Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Well done muppett on the 5k keep her lit and good luck on sunday hope ye win. Just wondering there seems to be a lot of interest in the running thread . I wonder would there be the number s to run a gaa board 10k and to raise money for pieta house in the process.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 22, 2013, 08:30:18 PM
Well done muppett on the 5k keep her lit and good luck on sunday hope ye win. Just wondering there seems to be a lot of interest in the running thread . I wonder would there be the number s to run a gaa board 10k and to raise money for pieta house in the process.

Good idea.

We could call it The Troll Run.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on November 22, 2013, 09:12:05 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 22, 2013, 08:30:18 PM

Good idea.

We could call it The Troll Run.

Aye I'd be up for the 10K, any local charity is worth it. If it were part of a bigger organised race event even better as the craic would be mighty. I'd say there would be a few PB's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on November 22, 2013, 06:39:37 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 13, 2013, 09:20:03 PM
Ran what I thought was my first half marathon tonight!
Turns out I was 77 meters short  ::)

For some reason I had it in my head a half was 21km and I ran 21.02km. When I cam home I googled it and saw a half is actually 21.097.

I'm feckin disgusted with myself! How accurate are those gps watches anyway?
Btw I ran my 21.02km in 2hrs6min which is ok I suppose for my first almost half marathon.

Ha ha ha...In your face half marathon.
Just back from a 22km run! Wasn't taking any chances tonight and I made sure I went to full half marathon distance and a little more just in case.
2hrs 4mins for the half.
Will need to see some evidence.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 22, 2013, 10:33:57 PM

For some reason I had it in my head a half was 21km and I ran 21.02km. When I cam home I googled it and saw a half is actually 21.097.

Btw I ran my 21.02km in 2hrs6min which is ok I suppose for my first almost half marathon.

Just back from a 22km run! Wasn't taking any chances tonight and I made sure I went to full half marathon distance and a little more just in case.
2hrs 4mins for the half.

Maybe if he hit 1.45 but 2h4min he'll not need much evidence to convice......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

You don't have to be a knob about it.
For me Its more about finishing the distances than what time I do them in.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 22, 2013, 10:45:51 PM

2hrs 4mins for the half.

Aye f**k up you :D

If and I say if the kid ran 22km then hats off to him considering he only started a while back.

2.2km would kill me :-[

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 22, 2013, 11:54:22 PM

2hrs 4mins for the half.

If and I say if the kid ran 22km then hats off to him considering he only started a while back.

Kid? Go and fcuk off with yourself you ginnet.
And I did so no ifs about it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on November 23, 2013, 12:07:21 AM

2hrs 4mins for the half.

You are younger than me, therefore kid.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 23, 2013, 12:12:14 AM
Quote from: laoislad on November 23, 2013, 12:07:21 AM

2hrs 4mins for the half.

You are younger than me, therefore kid.

While touchy there, I was having a dig at it, fair play ffs. You liverppol lads are thicker than ones from the same county

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on November 22, 2013, 11:39:52 PM

Bloody right.

It is about coming home with the same joints you left with.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on November 23, 2013, 09:48:31 AM

Bloody right.

Fact. Well done laoislad, great stuff and keep it going. To go from couch to half marathon in such a short space of time is very impressive. Times are irrelevant really, each to their own, just enjoy it.

Following on from CD with some good stretches, finding this one useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Jbooszajc

take_yer_points

Quote from: CD on November 16, 2013, 05:27:28 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on November 11, 2013, 01:04:17 PM
I'm after a bit of advice on the marathon training. I'm planning on going for the Belfast marathon next May - a 16 week training plan would have me starting around week beginning 6 January. I do a bit of running at the minute - anything from 5 to 8 mile a couple of times a week. I also play a bit of indoor at lunch time in work a couple of days and go to the odd circuits class. What I'm wondering is should I pack in the circuits and indoor when I start the marathon training? I'm thinking the first 3 or 4 weeks of the training seems to  be light enough so maybe I could play on at that stage but when I start getting up into the longer runs I should maybe just concentrate on the running? Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I ran my first marathon in Nov 2002 when I was still togging out to play GAA every weekend. I found that I lost a bit of pace on the pitch and that a few match related niggles had a serious impact on the training for the marathon. Long distance running and contact sport don't mix.
I'd keep at the circuits and try to do a bit of speed/tempo work as part of your training - i know most of the plans build this in (and most people ignore it) but it is really important. Also - make sure you always do the 'recovery' runs that are planned even if it's freezing outside and you're sore from the previous day! Good luck with the training - a good wee training race for you would be the http://carabundoranrun.com/ I ran it last year and it was one of the most enjoyable runs I've taken part in in years. Lovely atmosphere and a good competitive and fast field.

There's also the https://walledcitymarathon.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/TheSSERenewablesWalledCityMarathon Derry marathon in June - if you do Belfast you'll be in shape for that one too!

Good man thanks (and Bingo too)

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on November 25, 2013, 03:45:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 23, 2013, 09:48:31 AM

Bloody right.

Fact. Well done laoislad, great stuff and keep it going. To go from couch to half marathon in such a short space of time is very impressive. Times are irrelevant really, each to their own, just enjoy it.

Thanks ballinaman but it hasn't been that much of a short space of time really.
I actually started first week of June I think it was so I'm at it almost 6 months at this stage.

I think once I done the 10k I started to believe I could go further plus it really helps that I love it!

JimStynes

Out of action at the minute. My knee is giving me a bit of bother! training for the Paris Marathon in April so don't want to be out for too long, it will only be 3 months away once i get christmas over me. Just rowing and swimming at the minute to try keep up some sort of exercise.