Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

There was a (red) mat at the start line. Results are given as race time and chip time, obviously the difference is how long it takes to get to the start. According to the official results I crossed the start 40 seconds after the race start while the woman beside me has a differential of almost 2 mins. That confirms my clocked time but it's hard to understand how it happened.

ballinaman

Frustrating by the sounds of it seanie. I always flick the watch even if it's chipped just to be sure, force of habit at this stage.

Great to see more parkruns popping up. Due to be another one in Ardgillan castle estate outside Balbriggan and St Anne's Park in Raheny starting soon.

imtommygunn

Is that the one that starts saturday week BM? Sonia O'Sullivan at it I hear.

There are now 5 in Belfast and 7(I think) elsewhere in NI. 2 in Dublin so far and 1 in Cork I think.

Great wee event for getting people into the running.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 05, 2013, 03:56:07 PM

There are now 5 in Belfast and 7(I think) elsewhere in NI. 2 in Dublin so far and 1 in Cork I think.

+1, I've been encouraging friends all the time, while I wouldn't be a regular it's great for leading up to other events as a gauge of sorts
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 05, 2013, 03:56:07 PM

Yep, I think the St Anne's one in Raheny is starting first, will be a good course and take the heat of Malahide who are getting crazy numbers every week. The Ardgillan one will be another few weeks I think, that's going to be a nasty course, some big climbs in that park!
There are 3 in Dublin already ITG, Malahide, Marlay Park and another in Lucan. Westport has one as well.

imtommygunn

The absolute max we get up here is 200+. Malahide looks mad but Dublin has a much more vibrant running scene so would expect bigger numbers. Forgot about westport and thought there were only two in dublin.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 06, 2013, 09:15:58 AM
The absolute max we get up here is 200+. Malahide looks mad but Dublin has a much more vibrant running scene so would expect bigger numbers. Forgot about westport and thought there were only two in dublin.
Ah stop, there were 400+ in Malahide one week, the start is fairly narrow so it was mental from what I heard. There is another one is Cork too I hear. Great to see so many people getting out running!

laoislad

The one in Lucan is just at the end of my road . Haven't done it yet but there seems to be a decent turn out most Saturdays. I really should do it seeing as it's so close to me!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on September 06, 2013, 11:58:08 AM
The one in Lucan is just at the end of my road . Haven't done it yet but there seems to be a decent turn out most Saturdays. I really should do it seeing as it's so close to me!
Must tip down to it one weekend, I'll wear that grey united jersey..doing a pace making job for you, you'll run a some speed to get away from it due to it's vileness!

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on September 06, 2013, 12:07:05 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 06, 2013, 11:58:08 AM
Must tip down to it one weekend, I'll wear that grey united jersey..doing a pace making job for you, you'll run a some speed to get away from it due to it's vileness!

That grey United jersey.... sure he'd not be able to see you in it, isn't that what happened in southampton that day.

gerry

first time to run 4 mile tonight.   go me
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

laoislad

Quote from: gerry on September 07, 2013, 12:20:09 AM

How dob you find it compared to the cycling?
I've let the cycling slip lately as I've been enjoying the running so much.

gerry

Quote from: laoislad on September 07, 2013, 06:55:41 PM
Quote from: gerry on September 07, 2013, 12:20:09 AM

How dob you find it compared to the cycling?
I've let the cycling slip lately as I've been enjoying the running so much.

i started the running to see if i could shift a few pounds to help me on the bike.  i didn't think i would enjoy the running as much as any previous running i done was on the treadmill and i found it both hard and boring.  aiming to do a 5 mile run an St Stephens day but i will see how it goes
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Bingo

Week No.Lostcount at this stage.

Was a nice week, classed as a recovery week on the plan, so had 42 miles to get through. Had a 9 mile run on Friday evening and broke in a new pair of runners which resulted in one beaut of a blister near the toes. Didn't bother with the 5 mile recovery run on Saturday to let it recover and was grand getting through the 16mile run yesterday.

3 tough weeks ahead with mileage increased and tougher runs in the plan. Still enjoying it though and counting down the weeks.

laoislad

Some going Bingo.

I done my first 5mile (8k) at the weekend. I slowed it right down so I could last the distance (Oh matron!)
Is it best to forget about time when you are trying to increase distance? I was about 3 mins slower on my fastest 5k split times.