Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Home at the ranch after a good days work.

Home in 3.21.42, PB by 19mins!

Delighted but just about fit to write this ;-)

One think I'll say, the people round the route where unbelievable, a credit to the city/country.

Full report will follow, rest for a hour then the kids are taking me out for a steak and a pint!

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Great time Bingo - well done.

ballinaman

Savage run Bingo. That's some skelp off your PB.

Gave every Rockets top I saw a shout. Missed a good few people passing though, very hard to pick people out when big groups passing.

moysider

Turned into a nightmare for me unfortunately but that s running, that s sport. I was in great form going in but dodgy back problem kicked in early and by mile 12 I had no lift and knew I was in serious trouble for later on. However I tried to run it mile by mile and minimise my losses as best I could. By mile 18 I could no longer run uphill and at mile 20 the back/glute thing went into left leg sending hamstring into a spasm/cramp forcing me into a tent for treatment.

While in there I realised I was only in the ha'penny place. There was a young lad on a stretcher with paramedics shining a light into his eye.

I managed to run/jog the last miles and snuck in under the 4 hours - about 10 - 15 minutes shy of what target was. Not putting anybody off - I have a chronic injury and try to manage it but today it knocked the shit out of me and I have to say it was a very tough last hour and a half. Yeah I was disappointed during the race but after, philisophical enough because by mile 16 I could not see how I could get through it at all and felt like abandoning completely, but I just managed to limp home. Also cant complain because I ve had a good year and did my best 5K, 10K, 10 mile and half by some distance and even today in spite of all the drama I was only a few minutes off last years time. Ye have to be philisophical about this stuff.

Hope everybody got through it ok. There was a young lad down past the finish and he appeared to be in some trouble. Then there was a report of same lad I think, still in hospital this evening being treated. Hopefully he s fully recovered. That s the important thing.

As usual the support was brilliant. The event is a credit to the old city.

Orior

Quote from: Bingo on October 28, 2013, 04:37:03 PM
Home at the ranch after a good days work.

Home in 3.21.42, PB by 19mins!

Delighted but just about fit to write this ;-)

One think I'll say, the people round the route where unbelievable, a credit to the city/country.

Full report will follow, rest for a hour then the kids are taking me out for a steak and a pint!

Pretty good going Bingo. Not far off my own PB.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: moysider on October 28, 2013, 10:57:56 PM
Turned into a nightmare for me unfortunately but that s running, that s sport. I was in great form going in but dodgy back problem kicked in early and by mile 12 I had no lift and knew I was in serious trouble for later on. However I tried to run it mile by mile and minimise my losses as best I could. By mile 18 I could no longer run uphill and at mile 20 the back/glut thing went into left leg sending hamstring into a spasm/cramp forcing me into a tent for treatment.

While in there I realise I was only in the ha'penny place. There was a young lad on a stretcher with paramedics shining a light into his eye.

I managed to run/jog the last miles and snuck in under the 4 hours - about 10 - 15 minutes shy of what target was. Not putting anybody off - I have a chronic injury and try to manage it but today it knocked the shit out of me and I have to say it was a very tough last hour and a half. Yeah I was disappointed during the race but after, philisophical enough because by mile 16 I could not see how I could get through it at all and felt like abandoning completely but I just managed to limp home. Also cant complain because I ve had a good year and did my best 5K, 10K, 10 mile and half by some distance and even today in spite of all the drama I was only a few minutes off last years time. Ye have to be philisophical about this stuff.

Hope everybody got through it ok. There was a young lad down past the finish and he appeared to be in some trouble. Then there was a report of same lad I think, still in hospital this evening being treated. Hopefully he s fully recovered. That s the important thing.

As usual the support was brilliant. The event is a credit to the old city.

Well done, marathons are thee hardest thing to do I'd imagine, have never made it past 16 miles (was three satges or a relay) and was fcuked at that.

Might do one next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Well done to Bingo, moysider and any other posters that took part in the marathon. Bingo, that is a massive effort, I seem to remember its only about two years since you bought a pair of runners?!

moy, as you said that's sport - fair play for hanging in and getting through it.

Hope to do a marathon myself at some stage, going to target a half marathon in the first quarter of next year and maybe by early 2015 I will be up to it.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

Hard luck Moy, I'd say you were happy to see the finish line

Great buzz around yesterday, made me regret not doing it. Plenty of Mayo bibs in there too, John Byrne finished high up, I didnt see the team results but couldnt have been far off Clonliffe.

Delighted for Maria McCambridge, she trains me and you couldnt meet a nicer girl, genuine, down to earth and sound. Got absolutely shafted in 2012 and its fantastic to see her win this.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

She's been shafted quite a few times by athletics ireland mayo4sam.

Was also very glad to see her winning it. Some competitor who never gives up and sounds like she had to dig deep yesterday for it.

Mayo4Sam

I only read this mornign that she stopped for a whizz at mile 18!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

Ha, more similarities to Paula Radcliffe then!

Moysider one of our guys lasted till 3 mile with the same issue you seem to have. I've also had that one myself before and it's a nasty one. Fair play to you for finishing.

Bingo

Race report (of sorts). Actually very long, so feel free to read or not  ;)

Like championships, they say you have to lose one to win one. Well going into this, I felt well prepared and had learnt so much after two previous attempts over the distance. Last year in Dublin was a new experience and I was happy at just over 3.40, got to know the course and knew what the last 5 miles felt like. Connemara was an eye-opener, tough course, beautiful course but little support round it. Thought i was well prepared and ran like I was but in hindsight was miles off. Championship was lost!

Going to yesterday, I'd a training programme and stuck to it largely, say 95%, Learned a recovery run was that, listened to the body and worked off that principle. Meant i got to the line, fresh and in good shape.

Last year, I stayed up in Dublin the night before but didn't sleep well. This year a few of us decided to drive up on the morning. Worked out well. Set off at 6am, quick toilet stop and leg stretch in the Applegreen and we were parked up just off Earlsfort terrace at 7.30am. Next hour and half flew in, change by the car, bag dropped, toilet stop and off to the starting pen.

I was in first wave, the other lads where behind me in wave 2. Was happy at that, wanted to run "alone" (you are never alone in Dublin). Chatted to lad from Athboy at the start, first timer aiming for 3.40, wished each other good look and off.

The first 2 miles are a bit mad. Everyone jostling for position, trying to keep with the pacers and the pace is up and down. Special mention to the the two clowns at junction of Grafton St and Nassau st coming home from there night out in fancy dress suits who decided they couldn't wait any longer and tried to cross through the runners. I had to move quickly to avoid them and nearly took a runner down by clipping his ankles, he was grand and had seen what happened.

I ran with KM's on the garmin, had trained this way and just stuck with it. First one was just over 5min, was last of them for a while. Field started to stretch out and great noise all round. Entered at the Phoenix park right on pace at about 4.44m/Km. Alot availing of open spaces for a toilet break, so joined them unexpectedly, thought I was dry at this stage  ;)

Passed one of the other blayney rockets on chesterfield avenue. He was struggling to get a pace, had a quick chat and I pushed on. Keeping the 3.20 pacers in sight. Plan was to do first half in 1.40 and then keep that going for as long as possible, 3.30 should be doable or hang on and beat 3.25.

While overall the pace was holding up, I was struggling to get a rthym. Was constantly checking myself, too fast, too slow. By time I left Phoenix Park was more confortable and working into a good pace. 3.20's just ahead and gap was slowly narrowing.

Chapelizod is one of my favourite parts. After the nice calm and openness of the aprk, its a wall of noise that continues up to half way mark. Huge crowds all along and came across the first local Blayney crowd in Kilmainham, just past the Raddisson, quick smile and thumbs up.

Crossed the half way mark in 1.39.48 as per my Garmin, almost bang on and was right on tail of 3.20 pacers. Was great energy running with them. The long run up to Crumlin and the Childrens hopital, was long and windy. Was tough going, I just tucked into the group and got some shelter. Started in the group through Terenure, pace was spot still doing 4.40km/m and felt very comfortable.

Round Milltown, about 16m mark I think, I took some notion and edged ahead of the 3.20 group. Not sure why but was just moving well and enjoyed the open road. Maybe this was a mistake.

Another tough part of the course is down into Clonskeagh and up to UCD. Very open, uphill draw and crowd gets sparse. Was tough to keep the pace up but managed it. Roebuck Hill, is a bump really. Lucozade had a Wall of Noise here to encourage everyone. DJ, drinks, cheerleaders and the Gooch! I missed him as opposite him was the cheerleaders  :D

By now I was having to work that wee bit harder. I knew the UCD flyover was going and this time last year, I started to suffer and slow down. Got over it and down past UCD. Worker harder now and pace was dropping, 4.40 where closer to 4.50 and felt it.

About 1km from the RDS, the 3.20 pacers came past. I didn't try to keep with them, just dug and keep them in sight. It was tough going, knew the end was in sight but wasn't much left. After the RDS, right turn down towards the RDS, pace was creeping over 4.50 and felt it. Then he appeared!

Eddie Murphy, former Monaghan player and GAA clubmate was out on course as his sister was running. He'd be a few years older but was always someone I'd have looked up to, played Club championship from 16 years old, never drank and give everything on the field, a leader who hated losing. Over the club U10's at the minute and is a joy to watch with them. He spotted me coming and was out on road beside me, fists pumping, full of encouragement, less then 3 to go and told me I had them beat, don't let them back in it!! Funny in hindsight but thats his way.

Give me a great lift. Dug deeper and kept going. Into a breeze now and tall buildings seemed to funnel it into us. No hiding places now. Huge support and noise again though.

Turned into last mile, passed the finished line as the course winds down. 3.20's where just gone out of sight. More locals on the course, bellowed encouragement at corner of Pearse St (I think). Down this road, I could hear some roaring coming behind me, one very loud voice, absolutely roaring. It then passed me and was another runner, a man in his forties easily. He was roaring for about 200m, just raw encouragement and the corwd was going nuts with him. Talked to him over the finish line and it was his first marathon, always said he'd do one, started in second wave and finished in 3.11!

It lifted everyone and you could hear the finish. Kept going. I thought i was really going slow at this stage and was all out, nothing left. But looking back it was only until 39km that i just went over 5min/km (8m mile), worst km was 5.30km/min. But it felt like a crawl.

Just coming past Trinity and got another lift, Phil Quigley from Wexford who I worked with and keep in touch with. Texted me after and said I looked horific but managed to break a smile. I can barely remember!

The home straight! Up Nassau will live with me a long time. The noise and support was just unreal, field was well strung out so people home in on you. It gives you a taste of what professional sportsmen experience, makes you feel ten feet tall. Even the marshalls on the course are all over you, pure goodwill. Bart and his wife who done Connemara where the first people I could pick out, then another group from home, name coming from all angles. Nearer the finish was another group from home, they started chanting my name, others joined in. I give them a few fist pumps. One of them sent me a photo from it and I was beaming with smile. Can't remember smiling to be honest.

Only on the last home straight did I relax. Before that I thought I was done and at any stage the legs would go. Now I was sure I'd get well inside 3.25 and all goals where well beat.

Felt on top of the world crossiing the line, in contrast to last year and connemara.

Then bang!! You stop running and can't walk and for next 15 minutes it just agongy and the long walk to collect bags. Medal collected and it looks great in fairness.

Afterwards, just took time out, got the legs right and changed. Man beside me went to claim the steps to get siting and immediately went into cramp on the leg he lifted up. Managed to grap him before he fell off steps and thankfully one of the roaming physios spotted him and did some running repairs. Ten mins later he was changed and off for pints  :)

Had a long wait then for the younger brother. We trained alot togther and it was his first. He targeted 3.40, maybe better. No sign. Bart texted then to say he just passed on home straight. I knew he was in trouble and was over 4hrs. He eventually got round in 4hrs 11m. Said after 13m he was in trouble, back pain and legs gone. He'd be struggling with flu and colds the last few weeks but hadn't said much. Just hit him. On the 21m runs we did, he was easily doing 8min/m pace. He was very disappointed but when the body says no, it means it. Wasn't for lack of training. He was on run/walk from 17miles.

Took our time and rang the Mammy (who can sleep again, a bit worrier). Got back to car and headed down road, pulled into Applegreen where the Burger King was been overrun by Marathon runners looking a junk food fix. Got home shortly after 4 and was quizzed by the wee lad for about half a hour asking if I won, why didn't I win, did the team win, why was I sore, could I not play a match with him etc etc.

Headed out with them for a feed. Had a pint but by team I was finished I was done and was home and in bed by 9, with a struggle staying that long.

Overall It was a wonderful experience. My training plan was 3 months long and I put everything in it. In hindsight and during it I really struggled to find time to fit it in but I did. Nights out went out the window, one night out in 3 months was when the Club had its Gathering weekend. I watched what I ate, rested when I could and put alot into the runs. I was determined to give it a good shot. And it paid off. I'm not the shape of an natural athlete but have a good engine and used that.

Will I do another? I said in last 5km, I wouldn't even consider it for next year. But when I texted my pal who started me running at end of Summer 2011, he said we'd target 3.10 next year, maybe in berlin  :) We've ran alot togther but haven't run a marathon together as he went back to play football this year. So its a case of maybe at this stage. Maybe do Half maratons and 10kms in the spring.

Final word for the spectators and volunteers on the course. Just unreal. Don't think you can appreciate what it means until you in the inside on the road. They stand for hours and hours, shouting your name, giving you sweets, fruit, drinks. Its just unreal and is easily worth minutes off your time. So fair play to all.

Ballinaman - cheers for the help and  encouragement last few years. Much apprecaited. I likely heard you on the course but was getting so much shout outs it was hard to get the head up.

Moysider - tough look this time but real guts to get it finished. Fair play.

Loaislad - Over to you for next year  ;)

orangeman

Brilliant story Bingo.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2013, 10:38:07 AM
Ha, more similarities to Paula Radcliffe then!

Moysider one of our guys lasted till 3 mile with the same issue you seem to have. I've also had that one myself before and it's a nasty one. Fair play to you for finishing.
Hard luck Moysider, I had a nightmare in 2011 too, just used the experience as nothing will ever feel as bad as that again.
Funny, when things go wrong, they go badly wrong in the marathon. Had a friend going to for sub 3 yesterday - (8th attempt) forced to drop out at 18 while bang on target with an achilles problem that came from nowhere.

You're surrounded by 14,000 runners and people all over on the course but there are few places as lonely as when you are in bits in the marathon staring down 6+ miles to go.