Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

RIP
Very sad when hes so young
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Very sad news re the death. RIP.

He finished in 3.10, so was likely still been looked after as I finished 12mins after him. Never even noticed anything amiss round the finish area.

imtommygunn

https://www.justgiving.com/RickiSavage/

His justgiving page. Hopefully something positive can come out of it and with some publicity at least a good bit of money could be raised for charity.

Terrible news. That's someone in the half and now the full marathon. RIP.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 31, 2013, 11:17:36 AM
https://www.justgiving.com/RickiSavage/

His justgiving page. Hopefully something positive can come out of it and with some publicity at least a good bit of money could be raised for charity.

Terrible news. That's someone in the half and now the full marathon. RIP.

On that Tommy, how many people a year would die in recognised races a year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Good question MR...

4 have died this year in Ireland - 1 in Dublin half marathon, 1 in Dublin full marathon, 1 in a 26 extreme night race and 1 in a mourne mountain race (seven sevens). I've never heard of anyone dying over here in the time I've been involved in running before this but someone told me this morning a guy died after Dublin in 2006.

There have been a good few deaths (I think) in the Great North Run over the years. The girl who died in London marathon the other year got a lot of publicity and raised a lot of money but I have heard of a few more - a guy drowned one year (internally) with excessive water.

moysider

Fella died in 2006 in Connemara half.

Unfortunately it is a risk. Was running earlier and Doc that runs with us said that there are so many things that could cause it. However he thinks there are 2 things to watch out for.
1. A family history of youngish SADS.
2. A history of fainting/weakness/ dizziness during physical exertion.

There is also the unnatural stress on the heart of pumping for 3,4,5 hours at a high rate.

Also a lot of people will run marathons feeling less than 100% on the day due to a touch of flu or sore throat. Most people - having done the training - will not stand down because of a bit of a temperature. But some of these viruses affect the heart too. No trouble 99.999% of time but a marathon is different.

lfdown2

944 at south bank (Brisbane) this morning first birthday!

Bingo

Back on the road this morning, done a nice 5miles and felt great.

An Gaeilgoir

Just in the door from Hell and Back, a good old stretch of the legs, the mini Sugar loaf and the last two K, were the toughest as the pace was sooooooooooo slow, a lot of queues at some of the obstacles, just jump into the river for fucks sake... >:(..........did it in 1 hour 55,am bloody delighted............will be stiff tomorrow, i expect, the winner did the 14k in 1.14....

All in all a good day out.

Jonah

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 03, 2013, 08:20:23 PM
Just in the door from Hell and Back, a good old stretch of the legs, the mini Sugar loaf and the last two K, were the toughest as the pace was sooooooooooo slow, a lot of queues at some of the obstacles, just jump into the river for f**ks sake... >:(..........did it in 1 hour 55,am bloody delighted............will be stiff tomorrow, i expect, the winner did the 14k in 1.14....

My brother done it.He is fecked today!

Bingo

Just in the door from Hell and Back, a good old stretch of the legs, the mini Sugar loaf and the last two K, were the toughest as the pace was sooooooooooo slow, a lot of queues at some of the obstacles, just jump into the river for f**ks sake... >:(..........did it in 1 hour 55,am bloody delighted............will be stiff tomorrow, i expect, the winner did the 14k in 1.14....

Heard there was alot of queuing round the place unless you got away in the first wave. Done it twice and enjoyed it.

Whats the story on results? Read somewhere that it isn't chipped anymore?

ballinaman

What was the story about the warnings about the rat disease that can be passed through water that was published by the organisers the day before the race and then taken down 20 mins later? Dodgy enough...

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2013, 06:07:22 PM

What was the story about the warnings about the rat disease that can be passed through water that was published by the organisers the day before the race and then taken down 20 mins later? Dodgy enough...
Seen that alright, a few people I knew doing it where commenting on it and panicking a bit.

Heard they started charging for car parking as well.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on November 04, 2013, 06:19:48 PM

Seen that alright, a few people I knew doing it where commenting on it and panicking a bit.

Suppose you sign a load of wavers to do a race like that, dodgy enough though to put it up and then take it down!

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2013, 06:30:25 PM
Quote from: Bingo on November 04, 2013, 06:19:48 PM

Suppose you sign a load of wavers to do a race like that, dodgy enough though to put it up and then take it down!

There was only one queue, for about 10 minutes a pointless wait to pick up a log and run with it, as for the weils disease, it only applied to anyone with open cuts, they were told to avoid the stagnant water sections, as for timing, there were no chipped timing, i brought my own watch, i was in the second last wave and all in all the queues were non existence, you just had to barge your way through in some sections.

Some of the injuries i saw were quite severe, badly sprained ankles, wrists, people having minor hypothermia, for this type of run, people should have some level of fitness and some bit of experience of cross country running, the downhill was as tough as up hill, the numbers will have to be reduced for next year i'd say.... it was a good workout, but besides scratched shins, no pain at all today. A fun day out.