advice appreciated....?

Are the runners the right fit? I find with one of my runners I get occassional blisters where the runner isn't as good a fit and there is some friction in the area causing the runner. I normally have to retighten the laces etc after a few runs and it does the trick, fit betters then but if runners not tightened, I'll get the blister.

Other than that maybe rub a bit of vasoline in the area.

Mikhailov

Cheers Bingo - will try your advice

JimStynes

Best runners for an overpronator like myself? I was thinking of getting the asics kayanos

Mikhailov

Bingo,

tried your advice on the tighter runners and Vaseline rub on arches but still getting the blisters. Done 10K last night and for last 2 it was sore enough and couldn't have done much more if had to.

Could the asics gel be done - have ran about 1000k in them........

Could there be any other cause ?

Bingo

Quote from: JimStynes on December 09, 2013, 01:14:26 PM
Best runners for an overpronator like myself? I was thinking of getting the asics kayanos

The kayanos would be the top range and would cover you. They are expensive mind.

The Asics 2000's would also do the same job, a bit cheaper. Both of these are ideally suited to long runs. You could use the Asics 1000's for shorter runs, up to half marathon.

I'd be an overpronator and I'd rotate the 1000's and 2000's between long and short runs. On second pair of 2000's and have had no problems at all. Had on last pair of New Balance I wore.

Bingo

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 11, 2013, 12:26:39 PM
Bingo,

tried your advice on the tighter runners and Vaseline rub on arches but still getting the blisters. Done 10K last night and for last 2 it was sore enough and couldn't have done much more if had to.

Could the asics gel be done - have ran about 1000k in them........

Could there be any other cause ?

Maybe the runners just not the right fit in that part of the feet? Or try a different brand of socks? Good bit of mileage on them, are they particularly worn in that part of the sole? Maybe thats it if they didn't previously give you blisters when you first wore them.

Funny you should post, did the first night with the club of the night run, 10.5km run on trails and cross country round the local park and old golf course. A great run, tough but very enjoyable. Was 13 of us with our headlamps.

Anyways, was running late and threw the runners on quickly, they where a bit damp from weekend and I didn't even retie laces from last run. Knew half way round the blisters had landed, in a place I never got them! Could have been the terrain and the runners not been correctly tied. Will make sure its right the next time!

Was actually so mild and warm last night, unreal for December. Jackets and tops where discharged early on!

CD

Lads - do you really think the shoes are THAT important? I don't know if you remember, but there was a really good documentary on BBC before the 2012 Olympics which dispelled the myth of the sports shoe among other things. Basically it said a £30 shoe was every bit as effective as a £300 shoe provided the user found it comfortable. They said there was no scientific link to injury as well. I was trying to find it there but couldn't track it down.

Obviously, if I was getting a blister, I'd try a different shoe. I have a narrow foot and I find Saucony and Brooks trainers most comfortable. Currently using the Brooks Ravenna which I find very comfy and picked up for £39.99 on mandmdirect last year. Trying to track them down again!

I'd also suggest changing shoes every 6 months at 20 miles a week. Buy new trainers a good month before you need them and wear them around the house and out walking to break them in before running in them. This has served me well although I did once buy an asics shoe that I never wore running as it never felt comfortable - too wide for me.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Not a good idea to go running the morning after a feed of beer. Just struggled through 5k and left last night's garlic and cheese chips from Supermacs somewhere around the 4k mark :-[
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.