Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: JimStynes on November 25, 2013, 11:00:33 PM
Out of action at the minute. My knee is giving me a bit of bother! training for the Paris Marathon in April so don't want to be out for too long, it will only be 3 months away once i get christmas over me. Just rowing and swimming at the minute to try keep up some sort of exercise.
I wouldn't start to panic yet. You can get loads done in 3 months. Worst thing to do is to rush it and not let it rest properly over the next few weeks because you'll break down when you start ramping up the miles. Have you had it looked at?

Suffering with patellar tendonitis myself so following my own advice from above. Haven't been injured in years, have a good idea what caused it.
I'm looking like a bit of a gobshite in the gym doing the rehab exercises at the moment but have to be done, due to start a 16 week program for Boston on December 30th.

under the bar

I got a Durolane injection in my knee in June.  Made a great job of it and back running without any swelling the next day!

Bingo

Fair play Laoislad on the half distance, no small achievement. You'll have earned all the goodies over Xmas. I've one eye on the Kildare Half in April (Think the brother is going to do the full the same day), be a good one for you to target after the christmas.

I'll look at that video myself later, the stuff that goes through my mind on a long run would be mindblowing if I went through with half of it!!!

Big one this weekend - the Castleblayney 5km. Serious pressure to perform and alot of talk about who will be beating who, was even a few bets laid last weekend by all accounts, all good banter. Was determined to beat 20min for it this year but we did the route a week or so ago and finished in 19.41, went flat out mind as I hadn't done a hard run like that in a while. Hoping for that time or better on Sunday.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on November 26, 2013, 03:37:18 PM
Fair play Laoislad on the half distance, no small achievement. You'll have earned all the goodies over Xmas. I've one eye on the Kildare Half in April (Think the brother is going to do the full the same day), be a good one for you to target after the christmas.

I'll look at that video myself later, the stuff that goes through my mind on a long run would be mindblowing if I went through with half of it!!!

Big one this weekend - the Castleblayney 5km. Serious pressure to perform and alot of talk about who will be beating who, was even a few bets laid last weekend by all accounts, all good banter. Was determined to beat 20min for it this year but we did the route a week or so ago and finished in 19.41, went flat out mind as I hadn't done a hard run like that in a while. Hoping for that time or better on Sunday.

Stuck on 20 at the minute, was trying to beat that this year but have had hamstring trouble over the summer, nearly all gone and running along nicely now. Will move that target to next year.

Any more thoughts on the 10k fundraiser for the GAA Boarders?? Would get some interest and PB's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2013, 03:47:53 PM

Stuck on 20 at the minute, was trying to beat that this year but have had hamstring trouble over the summer, nearly all gone and running along nicely now. Will move that target to next year.

Any more thoughts on the 10k fundraiser for the GAA Boarders?? Would get some interest and PB's

The 20 min barrier is a tough one to beat when you just outside it, the course can have a big bearing on it, you have to pick it carefully the first time  ;) Hamstring not good when going that hard either.

GAA 10K be  a good one alright. Who'll be the race director to sort it out though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on November 26, 2013, 04:18:32 PM

The 20 min barrier is a tough one to beat when you just outside it, the course can have a big bearing on it, you have to pick it carefully the first time  ;) Hamstring not good when going that hard either.

GAA 10K be  a good one alright. Who'll be the race director to sort it out though.

I think if you pick a regular race (chipped race), a fairly big-ish one and raise money and we all enter it and whatever we raise we could send it to a good cause, plenty out there. A Board account could be set up and money transferred into it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2013, 04:22:58 PM

I think if you pick a regular race (chipped race), a fairly big-ish one and raise money and we all enter it and whatever we raise we could send it to a good cause, plenty out there. A Board account could be set up and money transferred into it

Need a location that would suit most lads....Meath or Louth maybe, not a million miles away from the lads up top and then lads in Dublin either. Not ideal for Deel Rover though!
Need to pick a race, runireland.com is a good source for fixtures. Say February, March time to give lads a target to work towards.

Just on paddypower there, imtommygun is the early favourite going by the odds!

Bingo

Jaysus, that makes shocking sense and easy to follow up with. Could use one of those donation websites that BC1 used to collect it online particularly those on here.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on November 26, 2013, 04:28:52 PM
Need a location that would suit most lads....Meath or Louth maybe, not a million miles away from the lads up top and then lads in Dublin either. Not ideal for Deel Rover though!
Need to pick a race, runireland.com is a good source for fixtures. Say February, March time to give lads a target to work towards.

You must be insider trader so and have lumped on instead of yourself! I smell a rat.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on November 26, 2013, 04:28:52 PM

Yes Bingo the very one I was thinking of

Over 10K he'd be the man, but he might not be able to take the pressure, there is running to beat your times and there is running to beat ones on here, different altogether

imtommygunn

Ha, I am bothered with an achilles problem at the minute and there are some boys getting the bug pretty bad on here so I wouldn't put any money on me at the minute!!

A handicap race would be good actually and Ballinman you are a seasoned boyo yourself!

Great to see a lot of guys getting into the running here. It's an addictive sport and you'd be amazed what you can achieve when you get going.

laoislad

Sounds good Bingo. I would be up for that but when in April? The wife is due in April so my time might me limited!

I am going to do a 5 mile in Raheny in January and a 10k in Mount Juilet in Feburary so would want to be stepping up to do a half race soon after.Is it Kildare town it's on?

I'd also be up for a charity race anywhere. Loads of great charities so I don't mind which one,would have one or two myself I could nominate or whatever. 
I certainly won't be trying to beat any of you lads anyway,especially Miltown Row as he is obviously a speed demon ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: laoislad on November 26, 2013, 05:58:12 PM

Sounds good Bingo. I would be up for that but when in April? The wife is due in April so my time might me limited!

I am going to do a 5 mile in Raheny in January and a 10k in Mount Juilet in Feburary so would want to be stepping up to do a half race soon after.Is it Kildare town it's on?

I'd also be up for a charity race anywhere. Loads of great charities so I don't mind which one,would have one or two myself I could nominate or whatever. 
I certainly won't be trying to beat any of you lads anyway,especially Miltown Row and he is obviously a speed demon ;)

;D ;D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ballinaman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 26, 2013, 06:45:52 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 26, 2013, 05:58:12 PM

I certainly won't be trying to beat any of you lads anyway,especially Miltown Row and he is obviously a speed demon ;)

;D ;D
Couldn't have a GAA related event without some needle in it... ;D