Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2013, 08:52:38 PM
Anyone doing the GR8 Dundrum Run at the weekend?
What distance is the Dundrum run and does it include those horrific sand dunes?!  I was supposed to run the Armagh 10 mile this Sunday coming but didn't get the entry form in on time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on October 07, 2013, 07:32:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2013, 08:52:38 PM
Anyone doing the GR8 Dundrum Run at the weekend?
What distance is the Dundrum run and does it include those horrific sand dunes?!  I was supposed to run the Armagh 10 mile this Sunday coming but didn't get the entry form in on time.

8 miles, yeah part beach and other terain
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Ran what I thought was my first half marathon tonight!
Turns out I was 77 meters short  ::)

For some reason I had it in my head a half was 21km and I ran 21.02km. When I cam home I googled it and saw a half is actually 21.097.

I'm feckin disgusted with myself! How accurate are those gps watches anyway?
Btw I ran my 21.02km in 2hrs6min which is ok I suppose for my first almost half marathon.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

That's some achievement "from couch to 77 meters short of a half marathon!" Was that in the App store?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 13, 2013, 09:45:10 PM
That's some achievement "from couch to 77 meters short of a half marathon!" Was that in the App store?

lol

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on October 13, 2013, 09:20:03 PM
Ran what I thought was my first half marathon tonight!
Turns out I was 77 meters short  ::)

For some reason I had it in my head a half was 21km and I ran 21.02km. When I cam home I googled it and saw a half is actually 21.097.

I'm feckin disgusted with myself! How accurate are those gps watches anyway?
Btw I ran my 21.02km in 2hrs6min which is ok I suppose for my first almost half marathon.

Are you sure you are not from Mayo?
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Well I've just traced my route out on a website called runmyroute and it came out as 21.6km so maybe I did it afterall!

imtommygunn

You can lose gps signal if you're under a load of trees then when it picks up signal again it takes a straight line distance which can shorten things.

It's generally pretty close to bang on but there's the odd place you'd run it'd be out a wee bit with that.

southdown

That's good going LL

Bingo

Fair play LL, thats savage going from a man who was looking at 5km not too long ago. I've heard that on average the GPS watches are out by 77m's for every half marathon distance ran  ;)

Week 2 to go - Taper begins.

Was a strange week, after 22m last sunday, felt great after it, fresh at start of the week but by yesterday, was just shattered. Likely a combination of work been hectic and the running starting to take its toll.

Tuesday was a 8mile run with 5x600m @ 5km pace. Went well, happy with that- Wednesday was 6m recovery run and Friday was 4m recovery run. Both grand. Saturday called for a 10m run with a 10k "race" in it. Normally do the weekend runs early in the AM but was late getting out Saturday, was near 4. 10km went well, kept a good steady pace and then slowed down for the home run. Felt tired after it but not too bad, few niggles that hadn't felt before though - knee and foot.

Got up early yesterday morning to do a schedule 16m run. Was very reluctant heading out and as soon as a i started the legs just felt like they where in concrete blocks. After about 5m, I decided 10 was enough for the day and I took it easy and stopped at that. Knee still a bit stiff and sore today but nothing too bad.

Taper starting just at right time I think, time to get rested and fresh, will tip at a few miles in line with the plan but nothing too much for the next few days.

This time two weeks, should be in the Park at this stage!

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: ballinaman on October 07, 2013, 03:22:19 PM
Quote from: southdown on October 07, 2013, 02:40:19 PM
Did my first Tough Mudder yesterday in Cheshire, 12 miles of mud and obstacles (incl electric shocks)

The link below is the course we did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Jn_Lb0ahM

They are in Dublin in mid 2014, cannot stress how good this was.  The most I ever ran before it was 8 miles but it is very stop-start and managed it OK.

The craic was mighty!
Jaysus, that looks mental.

Wouldn't be my sort of thing, running is hard enough already, wouldn't be up for added torture but fair play, seem to be all the rage these days.

Pretty similar to "Hell and Back" in Bray in November by the looks of it.

Asal Mor

Anyone ever do the Sixmilebridge Marathon? It's run on the same one-mile loop, apparently. I'm looking at doing it as I'll be home in November and looking to take on my first marathon. Any advice on this or other Marathons in November would be most welcome.

lfdown2

Was looking at getting a gps watch, would anyone who has one advise getting one with the heart rate monitor or is there much point?

Bingo

7 days to go!

Took it fairly handy this week, few niggles on the right leg. One day its the knee, next it the calf, then the heel or maybe the hamstring! Likely its my head. Done 3 runs, skipped one early in the week as felt totally wrecked after last weekends run. Do 8miles, 4miles and 12miles yesterday.

Very little to do this week, few miles here and there.

Heading to Dublin on Saturday for the Expo and then this time next week I'll be in the think of it!

lfdown2 - Re the GPS watch. I'd day if you buying a GPS watch now, you might as well go the xtra few quid and get the heart monitor. Lot of people thinks its the way to train, can't say I've ever done it myself, largely as the group I would run with don't use them. I'd say buy it now as if you are spending that money you might as well get the full package rather than regret it later, plus it be easier sold if you aren't bothered with the running after a while.

moysider

7 days to go is right!

Have to say I m at the doubtful stage. Ran Saturday and felt dreadful - no lift at all. Going to do very little this week - maybe 3 small runs and that s it.