Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on September 09, 2013, 10:05:17 AM
Some going Bingo.

I done my first 5mile (8k) at the weekend. I slowed it right down so I could last the distance (Oh matron!)
Is it best to forget about time when you are trying to increase distance? I was about 3 mins slower on my fastest 5k split times.

Personaly, I'd get the distance first and not worry too much about the time. Only natural that if you want to go longer that you have to build up to it. Get comfortable with the distance and then look at times. Generally I always try to finish strong that start fast and struggle home.

When you get the distance up and are comfortable, there is variations on the running that helps with speed - strides, intervals, hill runs etc.

moysider

I use the Garmin 405 which is great but I ve been unable to access my account because I ve forgotten my password and I cant recover it because my old email account is banjaxed.

Anybody got any idea about how I can go about sorting this out? An email address I can contact?

All my training and races are recorded (including last years marathon stuff) and its doing my head in that I cant access it.

Walter Cronc

Tore the ankle ligaments recently so obviously the running is out the window for a while. Anyone any advice on keeping fit? Can swimming really burn more calories or is that a myth??

laoislad

Where do ye buy your running gear?
I've bought a ton of stuff off sportsdirect.com. Some of the Karrimor running gear is excellent imo and very cheap compared to Nike,Adidas etc
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Gaeilgoir

Free Running in Newry is excellent and there is a place in Parnell Square in Dublin, both top notch, especially for footwear, i know the one in Dublin, all the staff have run at least 2 marathons each in there..............for tops and stuff, elverys and lifestyle sports..........or in your case LL, O Meara's camping... ;D

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on September 09, 2013, 02:52:07 PM
I've bought a ton of stuff off sportsdirect.com. Some of the Karrimor running gear is excellent imo and very cheap compared to Nike,Adidas etc

A mix of stuff really - for base layers or vests etc I've bought a right few from Lidl and they 100%. I'd have a few from football days as well for cold weather. Have socks from Lidl as well, again good stuff.
Footwear - last pair was bought in Amphianking in Ballymount Dublin, great service and fitting. I know what brand and make I like and the size, so I can buy them anywhere now.
Shorts - anywhere they on offer. Again look for the lightweight shorts with a small zip pocket at the back. Have skins compression shorts and swear by them.

Running tops - think I've only every bought 2. The rest and I'd have at least a dozen have been accumulated from various races and the like. Don't think I'll ever have to buy one.

imtommygunn

Start fitness online and sweatshop for trainers and gear in general. Start fitness very good and they throw in free socks and stuff with certain purchases which saves you.

When you do enough races you'll have enough t-shirts to not need to buy any for training again.

Walter swimming would be a good calorie burner. Aqua jogging seems to be the thing of the moment for injury recovery. Certain swimming pools will have the suits. If you're in belfast the pec has them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on September 09, 2013, 03:48:54 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 09, 2013, 02:52:07 PM

A mix of stuff really - for base layers or vests etc I've bought a right few from Lidl and they 100%. I'd have a few from football days as well for cold weather. Have socks from Lidl as well, again good stuff.
Footwear - last pair was bought in Amphianking in Ballymount Dublin, great service and fitting. I know what brand and make I like and the size, so I can buy them anywhere now.
Shorts - anywhere they on offer. Again look for the lightweight shorts with a small zip pocket at the back. Have skins compression shorts and swear by them.

Running tops - think I've only every bought 2. The rest and I'd have at least a dozen have been accumulated from various races and the like. Don't think I'll ever have to buy one.

If  had a £100 to spend on sports gear for running, £95 would be on the trainers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 09, 2013, 04:23:01 PM
Start fitness online and sweatshop for trainers and gear in general. Start fitness very good and they throw in free socks and stuff with certain purchases which saves you.

When you do enough races you'll have enough t-shirts to not need to buy any for training again.

Walter swimming would be a good calorie burner. Aqua jogging seems to be the thing of the moment for injury recovery. Certain swimming pools will have the suits. If you're in belfast the pec has them.

Cheers Imtommygunn!!

lfdown2

Did my first Parkrun this morning (Brisbane), jaysus they're a great job!

Bingo

Week 6 or so to go

48 miles this week that started badly but finished great.

Wednesday was first VO2 session and found it very tough. 10miles with 5x1km at 5k pace with half running time as rest in between. Hadn't done such hard,fast runs in a while. Done the 5 1kms at 3.55 pace near end of the rest. Not sure if I wasn't ready for that pace or hasn't fuel onboard but felt like crap after it and struggled last mile home. Was worried about the weekend miles.

But they went super, 12miles Friday, 6 yesterday with 6x100m strides and 15 miles today at MP. Woke up to wind and rain but was determined to get it done. Got soaked but thoroughly enjoyed it, I like the rain. Averaged 7.43 for the run and was delighted. Felt I'd more in tank.

Big week ahead, 55 miles with 20 next Sunday.

Brilliant tv this morning with finish on Great North run and the Triathlon in London.

ballinaman

Got into Boston Marathon next April 21st.....delighted. Marathon training through December...January and February...gulp. Cold thinking about it.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2013, 08:44:44 PM
Got into Boston Marathon next April 21st.....delighted. Marathon training through December...January and February...gulp. Cold thinking about it.

Super stuff, one of my buddies who I trained for Connemara with is in as well. He giving Dublin a miss to focus on it. Will be a very emotional but celebratory atmosphere I imagine.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on September 15, 2013, 08:47:45 PM

Super stuff, one of my buddies who I trained for Connemara with is in as well. He giving Dublin a miss to focus on it. Will be a very emotional but celebratory atmosphere I imagine.
Ya, should be a class atmosphere hopefully. Happy days, I'm sure there will be a good few going over from Ireland for it this year. Haven't a clue re City itself and where to stay and general info but plenty of time for that yet!

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2013, 09:11:47 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 15, 2013, 08:47:45 PM

Ya, should be a class atmosphere hopefully. Happy days, I'm sure there will be a good few going over from Ireland for it this year. Haven't a clue re City itself and where to stay and general info but plenty of time for that yet!

Just noticed the date, Easter weekend, I'll be Las Vegas that week. I'll be cheering ye on from there!