Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

take_yer_points

I'm after a bit of advice on the marathon training. I'm planning on going for the Belfast marathon next May - a 16 week training plan would have me starting around week beginning 6 January. I do a bit of running at the minute - anything from 5 to 8 mile a couple of times a week. I also play a bit of indoor at lunch time in work a couple of days and go to the odd circuits class. What I'm wondering is should I pack in the circuits and indoor when I start the marathon training? I'm thinking the first 3 or 4 weeks of the training seems to  be light enough so maybe I could play on at that stage but when I start getting up into the longer runs I should maybe just concentrate on the running? Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

lfdown2

Do any of you know if any of the parkruns in belfast are doing a christmas/New Years day run? Our local one is running on Christmas Day and was thinking it would be a nice was to start the day.

CD

Quote from: take_yer_points on November 11, 2013, 01:04:17 PM
I'm after a bit of advice on the marathon training. I'm planning on going for the Belfast marathon next May - a 16 week training plan would have me starting around week beginning 6 January. I do a bit of running at the minute - anything from 5 to 8 mile a couple of times a week. I also play a bit of indoor at lunch time in work a couple of days and go to the odd circuits class. What I'm wondering is should I pack in the circuits and indoor when I start the marathon training? I'm thinking the first 3 or 4 weeks of the training seems to  be light enough so maybe I could play on at that stage but when I start getting up into the longer runs I should maybe just concentrate on the running? Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I ran my first marathon in Nov 2002 when I was still togging out to play GAA every weekend. I found that I lost a bit of pace on the pitch and that a few match related niggles had a serious impact on the training for the marathon. Long distance running and contact sport don't mix.
I'd keep at the circuits and try to do a bit of speed/tempo work as part of your training - i know most of the plans build this in (and most people ignore it) but it is really important. Also - make sure you always do the 'recovery' runs that are planned even if it's freezing outside and you're sore from the previous day! Good luck with the training - a good wee training race for you would be the http://carabundoranrun.com/ I ran it last year and it was one of the most enjoyable runs I've taken part in in years. Lovely atmosphere and a good competitive and fast field.

There's also the https://walledcitymarathon.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/TheSSERenewablesWalledCityMarathon Derry marathon in June - if you do Belfast you'll be in shape for that one too!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Done my first official run event today,a 10km in the Phoenix Park for Movember.

Took Orior's I think it was advice and found the best arse in front of me and followed that.But I eventually lost him so had to find another one then  ;).

Was a great buzz crossing the finishing line,I can only imagine what it would be like to finish a marathon.
Was delighted as I knocked over a minute of my 10km best time and especially as the route included two hills,well one hill that you had to go up twice and the second time nearly killed me! but most of my running before that was on the flat so to knock a minute off my PB I was delighted.

Was nervous doing my first event but have the bug now and already looking to enter something else.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on November 16, 2013, 06:28:22 PM

Took Orior's I think it was advice and found the best arse in front of me and followed that.But I eventually lost him so had to find another one then  ;).

Was a great buzz crossing the finishing line,I can only imagine what it would be like to finish a marathon.
Was delighted as I knocked over a minute of my 10km best time and especially as the route included two hills,well one hill that you had to go up twice and the second time nearly killed me! but most of my running before that was on the flat so to knock a minute off my PB I was delighted.

Was nervous doing my first event but have the bug now and already looking to enter something else.
Your missus will locking herself in the bathroom!

Bingo

Fair play LL, you'll be we'll and truly bitten by the bug now. Great feeling crossing that line when you know you've given everything on way to it. You'll be in runireland now looking the next race!

Takeyerpoints, very hard to combine the five a side and a training programme. Five a side is all stop start, turning, contact, bursts etc. Distance running for the marathon is all straight lines. You'd be able to keep it up for few weeks but if you want to give the marathon a good shot and when miles pick up its best leaving it. You want to be fresh and ready for the long runs and rest with the programme is important. Plus it's easy to pick up a kick or rib injury in the five a side.

Circuits be fine but hard to play five a side. Body under lot of stress as it is as miles increase, rest day is a training day.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 16, 2013, 06:33:43 PM

Nope she's safe. There is a bun cooking in that particular oven.

When you gonna start running yourself? It's two years since you said you would start!

Minder

Quote from: laoislad on November 16, 2013, 07:56:07 PM

When you gonna start running yourself? It's two years since you said you would start!

He talks a good game
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gerrykeegan

Well done what was your time in the end?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 16, 2013, 09:36:24 PM

53min18sec.
Without the hills I reckon I'd have gone under 50min.!

magpie seanie

Super time Laoislad, fair play.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on November 16, 2013, 09:42:45 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 16, 2013, 09:36:24 PM

53min18sec.
Without the hills I reckon I'd have gone under 50min.!
Good man I did the same course in a similar time, those hills are tough.

Congrats on the bun!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on November 16, 2013, 08:10:18 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 16, 2013, 07:56:07 PM

He talks a good game
Funny I just said to my Ma 5 mins ago as I poured another Magners and grabbed another bag of crisps that I would need to sort myself out. There is no point this side of Christmas.

LL, I thought I noticed a bump on a photo the other day but you can never be too careful when commenting on things like that!

maxpower

Just finished playing and have very recently took to 5k running, taking 20 min to complete a fairly flat course, would like to get time down but also like doing a bit of gym work during week, any tips to combine the two
What happens next????

ballinaman

Quote from: maxpower on November 17, 2013, 08:54:51 AM
Just finished playing and have very recently took to 5k running, taking 20 min to complete a fairly flat course, would like to get time down but also like doing a bit of gym work during week, any tips to combine the two
3 gym sessions and 3 run's a week isn't a bad target. One gym session concentrating on legs - squats,hamstring curls, russian step ups, leg press, walking lunges, calf raises, glute bridges ect...

Running
Session 1: Speedwork - interval training for 5K, 800m repeats, 400m repeats, 2 mins on/1 min off, hill repeats, ect
Session 2 : Tempo running,lactate threshold running : 1 mile warm up - 3-5 mile tempo pace (just below race pace), 1 -2 mile warm down
Session 3 : Long slow run, 8-10 mile comfortable.

That's just a general plan, the interval,tempo, long slow run is a good template to follow.

Quality not quantity is where you you make your gains. People do lots of so called "junk miles" were you're just out for the sake of being out...as Joe Brolly would say...going through the motions.