Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Savage stuff Bingo. I think I might have to go for a run tonight when I get home after reading that!

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 29, 2013, 09:38:47 AM
Hard luck Moy, I'd say you were happy to see the finish line

Great buzz around yesterday, made me regret not doing it. Plenty of Mayo bibs in there too, John Byrne finished high up, I didnt see the team results but couldnt have been far off Clonliffe.

Delighted for Maria McCambridge, she trains me and you couldnt meet a nicer girl, genuine, down to earth and sound. Got absolutely shafted in 2012 and its fantastic to see her win this.
He gave me a big clenched fist around mile 23....he was flying. Mayo AC came 2nd team over 35.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=160

Results are here.

Mayo4Sam

Tom
Horkan
M
Ballina A.C.
4:14:25

Unbelievable
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

Respect to all who attempted and even better succeeded with the marathon. It's beyond my comprehension frankly.

Orior

Quote from: ballinaman on October 29, 2013, 12:36:19 PM

Great buzz around yesterday, made me regret not doing it. Plenty of Mayo bibs in there too, John Byrne finished high up, I didnt see the team results but couldnt have been far off Clonliffe.

Delighted for Maria McCambridge, she trains me and you couldnt meet a nicer girl, genuine, down to earth and sound. Got absolutely shafted in 2012 and its fantastic to see her win this.
He gave me a big clenched fist around mile 23....he was flying. Mayo AC came 2nd team over 35.

Results are here.

That site does not include all runners.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ballinaman

Quote from: Orior on October 29, 2013, 03:41:31 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 29, 2013, 12:36:19 PM

Results are here.

That site does not include all runners.
Saw that, only club runners. Full results in the independent today or if you know the name of the person you are looking for you can look at their splits here...

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLIN-2013#b=na&v=ptrack

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on October 29, 2013, 11:53:18 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2013, 10:38:07 AM
Ha, more similarities to Paula Radcliffe then!

Moysider one of our guys lasted till 3 mile with the same issue you seem to have. I've also had that one myself before and it's a nasty one. Fair play to you for finishing.
Hard luck Moysider, I had a nightmare in 2011 too, just used the experience as nothing will ever feel as bad as that again.
Funny, when things go wrong, they go badly wrong in the marathon. Had a friend going to for sub 3 yesterday - (8th attempt) forced to drop out at 18 while bang on target with an achilles problem that came from nowhere.

You're surrounded by 14,000 runners and people all over on the course but there are few places as lonely as when you are in bits in the marathon staring down 6+ miles to go.

I actually felt embarrassed having to walk. People must have thought I was awful watery because I wasn t even tired let alone exhausted.

Can t believe how fresh I feel today. I could go out and do a run. It doesn t feel like I ran a marathon. No soreness and very little fatigue in calves or quads. Took an ani-inflam. last night and things had calmed down this morning.

So I went to have some work done on my lower back earlier today. Piriformis Syndrome is what I m told was to blame. I ve had this problem for years and probably have not managed it too wisely. I should have heeded my missus and got this therapist to treat me before the marathon.

I usually drive myself to events. I have an automatic jeep and its like driving in an armchair and you emerge fresh 3/4 hrs later. Saturday, I agreed to take a lift with mates and ended up climbing out of the back of the car in a hoop. I remember joking at the time ' am I walking like somebody who is going to run 26 miles tomorrow morning?'.

Consolation is that I should recover quickly and may get a few good 10k times before the end of the year. Have to say I thought I d be more disappointed. I d be more disappointed if I ran out of gas. I think I left a good race after me because of what happened and if I can get this injury sorted I could do a good one in Spring or later. Crazy because for last hour 1/2 yesterday I was cursing and swearing that I d never run again let alone attempt a marathon :'(

Apologies if I m going on about this, it may help somebody with something similar.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on October 29, 2013, 10:58:27 AM

Loaislad - Over to you for next year  ;)

As you've only just ran a marathon yesterday I'll forgive you for spelling Laois wrong  ;)

To be honest after reading your report (brilliantly told by the way) I'm filled with excitement and dread in equal measures at the thought of doing it next year.
I can tell you one thing for sure I won't be doing it in anything like the time you achieved!! I'd say you could add another hour onto that time and I'd be happy!

The home straight! Up Nassau will live with me a long time. The noise and support was just unreal, field was well strung out so people home in on you. It gives you a taste of what professional sportsmen experience, makes you feel ten feet tall.

I haven't a blade of hair on my head but if I did they would all be standing when I read that bit.

Well done again Bingo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

haveaharp

Great post Bingo - inspiring stuff.

imtommygunn

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J2X-Fitness-Spiky-Massage-Ball-/130872795273?pt=UK_Health_Massage_RL&hash=item1e78a06089

Moysider that is very helpful for piriformis. Few exercises on youtube. Not for the faint hearted.

Yes inspiring report bingo. Must step up myself someday!

Always stands out to me after hearing about dublin how much superior to belfast it is. If or when i do one it'll be dublin.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2013, 09:03:10 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J2X-Fitness-Spiky-Massage-Ball-/130872795273?pt=UK_Health_Massage_RL&hash=item1e78a06089

Moysider that is very helpful for piriformis. Few exercises on youtube. Not for the faint hearted.

Yes inspiring report bingo. Must step up myself someday!

Always stands out to me after hearing about dublin how much superior to belfast it is. If or when i do one it'll be dublin.
You'll do a serious time too with your ability!

That massage ball is a serious bit of kit if you can get your hands on it. I get lads to use a sliotár too if there is one around the house. Lying on your back, knee bent, place sliotár under your glute and drop you're bent knee out to the side. Piriformis is in the centre of your glute, deep, pear shaped muscle. Drop out onto it for 90 seconds, just got to hold the pressure, about 2 reps twice daily is plenty.

Go this in the post when I got home from work tonight. Shit just got real now!

Never beat the deeler

Jaysys Bingo, great post.

The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up reading that!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

Maria was out for our training last nite, said when she stopped to go to the toilet she didnt realise the girl in second had overtaken and almost paniked but kept it cool and at three miles to go while she wasnt closing the gap knew she had enough in the tank to go for home and kicked on.
Amazing to hear first hand what is going through someones head
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Cheers lads for the comments on the report.

Legs more normal today, few more days rest and then its all about the Castleblayney 5KM on 1st December, lot of local pride to race for that day! Entries open on Runireland for anyone in the area that fancies a go.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on October 30, 2013, 10:25:55 AM
Cheers lads for the comments on the report.

Legs more normal today, few more days rest and then its all about the Castleblayney 5KM on 1st December, lot of local pride to race for that day! Entries open on Runireland for anyone in the area that fancies a go.

Great stuff yesterday fella, pretty inspirational stuff and may encourage an auld fat lad like me to start running again now that I am free in the evenings ;)