Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Running with the kenyans is a great book. I have to say I never finished born to run - I struggled with it.

On the subject of Kenyans interesting to see one of the guys(Freddy Sittuk) who ran Belfast staying in Ireland(up in Derry) and racing this last few months and racing all round Ireland. A few Irish guys have been able to beat him though he has won a lot of races. Kennealy beat him in Galway at the weekend, Pollock beat him and I think Paddy Hamilton beat him once.

In Armagh mb80b60 there is a Kerr family who are big into running and have their own sports shop. I'd say they should be able to help you out. Can't mind the name though. (The boy who owns it ran a 32 minute 10k at over 50). In Belfast pure running do gait analysis as do podium4sport though their trainers are right and dear.

Disappointing to see Mark English go out first round of worlds but bright future in him. Be interesting to see what Paul Pollock is made of in the marathon this weekend.

Bingo

Running with the Kenyans is the book I was looking for but couldn;t get it.

Enjoyed Born to Run, more in the story to it and the characters. The technical parts on the theory of running not as much but still interesting in parts. The type I am, I looked up the characters in the book and it seems that a few of them weren't too impressed with how they where potrayed in the book, partiularly the main man Cabello and Jenni Shelton. Plus they planning a movie based on it but the writer doesn't seem too impressed with the screenplay for it.

southdown

I keep getting pain behind my right knee when I run, very sore.  Right behind the knee cap and to the right side of the knee.

Went to GP, load of shite, told me to take pain killers.  Pain killers haven't worked.  Would a physio be able to do anything?

All help appreciated, its pissing me off thoroughly as my fitness was starting to get back to a decent standard.

screenexile

Quote from: southdown on August 13, 2013, 09:03:09 AM
I keep getting pain behind my right knee when I run, very sore.  Right behind the knee cap and to the right side of the knee.

Went to GP, load of shite, told me to take pain killers.  Pain killers haven't worked.  Would a physio be able to do anything?

All help appreciated, its pissing me off thoroughly as my fitness was starting to get back to a decent standard.

Yeah Physio's what you need alright. With running your IT band can get very tight and knot up which can put undue pressure on your knee and cause a pain like that. A Physio and a foam roller should hopefully do the trick unless it's something else. Either way a Physio should be able to sort you out.

pullhard

Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2013, 09:33:34 AM
Quote from: southdown on August 13, 2013, 09:03:09 AM

Yeah Physio's what you need alright. With running your IT band can get very tight and knot up which can put undue pressure on your knee and cause a pain like that. A Physio and a foam roller should hopefully do the trick unless it's something else. Either way a Physio should be able to sort you out.

These are god send but to start with or after a run they are torture devices, amazing things

Asal Mor

Anyone have bruised ribs before? I hurt mine last week playing soccer and I aggravated the injury yesterday by going running. I'll have to give it a week or two before I run again. Anyone know if cycling or exercise bike would be okay?

southdown

top advice, thanks very much.  Foam roller ordered, hopefully do the job.

Milltown Row2

Looking to do "The Wall" in the Mournes/Silent Valley in October, looks serious, 3k run 20k cycle 9k ascent/descent of Slieve Donard 25k cycle and finish off with a 15k run!! best times are 5hs worst 7hs. Anyone done it before?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Back to week 1 again. Attempt number 4.  ::)

I'll run a 5k yet if it f*cking kills me.

MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on August 17, 2013, 11:53:34 AM
Back to week 1 again. Attempt number 4.  ::)

I'll run a 5k yet if it f*cking kills me.

Good man muppet you'll do it.
I've run half a dozen 5k's now and could only do 30 seconds running when I started. Ran a 7k last night.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Week 2 done 39 miles in total with 15 done this morning, good steady pace but finished strong with two 7.30 miles.

Mileage upped this week and 5 runs to fit in. Busy week on top of it and big function in the club next Saturday night, so long run will have to be done on Saturday.

Looking forward to it!

Dubh driocht

Does anyone know about entry etc. for the Dublin Half Marathon ? It's on the Saturday before the Football final in Phoenix Park. Has anyone run it before and is it well organised etc. ?

Rois

Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 18, 2013, 03:26:40 PM
Does anyone know about entry etc. for the Dublin Half Marathon ? It's on the Saturday before the Football final in Phoenix Park. Has anyone run it before and is it well organised etc. ?

It was my first (and to date only) half marathon (I did it in 2011).  It was a great event, def well organised as it is one of the lead-in events to the marathon itself and organised by Dublin Marathon.  Numbers and chips all posted out in advance, shuttle buses into the park, well-identifiable pacers, nice area at the finish line with stands and catering.  It was a great weekend to be in Dublin and I managed to hook it in with the AIF. 
I take it you know that the Belfast half marathon is on the day of the final - really bad scheduling IMO with the Dublin race at the same time. 

laoislad

Anyone have a Garmin Forerunner 10? Was thinking of getting one, only need something basic and can get this for under €100. The Galaxy s4 is too big to have strapped to the arm and I find it very awkward when running.
Was also looking at the Nike plus gps watch but they are a bit more expensive.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on August 20, 2013, 09:17:14 PM
Anyone have a Garmin Forerunner 10? Was thinking of getting one, only need something basic and can get this for under €100. The Galaxy s4 is too big to have strapped to the arm and I find it very awkward when running.
Was also looking at the Nike plus gps watch but they are a bit more expensive.

I've the Garmin, great piece of technology, brilliant for pace, distance and you can buy the heart monitor with it also.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea