Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 04, 2013, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2013, 06:30:25 PM
Quote from: Bingo on November 04, 2013, 06:19:48 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2013, 06:07:22 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 03, 2013, 08:20:23 PM
Just in the door from Hell and Back, a good old stretch of the legs, the mini Sugar loaf and the last two K, were the toughest as the pace was sooooooooooo slow, a lot of queues at some of the obstacles, just jump into the river for f**ks sake... >:(..........did it in 1 hour 55,am bloody delighted............will be stiff tomorrow, i expect, the winner did the 14k in 1.14....

All in all a good day out.
What was the story about the warnings about the rat disease that can be passed through water that was published by the organisers the day before the race and then taken down 20 mins later? Dodgy enough...
Seen that alright, a few people I knew doing it where commenting on it and panicking a bit.

Heard they started charging for car parking as well.
Suppose you sign a load of wavers to do a race like that, dodgy enough though to put it up and then take it down!

There was only one queue, for about 10 minutes a pointless wait to pick up a log and run with it, as for the weils disease, it only applied to anyone with open cuts, they were told to avoid the stagnant water sections, as for timing, there were no chipped timing, i brought my own watch, i was in the second last wave and all in all the queues were non existence, you just had to barge your way through in some sections.
No bother to a bogman mucker like yourself!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: laoislad on November 04, 2013, 08:06:17 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 04, 2013, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2013, 06:30:25 PM
Quote from: Bingo on November 04, 2013, 06:19:48 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2013, 06:07:22 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 03, 2013, 08:20:23 PM
Just in the door from Hell and Back, a good old stretch of the legs, the mini Sugar loaf and the last two K, were the toughest as the pace was sooooooooooo slow, a lot of queues at some of the obstacles, just jump into the river for f**ks sake... >:(..........did it in 1 hour 55,am bloody delighted............will be stiff tomorrow, i expect, the winner did the 14k in 1.14....

All in all a good day out.
What was the story about the warnings about the rat disease that can be passed through water that was published by the organisers the day before the race and then taken down 20 mins later? Dodgy enough...
Seen that alright, a few people I knew doing it where commenting on it and panicking a bit.

Heard they started charging for car parking as well.
Suppose you sign a load of wavers to do a race like that, dodgy enough though to put it up and then take it down!

There was only one queue, for about 10 minutes a pointless wait to pick up a log and run with it, as for the weils disease, it only applied to anyone with open cuts, they were told to avoid the stagnant water sections, as for timing, there were no chipped timing, i brought my own watch, i was in the second last wave and all in all the queues were non existence, you just had to barge your way through in some sections.
No bother to a bogman mucker like yourself!!

Indeed LL some of your county men never saw a bog hole before...i had to stick the pointy elbows out and shove on.....20 years as a small hill farmers son in Mayo stood well to me,we are like the Kenyans, we have a genetic advantage when it comes to bog running!!

Mayo4Sam

Anyone here do plyometrics?

If so for long and have you found them very beneficial?

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

screenexile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 05, 2013, 10:40:12 AM
Anyone here do plyometrics?

If so for long and have you found them very beneficial?

Don't do it myself but I know the lads on our Senior team do it religiously before every training session and match and it's the most injury free year we've ever had. Lot's of bunny hop jumps, squat jumps, side jumps and a great hamstring one. Basically you need a partner, you kneel down and keep your back straight and the partner holds your feet, you fall forward slowly using your hamstring to try and keep yourself up... brilliant exercise!

Mayo4Sam

I saw Coughlan had the Mayo lads at it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 05, 2013, 11:55:09 AM
I saw Coughlan had the Mayo lads at it
Called Russian hamstring exercise.

imtommygunn

Eccentric hamstring loading??

I've tried that one but definitely one you need a partner for I think and I would generally do gym stuff on my own...

Pliometrics are good stuff - more for power / explosiveness I'd have thought though than the middle to long distance running. That being said though I've long been tempted to try a phase of them to see if it improves the stride / bounciness.

Milltown Row2

Pliometrics seems like Insanity, a lot of jumping and core work.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Looking for a bit of advice on blisters.

Went for a run (9.5k) Wed 2 weeks ago and picked up a bit of a blister on my left arch. I have flat feet, but this hasnt been a major issue before now.

Had the Tough Mudder on the following Sunday (20km + obstacles), which turned my small blister into a major mud-filled blister which covered the whole of my arch.

Cut it open and cleaned it, antiseptic and the whole lot. Healed up nicely, so much that I stuck a bandaid on and went for a jog last night, intending to do about 6km. Got lost, ended up running 9km and have a small blister again.

Should I:
Change my runners - they are relatively new and I can;t remember this being an issue with other runners. If this is the answer, what should I be looking for - more or less arch support?
Get arch supports, wait for blister to heal and carry on
Keep repeating the blister/rest/heal process until the area has calloused up and strengthened
Hasta la victoria siempre

southdown

I know of a lad who got a bacterial infection from the mud at tough mudder, ended up in hospital for 6 weeks.  Disclaimers are signed etc but they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Bingo

Generally on blisters I've found it happen by:

New Runners - just break them in over shorter runs.

Ill-fitting runners - rubbing on certain parts of foot. This can even be caused by runners not been correctly tied ie too loose. Careful not to tie too tight as can cause other problems.

Poor quality socks - not retaining moisture correctly.

laoislad

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 07, 2013, 04:00:28 AM

Had the Tough Mudder on the following Sunday (20km + obstacles), which turned my small blister into a major mud-filled blister which covered the whole of my arch.

Cut it open and cleaned it, antiseptic and the whole lot.

Sounds deadly! Any pictures? Nothing as satisfying as cutting open a blister or puss filled sore and seeing everything ooze out.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

southdown

I used to have great craic squeezing puss from my in-grown toenail! ;D

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: laoislad on November 07, 2013, 04:41:50 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 07, 2013, 04:00:28 AM

Cut it open and cleaned it, antiseptic and the whole lot.

Sounds deadly! Any pictures? Nothing as satisfying as cutting open a blister or puss filled sore and seeing everything ooze out.

Of course I have pictures. Wouldnt go through all that for nothing!

Quote from: southdown on November 07, 2013, 03:54:43 PM
I know of a lad who got a bacterial infection from the mud at tough mudder, ended up in hospital for 6 weeks.  Disclaimers are signed etc but they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

yeah I made sure to soak it in a Dettol solution every night.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Bingo

Went for a run this morning at 7am round the local forest park and lake. Was a cracking morning and a brillant start to the day, no better place to run was hardly a ripple on the lake.

Castleblayney 5KM on 1st December. Very pleased to announce that former Irish Athlete Catherina McKiernan will be attending and will be guest speaker at the post race presentation in the hotel after the race. She'll give a talk to all in attendence. Niall Moyna done this last year, and Gerry Duffy (Endurance runner) has also filled this space, he will be back as well this year.

Great event and all for a €10.