Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2013, 10:12:44 AM

7 days to go is right!

Have to say I m at the doubtful stage. Ran Saturday and felt dreadful - no lift at all. Going to do very little this week - maybe 3 small runs and that s it.

Struggling with flu or just the training catching up? I left like that the previous Sunday, legs felt dead. Done little enough last week and felt better yesterday on my run. Just rest up this week, eat well and I'm sure you'll be fresh coming into next weekend.

moysider

Quote from: Bingo on October 21, 2013, 10:18:14 AM

7 days to go is right!

Have to say I m at the doubtful stage. Ran Saturday and felt dreadful - no lift at all. Going to do very little this week - maybe 3 small runs and that s it.

Struggling with flu or just the training catching up? I left like that the previous Sunday, legs felt dead. Done little enough last week and felt better yesterday on my run. Just rest up this week, eat well and I'm sure you'll be fresh coming into next weekend.

Luckily no flu so it must be training catching up. Plus I had a late night Thursday that wouldn't have helped. I d be worried except everybody is feeling it and I remember last year I was like a ragdoll a week before Dublin. In fact I went out for a couple of easy miles 2 days before the race last year and I thought I was codding myself even going to Dublin.

Bingo

Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2013, 11:16:37 AM

7 days to go is right!

Luckily no flu so it must be training catching up. Plus I had a late night Thursday that wouldn't have helped. I d be worried except everybody is feeling it and I remember last year I was like a ragdoll a week before Dublin. In fact I went out for a couple of easy miles 2 days before the race last year and I thought I was codding myself even going to Dublin.

Yeah, know what you saying alright. I've a busy week with work and other stuff but come weekend I intend to do nothing but rest, wee run on Sunday morning to stretch the legs and that will be it.

What time you looking at?

ballinaman

Ye must give me a head up of what gear ye are wearing lads. Going to be on my bike at a couple of spots on the course, probably at the Garda headquarters just as you enter the park and then probably again at St. Vincents hospital....Bingo or anybody, if you want me to have a gel ready for you, I could get it off you at the expo on Saturday. Plan to spin over and stock up on some gear!

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 21, 2013, 11:59:28 AM
Ye must give me a head up of what gear ye are wearing lads. Going to be on my bike at a couple of spots on the course, probably at the Garda headquarters just as you enter the park and then probably again at St. Vincents hospital....Bingo or anybody, if you want me to have a gel ready for you, I could get it off you at the expo on Saturday. Plan to spin over and stock up on some gear!

Good man. I'll be covered for Gels etc, have a handy Gel belt that does the job. Some moral support will do!

I'll be in the club vest - Blayney Rockets! Mainly red with some yellow and black on it. Will be about 20 of us spread out in field with about 6 of them being actual Rockets and well up the field.

moysider

Quote from: Bingo on October 21, 2013, 11:29:05 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2013, 11:16:37 AM

7 days to go is right!

Yeah, know what you saying alright. I've a busy week with work and other stuff but come weekend I intend to do nothing but rest, wee run on Sunday morning to stretch the legs and that will be it.

What time you looking at?

Anywhere in the 3:40s and I'd be delighted.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 21, 2013, 12:09:08 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 21, 2013, 11:59:28 AM

Good man. I'll be covered for Gels etc, have a handy Gel belt that does the job. Some moral support will do!

I'll be in the club vest - Blayney Rockets! Mainly red with some yellow and black on it. Will be about 20 of us spread out in field with about 6 of them being actual Rockets and well up the field.
Good stuff, if you give me a general time when you expect to hit the park at and around St. Vincents I'll give ya a shout. Was looking back at videos of finish of last year, Blaney Rockets lad came in just ahead of me around 2.56..
I'll know BallinaFit4Life tops moy so will be able to spot ye no bother!

mb80b60

Well lads, having a bit of bother with shin splints.

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of them or lessen their effect?

cheers!

ballinaman

Quote from: mb80b60 on October 23, 2013, 12:21:20 PM

cheers!
Ideally I'd like to be able to look at how you actually run because it's best way to spot something that might be a little off which would be causing the problems but basic things to do which will help...
Avoid hard running on hard surfaces for next few weeks.
Are you in correct running shoes or are the ones you are using old and lost their shock absorbency?
Foam roll your calves, ankle relaxed and roll up and down, rock side to side...find the spots that are sore and concentrate on those, it'll be sore but you've got to suck it up, it'll get easier.
Sit back onto your heels when kneeling down to stretch muscles along front of the leg, you'll probably feel it strongest at your ankles but no harm, it's still stretching your tibialis anterior muscles (one next to your shin bone that pops up when you bring your toes towards you).
Rest for 1 week from running when doing these and then gradually easy back into training.

If you are still in bother, get back to me and I'll send you on a few more things, slightly more complicated but will clear it if above doesn't do the job.

mb80b60

Quote from: ballinaman on October 23, 2013, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: mb80b60 on October 23, 2013, 12:21:20 PM

cheers!
Ideally I'd like to be able to look at how you actually run because it's best way to spot something that might be a little off which would be causing the problems but basic things to do which will help...
Avoid hard running on hard surfaces for next few weeks.
Are you in correct running shoes or are the ones you are using old and lost their shock absorbency?
Foam roll your calves, ankle relaxed and roll up and down, rock side to side...find the spots that are sore and concentrate on those, it'll be sore but you've got to suck it up, it'll get easier.
Sit back onto your heels when kneeling down to stretch muscles along front of the leg, you'll probably feel it strongest at your ankles but no harm, it's still stretching your tibialis anterior muscles (one next to your shin bone that pops up when you bring your toes towards you).
Rest for 1 week from running when doing these and then gradually easy back into training.

If you are still in bother, get back to me and I'll send you on a few more things, slightly more complicated but will clear it if above doesn't do the job.

Great stuff Ballinaman, thank you.

Bingo

Number collected, expo shopping done, roll on Monday am but please Mr Weather, be kind!!

laoislad

Best of luck Bingo. Hope I'm ready to do it myself this time next year.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CD

Good luck to all the Board Members who are doing the Dublin Marathon on Monday! I'm looking forward to reading all your anecdotes next week!

May the bumpy Dublin roads rise to meet you,
May the forecast gale forced winds be always at your back,
May you have your full contingent of toenails on Tuesday
May you apply plentiful vaseline lest your crotch and nipples chafe,
May you hydrate but not so much that your bladder explodes,
May you not be tempted to wear the new top and trainers purchased at Expo
May you be able to boast about it until Christmas.
May you get there in the end!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Orior

And enjoy your lap of honour.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Asal Mor

Quote from: CD on October 26, 2013, 05:01:12 PM
Good luck to all the Board Members who are doing the Dublin Marathon on Monday! I'm looking forward to reading all your anecdotes next week!

May the bumpy Dublin roads rise to meet you,
May the forecast gale forced winds be always at your back,
May you have your full contingent of toenails on Tuesday
May you apply plentiful vaseline lest your crotch and nipples chafe,
May you hydrate but not so much that your bladder explodes,
May you not be tempted to wear the new top and trainers purchased at Expo
May you be able to boast about it until Christmas.
May you get there in the end!
;D Good post.

Do Marathon runners really lose toenails? Is it from the cold or from being stepped on? I only ask because I'm thinking of doing one soon but don't fancy losing toenails since I play a fair bit of soccer.