Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: laoislad on September 21, 2013, 07:39:58 PM
I see a 28 year old guy died at the half marathon in the Phoenix Park today.
Very sad news.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-collapses-and-dies-during-dublin-half-marathon-29595938.html

And a young soccer player who died playing for Islandmagee today.

JimStynes

My runners are done! Any recommendations for new ones? What's the best make or type to stick to?

Bingo

Week its downhill from here, done and dusted.

A tough week, 55 miles, finished with a 20 miler yesterday morning. Legs felt heavy after alot of running all week and it was a busy weekend up to that with not much rest but they finished it out ok, averaged a 7.54 mile pace, happy with that.

Miles drop off this week to about 48-51, depending on what option I take. Can see the start line now though, so roll on the 28th October.

JimStynes - personally I'd stick with Ascis, My personal choice and have no complaints. Just a matter of getting the right shoe for yourself and a few decent stores would sort you out on that front.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on September 23, 2013, 09:48:40 AM

A tough week, 55 miles, finished with a 20 miler yesterday morning. Legs felt heavy after alot of running all week and it was a busy weekend up to that with not much rest but they finished it out ok, averaged a 7.54 mile pace, happy with that.

Miles drop off this week to about 48-51, depending on what option I take. Can see the start line now though, so roll on the 28th October.

JimStynes - personally I'd stick with Ascis, My personal choice and have no complaints. Just a matter of getting the right shoe for yourself and a few decent stores would sort you out on that front.

For 20 miles? thats some going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2013, 09:52:23 AM

Well, I'm happy with it but think on the day I'll be able to take it down a notch or two.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on September 23, 2013, 10:17:36 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2013, 09:52:23 AM

Well, I'm happy with it but think on the day I'll be able to take it down a notch or two.

What time are you looking to get? Be interested in a half marathon for sure, that be the limit distance wise, short legs, short distance!! But troubled with hamstring lately and had trained for the Larne half but it was cancelled due to the weather was looking at 1.45 for that, friends did the Belfast yesterday and they loved it, lad from the club finished in 1.41
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Anywhere local that does that foot analysis thing that tells what best shoe is for you?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on September 23, 2013, 09:20:27 PM
Anywhere local that does that foot analysis thing that tells what best shoe is for you?

DW Sports?

imtommygunn

Podium4sport or pure running.

They'll tell you what support you require.

Should be a few people who know their shoes in either.

I prefer brooks to asics. Asics quite inflexible round ankles i find. Personal preference though.

JimStynes

Really tempted to make the paris marathon my first! Anyone ever do it? would it be a good one for my first one in terms of how tough it is?

magpie seanie

How far would you have had to run in training to be confident enough to do a 10k? I did 7k Saturday night and felt grand - took it pretty slow mind you. Should I get a 5mile/8k in next weekend and leave it at that? Race I'm looking at doing is on October 6th.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2013, 10:24:59 AM
How far would you have had to run in training to be confident enough to do a 10k? I did 7k Saturday night and felt grand - took it pretty slow mind you. Should I get a 5mile/8k in next weekend and leave it at that? Race I'm looking at doing is on October 6th.

Seanie

If its a 10k run/event, the crowd and other runners and crowd will get you home. I trained for the 10k in the Pheonix Park one year and was only up as far as 6.5k when I got bad blisters and had to stop training. Did the 10k about a week later, sprinted the last 100 yards. it's very different training on your own and running in an event.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Bingo

Seanie, you'll always push a bit out extra in the race scenerio - not only due to adrenilen, crowds, other runners etc but you'll be rest going into it, the legs will be ready. Saying that, the above factors can also be your biggest danger - in the first few kms's the above will have you pumped and flying along regardless of your planned pace, expected pace, etc. You'll feel great and will probably go faster than you normally do but it will come back to haunt you in the closing stages, so self control is important in the early stages, even pace over the 10km and you'll always find something at the end.

This weekend I'd see no harm going 8km, even a wee bit further. Once you pace it like last weekend and your recovery from the 7k was easy.

magpie seanie

Thanks guys. It's getting harder with the dark evenings but still plugging away.

As for the pitfalls of race running ye mentioned - it happened me twice in the two 5k's I ran. The second one was actually more understandable as it was an event with huge numbers in it and I had to go quick at the start to get by a load of plodders (well slower than even me!!!).

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2013, 10:24:59 AM

It s unlikely you ll calf in a 10K but ideally you should have done the distance or over in training ( same for a half marathon). Do a 10k in training this week, even if it is real slow. It ll give you confidence as well. And you ve loads of recovery time til race.
As for the race itself don't go out too quick. You should have an idea from training what your pace is like and run the race as 10x1 kilometres sticking to regular splits per K at your predetermined pace. Say if you want to run a sub 50. Each K will we coming in about 4;55ish from the start and keeping this consistent. No harm if the first K is a bit slower as you have to settle into it. If you ve anything left in last couple of Ks you can up it a bit then.