Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ballinaman on November 26, 2013, 06:48:22 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 26, 2013, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 26, 2013, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: Bingo on November 26, 2013, 03:37:18 PM
Fair play Laoislad on the half distance, no small achievement. You'll have earned all the goodies over Xmas. I've one eye on the Kildare Half in April (Think the brother is going to do the full the same day), be a good one for you to target after the christmas.

I'll look at that video myself later, the stuff that goes through my mind on a long run would be mindblowing if I went through with half of it!!!

Big one this weekend - the Castleblayney 5km. Serious pressure to perform and alot of talk about who will be beating who, was even a few bets laid last weekend by all accounts, all good banter. Was determined to beat 20min for it this year but we did the route a week or so ago and finished in 19.41, went flat out mind as I hadn't done a hard run like that in a while. Hoping for that time or better on Sunday.

Sounds good Bingo. I would be up for that but when in April? The wife is due in April so my time might me limited!

I am going to do a 5 mile in Raheny in January and a 10k in Mount Juilet in Feburary so would want to be stepping up to do a half race soon after.Is it Kildare town it's on?

I'd also be up for a charity race anywhere. Loads of great charities so I don't mind which one,would have one or two myself I could nominate or whatever. 
I certainly won't be trying to beat any of you lads anyway,especially Miltown Row and he is obviously a speed demon ;)

;D ;D
Couldn't have a GAA related event without some needle in it... ;D

;D Yeah this thread was far too helpful and encouraging for 109 pages Ballinaman something had to give
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

laoislad

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 26, 2013, 06:53:19 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 26, 2013, 06:48:22 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 26, 2013, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 26, 2013, 05:58:12 PM
Fair play Laoislad on the half distance, no small achievement. You'll have earned all the goodies over Xmas. I've one eye on the Kildare Half in April (Think the brother is going to do the full the same day), be a good one for you to target after the christmas.

I'll look at that video myself later, the stuff that goes through my mind on a long run would be mindblowing if I went through with half of it!!!

Big one this weekend - the Castleblayney 5km. Serious pressure to perform and alot of talk about who will be beating who, was even a few bets laid last weekend by all accounts, all good banter. Was determined to beat 20min for it this year but we did the route a week or so ago and finished in 19.41, went flat out mind as I hadn't done a hard run like that in a while. Hoping for that time or better on Sunday.

Sounds good Bingo. I would be up for that but when in April? The wife is due in April so my time might me limited!

I am going to do a 5 mile in Raheny in January and a 10k in Mount Juilet in Feburary so would want to be stepping up to do a half race soon after.Is it Kildare town it's on?

I'd also be up for a charity race anywhere. Loads of great charities so I don't mind which one,would have one or two myself I could nominate or whatever. 
I certainly won't be trying to beat any of you lads anyway,especially Miltown Row and he is obviously a speed demon ;)

;D ;D
Couldn't have a GAA related event without some needle in it... ;D

;D Yeah this thread was far too helpful and encouraging for 109 pages Ballinaman something had to give

We mightn't win much but us Laois fellas can always be depended on to start an aul row!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ballinaman on November 26, 2013, 04:28:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2013, 04:22:58 PM
Quote from: Bingo on November 26, 2013, 04:18:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2013, 03:47:53 PM

Stuck on 20 at the minute, was trying to beat that this year but have had hamstring trouble over the summer, nearly all gone and running along nicely now. Will move that target to next year.

Any more thoughts on the 10k fundraiser for the GAA Boarders?? Would get some interest and PB's

The 20 min barrier is a tough one to beat when you just outside it, the course can have a big bearing on it, you have to pick it carefully the first time  ;) Hamstring not good when going that hard either.

GAA 10K be  a good one alright. Who'll be the race director to sort it out though.

I think if you pick a regular race (chipped race), a fairly big-ish one and raise money and we all enter it and whatever we raise we could send it to a good cause, plenty out there. A Board account could be set up and money transferred into it

Need a location that would suit most lads....Meath or Louth maybe, not a million miles away from the lads up top and then lads in Dublin either. Not ideal for Deel Rover though!
Need to pick a race, runireland.com is a good source for fixtures. Say February, March time to give lads a target to work towards.

Just on paddypower there, imtommygun is the early favourite going by the odds!

Ah jesus Ballinaman keep away from meath anyway  ;D March sounds good . Are we going to Stay the night of the race to discuss where we went wrong .My money is on Ballinaman     
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bingo

Carlingford 10k or half marathon on 1st march as per runireland, it's a flat course as far as I know. Would be a right venue for post race discussion as well, might be out of way for some.

LL, it's early April I think. In newbridge I think with a finish at the curragh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on November 26, 2013, 07:59:44 PM
Carlingford 10k or half marathon on 1st march as per runireland, it's a flat course as far as I know. Would be a right venue for post race discussion as well, might be out of way for some.

LL, it's early April I think. In newbridge I think with a finish at the curragh.

Good for me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Surely it should be Jimmy's 10k Race in Downpatrick on the Sunday of St Patrick's weekend? Superb race and everyone off on the Monday so a heap of pints afterwards would surely be called for. (Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's right and handy for me!)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on November 26, 2013, 10:25:55 PM
Surely it should be Jimmy's 10k Race in Downpatrick on the Sunday of St Patrick's weekend? Superb race and everyone off on the Monday so a heap of pints afterwards would surely be called for. (Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's right and handy for me!)

Friend does this race every year but I'm looking to do the Belfast to Dublin cycle for MND with the lads from St Paul's, Anto Finnegan is suffering from this and it was something I was looking to do.

Watch film I am breathing which followed a sufferer of MND, horrible illness (as are all terminal illness) which brought me to tears last night. As said so many worthwhile causes out there, and rather have a cause that's going straight to the root of the problem than what normally happens.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Only a few years ago i would have ran a bit with anto on lunchtime runs in belfast. Very hard to digest someone his age, fitness etc being struck down like this. It just shows you. Heartbreaking for him and his family and just shows you how fragile life is really :(

Would be a worthwhile cause.

magpie seanie

I think the idea of a GAABoard race, raising money for charity is a superb idea. I'd definitely try to make it at the very least.

Back on the capall after an indifferent couple of months where I didn't get out running much. I'm getting out for a couple of miles at lunchtime a couple of days a week and then trying to do a longer run at the weekend. Looking to try to do my first 10k but struggling to find one close to Sligo or in Dublin the weekends I'll be there. Would like to get a 10k done before the end of the year but might have to settle for Jan/Feb.

This thread has been a godsend for me. Provides loads of useful information as well as the bit of motivation. Great stuff.

Bingo

I'd imagine we'd have a good few to take part in any run, obviously location would be a factor but i'm sure we would all travel a bit for a one-off.

Seanie, fair play on the running and the comments. At times it can be hard to keep at it, one reason or another but i find that once you have no runs booked or committed to, you find yourself missing out on a few runs. Nothing like it to keep motivation high. That or having a small group to run with helps no end in keeping the mileage up.

Will be some motivation if this 10km gets off the ground!

ballinaman

Don't see why we couldn't get it off the ground.
The Carlingford one sounds like a good shout on 1st March, never been up that way, heard it's a lovely spot. I'd take a car load up from Dublin if lads wanted to drive up from the West.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on November 27, 2013, 10:31:25 AM
Don't see why we couldn't get it off the ground.
The Carlingford one sounds like a good shout on 1st March, never been up that way, heard it's a lovely spot. I'd take a car load up from Dublin if lads wanted to drive up from the West.

http://www.runireland.com/active/all-events  Sat the 1st of March, seems grand, Carlingford is a great spot plenty wee pubs about afterwards for a bitta craic. There is also a half marathon for Laoislad to get his teeth into ;) 25 euro for entry.

The race (1/2 Marathon) begins in the picturesque village of Carlingford and take in the beautiful surrounds of the Cooley peninsula, Ballagan Point, Mourne Mountains & Carlingford Lough. The race finishes in the village. There will be stewards along the route, water provided at various points. The 10K route is similar to 1/2Marathon except it cuts off to make the route shorter but the finish route is the same. Water will be provided along the 10K Route. All Finisher will receive a Medal. The Hotel offers the use of the Leisure Facilities, Tea, Coffee & sandwiches for a nominal amount. The route would not be classed asl hilly. There are a few small hills

Mayo4Sam

Would a 5k in advance of Christmas be an option?
The parkruns are handy and we could all throw €10/€20 towards a nominated charity

Injuries are beginning to catch up with me, IT band has been at me for a couple of weeks now but is ok with a few days rest and stretch and foam rolling
Last nites session I got an awful pain in my foot, just at the back of the arch, finished the session and was running home but had to stop and get a taxi, not good. Will stick to the bike for a week and see how I get on, hopefully it will clear up itself
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CD

What a brilliant evening for a run that is! Lovely and warm - short sleeves & legs. Counted 9 Christmas trees and one Happy Hanukkah! There's always one!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Quote from: CD on November 27, 2013, 06:17:09 PM
What a brilliant evening for a run that is! Lovely and warm - short sleeves & legs. Counted 9 Christmas trees and one Happy Hanukkah! There's always one!

There's always 9 you mean....
Christmas trees in November  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.