Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on September 15, 2013, 09:22:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2013, 09:11:47 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 15, 2013, 08:47:45 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2013, 08:44:44 PM
Got into Boston Marathon next April 21st.....delighted. Marathon training through December...January and February...gulp. Cold thinking about it.

Super stuff, one of my buddies who I trained for Connemara with is in as well. He giving Dublin a miss to focus on it. Will be a very emotional but celebratory atmosphere I imagine.
Ya, should be a class atmosphere hopefully. Happy days, I'm sure there will be a good few going over from Ireland for it this year. Haven't a clue re City itself and where to stay and general info but plenty of time for that yet!

Just noticed the date, Easter weekend, I'll be Las Vegas that week. I'll be cheering ye on from there!
Ha, Vegas for a week takes more out of the body than a marathon for sure! We should be cheering you on instead!!

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2013, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 15, 2013, 09:22:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2013, 09:11:47 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 15, 2013, 08:47:45 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2013, 08:44:44 PM
Got into Boston Marathon next April 21st.....delighted. Marathon training through December...January and February...gulp. Cold thinking about it.

Super stuff, one of my buddies who I trained for Connemara with is in as well. He giving Dublin a miss to focus on it. Will be a very emotional but celebratory atmosphere I imagine.
Ya, should be a class atmosphere hopefully. Happy days, I'm sure there will be a good few going over from Ireland for it this year. Haven't a clue re City itself and where to stay and general info but plenty of time for that yet!

Just noticed the date, Easter weekend, I'll be Las Vegas that week. I'll be cheering ye on from there!
Ha, Vegas for a week takes more out of the body than a marathon for sure! We should be cheering you on instead!!

Haha, appreciate the support!

No1

Anyone doing the Belfast Half on Sunday? 

laoislad

Ran 10k for first time ever over weekend. Actually ended up doing 11k as I was feeling good.

The 10k took me just over 55mins which I was happy enough with as I took my time on the first few km so as I wouldn't burn out.Really confident I can get that time down with a bit of practice.
Delighted with myself now as only just over two months ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds without stopping.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

southdown

Iv started getting a problem over the last mile or so of every run.  I cant feel my feet, they go numb.  Iv tried loosening my laces but no joy.  A lad in work tells me it is to do with not stretching your butt cheek muscles, can anyone advise?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2013, 09:08:35 AM
Ran 10k for first time ever over weekend. Actually ended up doing 11k as I was feeling good.

The 10k took me just over 55mins which I was happy enough with as I took my time on the first few km so as I wouldn't burn out.Really confident I can get that time down with a bit of practice.
Delighted with myself now as only just over two months ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds without stopping.

Fair play LL, thats mighty going
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Cold tea

I have just started running, I use to run when I was younger but haven't run as in any distance for 20 years.  I have started off with a few miles 3 times a week, I don't want to kill myself but would like to do more.  Not sure what is best, longer runs or more nights - any advice?

Walter Cronc

For anyone with an ankle/knee injury I find the swimming a great way of keeping fit/strengthening it during rehab. Near died in my first pool session after 30 lengths. 2 weeks later I'm up to 40 and loving it!!

magpie seanie

You're really flying, fair play to you. I'm only up to 6k, hoping to do my first 10k the first weekend of October. My motivation levels dipped a little and the weather is not helping but I had a good 6k run over the weekend to put me back on track. If I did 60 mins for 10k I'd be chuffed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 17, 2013, 09:35:09 AM
For anyone with an ankle/knee injury I find the swimming a great way of keeping fit/strengthening it during rehab. Near died in my first pool session after 30 lengths. 2 weeks later I'm up to 40 and loving it!!

Doing rightly, 30 lengths is half mile so it's always tough if you're not a natural swimmer like me. What time you do it in?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 17, 2013, 09:37:48 AM

You're really flying, fair play to you. I'm only up to 6k, hoping to do my first 10k the first weekend of October. My motivation levels dipped a little and the weather is not helping but I had a good 6k run over the weekend to put me back on track. If I did 60 mins for 10k I'd be chuffed.

I think it's helping that I absolutely love it and can't wait to get back out running.
I actually like running in the rain so the weather isn't a problem for me yet,maybe when it starts getting cold I'll be less motivated!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Not doing it no1 but wish I was. The towpath should be some fun for the masses - could be interesting.

LL I think you have the running bug too - very addictive.

Southdown never heard of the numb feet thing... Sounds almost like blood flow. If you're not self conscious maybe try compression socks??

Cold tea build up the distance at a slow pace. Then when you're fitter put more runs in...

Struggling with an injury at the minute which is frustrating. Just can't shake it off. Managing slow miles but no more.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2013, 10:10:09 AM

Doing rightly, 30 lengths is half mile so it's always tough if you're not a natural swimmer like me. What time you do it in?

No need to boast!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2013, 10:10:09 AM

Certainly not a natural swimmer. Done 40 in around 35 minutes yesterday. 20 then a break of a minute or so then another 20. No idea if thats good or bad to be honest.

moysider

Well advanced with the marathon training with an 18 miler down for Thursday.

Problem is I ve bit of a sore throat coming on, sore ears too. A doc. once told me that you should never train with a sore throat or temperature. What do others do? If I take a break from the training at this stage I may as well kiss the marathon goodbye. The sore throat is an occupational hazard which thankfully I managed to dodge last year.