Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Im doing Tough Mudder in Cheshire on 6th October, it looks a bit mad but its motivated me to get off my ass.

Im 29 and stopped playing ball 3 years ago.  Started into the running again last week.

Did 6KM first time out and did it a few more times last week.  Going to up it to 8KM tonight but im not looking forward to it.

It's amazing what 1 weeks of solid exercize and decent diet can do for the body and mind.  I feel fantastic.

I have cut out all the shit I was eating before.

Downloads an app on my phone called MapMyRun, great job.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on August 03, 2013, 10:27:14 PM
Ran my first ever 5k tonight!  ;D
Wasn't supposed to it it just sort of happened. I bought new runners today and went out to give them a test drive.
I felt good so kept running and next thing don't you know the runkeeper app tells me I had run 5k.
I did it in 29 mins 50 secs. Not the fastest time ever I know but for a fella who could hardly run for 30 seconds 5 weeks ago I'll take it for my first ever 5k.

I don't know what to do now though.I am doing the couch to 5k app and only just finished week 5 which means I have another 4 weeks left of it. I've already done 5k though so is there any point in finishing the program?
Would my time be best served lowering my 5k time and maybe upping the distance even more? I felt I had another km or 2 left in me tonight but I stopped at the 5k mark anyways.

btw the runners I got are a brand called ProTouch. Never heard of them before but by jaysis are they comfy.Got them in Elverys for €60

Great stuff Laoislad. Similar to myself in a lot of ways. Had the couch to 5k program but thought I'd go for a run to see how long I'd last and judge where to "start" on the program. I thought I'd die but the first night I stuck the runners on I was able to keep going for 20 minutes. Like you, completed my first 5k over the weekend in a local fun run. Was hoping to break 29 minutes but went just over. I guess the years of playing football means we're not totally starting from scratch. I'm 3 weeks at it now and I love it. Wearing jeans/trousers I haven't worn in years!

Torn between focussing on taking down the 5k time or shooting for a 10k. There's a charity 5k/10k run in the Phoenix Park at the end of the month and I'm not sure whether to stick with the 5k or try to do the 10k. I suppose if I'm getting out and doing good runs the 5k time will drop anyway so might try to add a bit more distance this week.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 05, 2013, 05:25:56 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 03, 2013, 10:27:14 PM
Ran my first ever 5k tonight!  ;D
Wasn't supposed to it it just sort of happened. I bought new runners today and went out to give them a test drive.
I felt good so kept running and next thing don't you know the runkeeper app tells me I had run 5k.
I did it in 29 mins 50 secs. Not the fastest time ever I know but for a fella who could hardly run for 30 seconds 5 weeks ago I'll take it for my first ever 5k.

I don't know what to do now though.I am doing the couch to 5k app and only just finished week 5 which means I have another 4 weeks left of it. I've already done 5k though so is there any point in finishing the program?
Would my time be best served lowering my 5k time and maybe upping the distance even more? I felt I had another km or 2 left in me tonight but I stopped at the 5k mark anyways.

btw the runners I got are a brand called ProTouch. Never heard of them before but by jaysis are they comfy.Got them in Elverys for €60

Great stuff Laoislad. Similar to myself in a lot of ways. Had the couch to 5k program but thought I'd go for a run to see how long I'd last and judge where to "start" on the program. I thought I'd die but the first night I stuck the runners on I was able to keep going for 20 minutes. Like you, completed my first 5k over the weekend in a local fun run. Was hoping to break 29 minutes but went just over. I guess the years of playing football means we're not totally starting from scratch. I'm 3 weeks at it now and I love it. Wearing jeans/trousers I haven't worn in years!

Torn between focussing on taking down the 5k time or shooting for a 10k. There's a charity 5k/10k run in the Phoenix Park at the end of the month and I'm not sure whether to stick with the 5k or try to do the 10k. I suppose if I'm getting out and doing good runs the 5k time will drop anyway so might try to add a bit more distance this week.

Cheers magpie. Loving it myself.
Went out again tonight and done another 5k and my time was 27min 55secs so knocked nearly 2 minutes off my time from saturday.

Is that fun run in the Pheonix Park the breast cancer one?
I was thinking of doing this one as my first official 5k?
https://www.activeglobal.com/running/dublin-ireland/apfs-harriers-5k-charity-fun-run-2013
It's for a couple of good charities and I thought it would be a nice one for myself to start off with.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Have you considered those parkruns laoislad? One in malahide and one in marlay park? They'd be good options to get you started.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2013, 09:47:58 PM
Have you considered those parkruns laoislad? One in malahide and one in marlay park? They'd be good options to get you started.

The father in law was telling me about the one in Marlay Park as they live just across from Marlay.
Might give it a go alright.
There is one in Lucan as well which is only at the end of my road so will start doing that too.
http://www.parkrun.ie/griffeen/course/

magpie seanie

Yeah. It's the Breast Cancer one. I'll be the one wearing the pink! Don't know if I'll be knocking 2 minutes off my time any time soon but I'll keep at it.

Bingo

Well into the Marathon programme after a nice week down in Cork on Holidays, great early morning runs along the beach and a lovely 1km tight hill back up to the house!

Put in 40miles from last Sunday to yesterday, followed the programme to a tee! First week, only 11 more to go.

laoislad

Good man Bingo.

I ran 26m49sec for my 5k Saturday morning so knocked another min off it.
Gonna keep going till I break 25min then will start trying to do a 10k.
Going to go out tonight after work but after the beering I done at the weekend I'm not looking forward to it. :-\

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2013, 11:17:11 AM
Good man Bingo.

Going to go out tonight after work but after the beering I done at the weekend I'm not looking forward to it. :-\

Fair play lad, you bombing away rightly. I'd start edging over the 5km mark towards 10km and it will have an impact on your 5km time.

Did you meet up with BC1 on Saturday? I was late getting in Saturday and had the wee lad in tow, so went straight into stadium, even at that was in seats just as the teams went off from their warm up.

The pubs seemed rammed.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2013, 11:21:24 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2013, 11:17:11 AM
Good man Bingo.

Fair play lad, you bombing away rightly. I'd start edging over the 5km mark towards 10km and it will have an impact on your 5km time.

Did you meet up with BC1 on Saturday? I was late getting in Saturday and had the wee lad in tow, so went straight into stadium, even at that was in seats just as the teams went off from their warm up.

The pubs seemed rammed.

Had the aul fella and a few lads up from home with me so I was driving so no beer till after the game,didn't meet up with anyone. Saw a fella wearing a Monaghan hoodie in the Premium that wasn't you was it?
Went to hurling(greatest game ever and more skillful than football) yesterday and had a belly full of beer so not in best shape today!

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2013, 11:30:48 AM
Had the aul fella and a few lads up from home with me so I was driving so no beer till after the game,didn't meet up with anyone. Saw a fella wearing a Monaghan hoodie in the Premium that wasn't you was it?
Went to hurling(greatest game ever and more skillful than football) yesterday and had a belly full of beer so not in best shape today!

I was in similar boat - had the auld fella (and mother as well) with me, I done the driving. Wasn't wearing the Monaghan Hoodie, wouldn't wear one either  ;)

More importantly did you cheer for the Dubs yesterday???  ;D

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2013, 10:27:41 AM
Well into the Marathon programme after a nice week down in Cork on Holidays, great early morning runs along the beach and a lovely 1km tight hill back up to the house!

Put in 40miles from last Sunday to yesterday, followed the programme to a tee! First week, only 11 more to go.
Good stuff bingo. Keep her lit.
I hope to be working in the recovery tent and the finish this year, so I'll have to give preference to fellow GAA boarders!
Ran a 10km down west at the weekend, have only being doing gym and two 30 minute runs per week since Christmas. Was nervous running a race for the first time since I was about 12 because serious fear I was gonna get my ass handed to me because of so little training. Managed to come in around the 37 and a half mark, one of most satisfying runs ever due to the lack of training!
Boston applications open in September, hope to be very lucky and get in, going to be very hard though I'd say because of the interest in it this year and I'd say those who didn't finish last year will get in automatically!
Fair play LaoisLad, keep it going, great stuff!

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2013, 11:39:05 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2013, 11:30:48 AM

I was in similar boat - had the auld fella (and mother as well) with me, I done the driving. Wasn't wearing the Monaghan Hoodie, wouldn't wear one either  ;)

More importantly did you cheer for the Dubs yesterday???  ;D

It's a bit like what I tell people when they ask me what I done when I spent a week in Bangkok on my own..
What happened and who I supported in Croke Park yesterday stays in Croke Park and will not be spoken of again,but as with Bangkok I had to do a lot of washing to take the dirty feeling off me when it was all over...

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on August 12, 2013, 11:45:47 AM

I hope to be working in the recovery tent and the finish this year, so I'll have to give preference to fellow GAA boarders!
Ran a 10km down west at the weekend, have only being doing gym and two 30 minute runs per week since Christmas. Was nervous running a race for the first time since I was about 12 because serious fear I was gonna get my ass handed to me because of so little training. Managed to come in around the 37 and a half mark, one of most satisfying runs ever due to the lack of training!
Boston applications open in September, hope to be very lucky and get in, going to be very hard though I'd say because of the interest in it this year and I'd say those who didn't finish last year will get in automatically!

I'll definately have to work my way into your tent afterwards, got one after Connemarathon and it worked great!

Happy with the running at the minute, definately going to follow the plan. I tended to run every run at pace and when it came to the long runs, I'd struggle to finish. Already feel stronger on the finishes and at a better pace throughout. Doing recovery runs as well, at a very slow pace and they loosen me out no end.

I've a mate heading for Boston, he got in on some sort of sponsors place. He heading with a Bro-in-law of his who is based in london but from my neck of the woods. It will be a huge event this year, fingers crossed you make it. Even with yopur qualifying time is it still a ballot for you?

Decent running on the 10km, I find the more relaxed you are in a race, you enjoy it more and the time follows.

You ever read "Born to Run". Read on the holidays last week, great read.

mb80b60

Quote from: Bingo on August 12, 2013, 11:59:31 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 12, 2013, 11:45:47 AM

I'll definately have to work my way into your tent afterwards, got one after Connemarathon and it worked great!

Happy with the running at the minute, definately going to follow the plan. I tended to run every run at pace and when it came to the long runs, I'd struggle to finish. Already feel stronger on the finishes and at a better pace throughout. Doing recovery runs as well, at a very slow pace and they loosen me out no end.

I've a mate heading for Boston, he got in on some sort of sponsors place. He heading with a Bro-in-law of his who is based in london but from my neck of the woods. It will be a huge event this year, fingers crossed you make it. Even with yopur qualifying time is it still a ballot for you?

Decent running on the 10km, I find the more relaxed you are in a race, you enjoy it more and the time follows.

You ever read "Born to Run". Read on the holidays last week, great read.

Just ordered this today off Amazon along with 'Running With The Kenyans'.  Both very highly rated.

I would like to start running having started to do quite a bit of cycling over the past few months.  I have read quite a few times that the best way to choose a pair of runners is to go into a dedicated shop and get them fitted etc. Can anyone reccommend such a shop in Belfast or Armagh, and roughly how much a good pair of runners cost?  Also, when running previously I have suffered quite a bit with shin splints - should a properly fitted pair of runners cure this for me?

Thanks,
Mal