Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 17, 2013, 10:19:50 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2013, 10:10:09 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 17, 2013, 09:35:09 AM
For anyone with an ankle/knee injury I find the swimming a great way of keeping fit/strengthening it during rehab. Near died in my first pool session after 30 lengths. 2 weeks later I'm up to 40 and loving it!!

Doing rightly, 30 lengths is half mile so it's always tough if you're not a natural swimmer like me. What time you do it in?

No need to boast!

I'm not a natural swimmer was what I meant!! lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 17, 2013, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2013, 10:10:09 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 17, 2013, 09:35:09 AM
For anyone with an ankle/knee injury I find the swimming a great way of keeping fit/strengthening it during rehab. Near died in my first pool session after 30 lengths. 2 weeks later I'm up to 40 and loving it!!

Doing rightly, 30 lengths is half mile so it's always tough if you're not a natural swimmer like me. What time you do it in?

Certainly not a natural swimmer. Done 40 in around 35 minutes yesterday. 20 then a break of a minute or so then another 20. No idea if thats good or bad to be honest.

Yeah thats the way to do it, they say (the natural swimmers lol) 20 at pace break 20 normal break for 45 seconds then hard again. Mixing it up with breast stroke, I can't breast stroke at all (only with the missus lol) so I'm full pelt with the front crawl, that's me target this year to sort that out and improve my open water swims. It's a great work out.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2013, 10:18:42 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 17, 2013, 09:37:48 AM
Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2013, 09:08:35 AM
Ran 10k for first time ever over weekend. Actually ended up doing 11k as I was feeling good.

The 10k took me just over 55mins which I was happy enough with as I took my time on the first few km so as I wouldn't burn out.Really confident I can get that time down with a bit of practice.
Delighted with myself now as only just over two months ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds without stopping.

You're really flying, fair play to you. I'm only up to 6k, hoping to do my first 10k the first weekend of October. My motivation levels dipped a little and the weather is not helping but I had a good 6k run over the weekend to put me back on track. If I did 60 mins for 10k I'd be chuffed.

I think it's helping that I absolutely love it and can't wait to get back out running.
I actually like running in the rain so the weather isn't a problem for me yet,maybe when it starts getting cold I'll be less motivated!

Yeah I suppose I should have said the evenings closing in moreso than the weather. The streetlighting around the village I live in limits the distances you can do. Don't mind the rain myself either.

Bingo

Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2013, 10:24:19 AM
Well advanced with the marathon training with an 18 miler down for Thursday.

Problem is I ve bit of a sore throat coming on, sore ears too. A doc. once told me that you should never train with a sore throat or temperature. What do others do? If I take a break from the training at this stage I may as well kiss the marathon goodbye. The sore throat is an occupational hazard which thankfully I managed to dodge last year.

I'd take the Doc's advice. In the early summer, there was a local 10k on, tight one on trails. I had a poor chest going into it and slight temp. But felt good enough to run. Ran it and rather than taking it easy, I busted myself and got new PB. Felt grand but by 9 that night I was in a ball in the bed. Doctors next day and missed work for 2 days. Was totally floored and didn't run for near 3 weeks.

A few days rest to clear up whatever you have will be well spent. What ever it needs. Any marathon training plan or book will always say listen to your body and rest. If you miss, just continue on and don't feel the pressure to do more or fit in what you missed out. Is it dublin you doing? Still plenty of time to get the 20 mile runs in and as you at 18 anyway, you're well on the road.

moysider

Quote from: Bingo on September 17, 2013, 11:00:06 AM

Problem is I ve bit of a sore throat coming on, sore ears too. A doc. once told me that you should never train with a sore throat or temperature. What do others do? If I take a break from the training at this stage I may as well kiss the marathon goodbye. The sore throat is an occupational hazard which thankfully I managed to dodge last year.

I'd take the Doc's advice. In the early summer, there was a local 10k on, tight one on trails. I had a poor chest going into it and slight temp. But felt good enough to run. Ran it and rather than taking it easy, I busted myself and got new PB. Felt grand but by 9 that night I was in a ball in the bed. Doctors next day and missed work for 2 days. Was totally floored and didn't run for near 3 weeks.

A few days rest to clear up whatever you have will be well spent. What ever it needs. Any marathon training plan or book will always say listen to your body and rest. If you miss, just continue on and don't feel the pressure to do more or fit in what you missed out. Is it dublin you doing? Still plenty of time to get the 20 mile runs in and as you at 18 anyway, you're well on the road.

Yeah Dublin. I was hoping to do 18 this week and I ve entered the 3/4 in Athlone as my last long run ( to run rather than race). It s what I did last year and it worked for me. Tapered off after Athlone. Found I got the distance ok.

The throat is more of a hoarseness than infection to be honest and don't have a temperature. Might do 6/7 easy miles this evening to see how I get on?

Bingo

Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2013, 11:27:41 AM

Yeah Dublin. I was hoping to do 18 this week and I ve entered the 3/4 in Athlone as my last long run ( to run rather than race). It s what I did last year and it worked for me. Tapered off after Athlone. Found I got the distance ok.

The throat is more of a hoarseness than infection to be honest and don't have a temperature. Might do 6/7 easy miles this evening to see how I get on?

I've done 19 so far, have first 20 this weekend and another 20 two weeks after that before the taper. If it worked for you last year, it should do the trick again.

The way it was put to me re training when ill or under weather, is that your body is already fighting to beat the infection/illness or whatever it is, you mightn't know it but putting in a strenuous workout on top of that just empties the tank and your body has nothing to use to recover and fight the good fight. The bank is empty but you still spending.

But you'll know yourself. Easy miles might give some indication, the recovery be the key indicator.

moysider

Quote from: Bingo on September 17, 2013, 11:35:59 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2013, 11:27:41 AM

I've done 19 so far, have first 20 this weekend and another 20 two weeks after that before the taper. If it worked for you last year, it should do the trick again.

The way it was put to me re training when ill or under weather, is that your body is already fighting to beat the infection/illness or whatever it is, you mightn't know it but putting in a strenuous workout on top of that just empties the tank and your body has nothing to use to recover and fight the good fight. The bank is empty but you still spending.

But you'll know yourself. Easy miles might give some indication, the recovery be the key indicator.

Exactly what I preach myself. I never believed in this sweating it out of ye nonsense. The aforementioned doc. told me that the same bug that causes a sore throat can cause inflammation around the linings of the heart and you wouldn't be even be aware of that. He seemed to suggest that some instances of SADS were related to this.

muppet

Ran 10k for first time ever over weekend. Actually ended up doing 11k as I was feeling good.

The 10k took me just over 55mins which I was happy enough with as I took my time on the first few km so as I wouldn't burn out.Really confident I can get that time down with a bit of practice.
Delighted with myself now as only just over two months ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds without stopping.

Fair play LL.

I have to start again.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

Not sure if this is an old wives tale but I heard once that you should never go running in the fog (apart from the obvious dangers of not being seen) but that it can be bad for your chest as fog traps any toxins in the air. Any truth in this? Anyone ever hear of it before??

ballinaman

Savage stuff. Keep her lit...fair play to ya.

laoislad

Thanks lads.
How much of a step up is it from where I am now with 1 x 10k and several 5ks under my belt to running a half marathon.?

Am I aiming to high to soon? I'm sure it takes a fair bit of training for the half marathon.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2013, 04:39:18 PM
Thanks lads.
How much of a step up is it from where I am now with 1 x 10k and several 5ks under my belt to running a half marathon.?

Am I aiming to high to soon? I'm sure it takes a fair bit of training for the half marathon.

Firstly, fair play. Its quite addictive when you start.

As some-one who was in your position not too long I might be able to answer this!

I ran my first 5k about say August 2011 years ago, done a bit of biking before that for a few months. I done my first half marathon about 9 months after that, first marathon about 5 months after that. And i'm no natural athlete - far from it, about 5ft 8ish, overweight (still carry waist weight) and have absolutely no core/six pack. I'd have very poor flexibility and couldn't bench press the bar, never mind put weights on it.

The moral of that wee rant is that anyone can do a half, or even a full. Once you set your mind to it and address it the right way. One thing in my favour is that I have always had a good engine and the ignorance to match it, it suits the long runs.

The last of the halfs for this "season" are coming up but no reason why you couldn't do any of the spring halfs.

A 10k is half way to a half marathon, not a huge leap considering you've gone to 10k in a few months.

imtommygunn

LL the key thing is to take it progressively but a half marathon is perfectly doable. Running can be harsh on the body so it's important to bed into it and not go gung-ho or you won't last too long but looking at your training you look to be going about it the right way so go about it progressively and no reason why you couldn't do a half.

You could do a half of getting up to 10-12 miles as your longest run. Very achievable. 10% a week increase max is  the guideline which is recommended to avoid injury.

bamboo

Sitting here reading all this talk is making me quite envious.

Ran a half marathon at the end of July but knew straight away something was up. Picked up a slight niggle whilst playing 5-a-side months and months ago after i stretched too far when chasing a stray pass but it always seemed to ease off after a few days so ignored it. But Christ, the half was tough. Finished in just over the 2hr mark which is no disgrace but it was the toughest run i've ever had to do. Was in pain from the 1st minute but stubborness/stupidity made me complete it.

I think i've pulled some sort of muscle in my abdomen. Its roughly round where your belt buckle is and seems to be right inside my core. It can travel up or down, depending on the activity. Even coughing and sneezing hurts. A lot. I've done a few slow 5ks since and a bit of easy football and whilst it not too bad when i'm taking part i really struggle once i've cooled down.

Went to the docs but no joy so need to book in with a proper physio and see if they can tell me anything. I've tried to rest it for as long as i can but can see the weight creeping back on and i miss being active.

So the marathon is obviously a no-no as are a few other longer races i had planned. Gonna try and keep up the slow parkruns just to keep myself ticking over but Jesus it's so frustrating.

Anyone heard of anything similiar?

Mayo4Sam

Does it sound like a hernia?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me