Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

I'd check out whether u can get the HRM, not all the garmins are compatible
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

gerry

my son goes running with omagh harriers twice a week while i wait in the car and have a wee snooze, so the guilt has got the better of me and i started the nhs 5k podcast last week. the good thing about the podcast it gives novices like me structure, i started at week four and so far so good.

lidl have running gear on sale tomorrow, should i get the trousers and compression socks or will i look like a complete newbie

Lidl
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 20, 2013, 09:17:14 PM
Anyone have a Garmin Forerunner 10? Was thinking of getting one, only need something basic and can get this for under €100. The Galaxy s4 is too big to have strapped to the arm and I find it very awkward when running.
Was also looking at the Nike plus gps watch but they are a bit more expensive.

I've a Garmin 205 (i think it is), its an older model and a lump but its great for planning and controlling your runs. The garmins are very reliable and easy to work. If you going to stay at the running and push on it will be very useful. Some runs, I'd not use it but that would be where you not worrying on time and know the route.

Quote from: gerry on August 21, 2013, 09:52:09 AM
my son goes running with omagh harriers twice a week while i wait in the car and have a wee snooze, so the guilt has got the better of me and i started the nhs 5k podcast last week. the good thing about the podcast it gives novices like me structure, i started at week four and so far so good.

lidl have running gear on sale tomorrow, should i get the trousers and compression socks or will i look like a complete newbie

Lidl

I'd have a few bits of gear from lidl - running tops, socks, tights etc. Don't use as much of it in this weather but in the colder weather/winter its great and very popular with runners. Its fairly decent gear.

You'll look grand. I use the compression socks, not as much for the impact during a run but in past I'd have suffered with the calves after runs, the socks seem to have sorted this out.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on August 21, 2013, 11:43:31 AM
Anyone have a Garmin Forerunner 10? Was thinking of getting one, only need something basic and can get this for under €100. The Galaxy s4 is too big to have strapped to the arm and I find it very awkward when running.

I've a Garmin 205 (i think it is), its an older model and a lump but its great for planning and controlling your runs. The garmins are very reliable and easy to work. If you going to stay at the running and push on it will be very useful. Some runs, I'd not use it but that would be where you not worrying on time and know the route.

Quote from: gerry on August 21, 2013, 09:52:09 AM

Lidl

I'd have a few bits of gear from lidl - running tops, socks, tights etc. Don't use as much of it in this weather but in the colder weather/winter its great and very popular with runners. Its fairly decent gear.

You'll look grand. I use the compression socks, not as much for the impact during a run but in past I'd have suffered with the calves after runs, the socks seem to have sorted this out.

That's a sale for Lidl that they mightn't have otherwise got. I'm getting slight twinges in the calf area and don't want it to develop and wondered if the compression socks would help. Must take a trip over to Lidl in the morning so.

southdown

Foam roller seems to be working for my knee pain, painful to use though.

Forget these Garmin jobs, I have a free app on my phone that does all that a Garmin does.

laoislad

Quote from: southdown on August 21, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Foam roller seems to be working for my knee pain, painful to use though.

Forget these Garmin jobs, I have a free app on my phone that does all that a Garmin does.

The apps on the phone are grand but I have a Galaxy S4 and is very awkward on a arm strap.
I like listening to music while running and have a little ipod shuffle for that so I thought a watch would suit better for gps readings than a big brick of a phone strapped to my arm.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ONeill

Been running a quare bit lately but 2 days ago my calf muscles were aching (sting-like) and still are 2 days later - same route, distance and gutties.

What may have caused that?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on August 21, 2013, 07:25:29 PM
Been running a quare bit lately but 2 days ago my calf muscles were aching (sting-like) and still are 2 days later - same route, distance and gutties.

Lay off the burgers!! have you stretched properly? or possibly over doing it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

O'Neill - every now and then you come out with great terms/phrases that I'd only ever have heard from my Tyrone mother and her family/friends and they're just class. Gutties is a gem. A lot of people wouldn't have a clue what that means (though they'd probably guess from the context).

Had a cracker of a run this morning. Progress had levelled off a few weeks ago due to not feeling 100% but booted it round his morning. Hoping to do a 4 mile race Sunday and defo doing the 5k Pink Run Sat week.

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2013, 08:29:08 PM

Lay off the burgers!! have you stretched properly? or possibly over doing it.

Stretching is an eejit's game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JimStynes

just bought garmin 910xt forerunner with heart monitor. meant to be a good job!

BennyCake

Have you tried a foam roller?

magpie seanie

These foam rollers seem to be the cure for all ills. Maybe we should send a box of them to Leinster House? Suppose the folls there wouldn't know how to use them unless their party leader told them how to...

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on August 23, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

just bought garmin 910xt forerunner with heart monitor. meant to be a good job!

Would want to be the job for nearly €300!

I bought the Nike+ one in the end as I already use the Nike+ app and software.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.