Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: bamboo on July 03, 2013, 04:44:42 PM
Cheers BM, don't know how to include quote but i'll answer in here. Most of the parkruns would be done flat out, but getting a long run in before them would be nearly impossible. They start at 9am and i work until 4/5am most nights and also act as cabbie for the parkrun crew. I suppose i could swap things around and maybe do a run beforehand but getting the timing right would be an issue. Also wouldn't the standing around before the start kinda hinder things?

Thanks for the other advice. Currently using asics so will stick with those. There's a foam roller at the gym which i'll make use of. I'll be going there to do a bit of spin and core classes so can use it then.

2:50?? Christ Almighty!!

I've no time in mind yet, just finishing it will be the 1st aim. I'll have a better idea after the HM at the end of the month but it's a riverside one with a few obstacles apparently so not sure how good a gauge that'll be.

Now, if only i could quit this 20-a-day habit and give my lungs a chance............
Well if you're going to have the dedication to see this marathon through, you'll definitely have the ability to knock fags on the head!!

Right, long run before would be impossible if you're working to that time at night, wouldn't be out the question to get there in or around 9am say even if you ran for 45mins to 1 hour before in the warm up, then park run and then another 30-40mins warm down...that's the basis of a great tempo session right there.
100% no time on your 1st marathon, I went in trying to do sub 3 in 2011 and went to pieces in the last 8 miles.Learned from mistakes in 2012 then. It's all about finishing for your 1st one!
Use that foam roll and don't dodge it, it'll save you money and time off injured in the long run!

imtommygunn

Bamboo if you can do a long run on a thursday then you could treat the saturday as the tuesday on the plan if you see what i mean.

A few comments though...
parkrun is a great wee event but consider not going flat out every week. If it benefits your training then yes do it but if you do it and it impacts the long runs then not worth it for a marathon. Your long runs are your key session. A parkrun is free and weekly so you can come back to flat out...

Maybe even doing parkrun at marathon pace might help and then you should be fresh sunday and would be adapting to marathon pace. If you do this do a few miles after. Basically if you're training for a marathon a flatout parkrun probably won't have that many benefits for you.

As BM says finishing the best aim in first marathon. Have never done one but have trained with a lot who have all suffered during them.

I won my first parkrun in belfast a few weeks ago. There are five on the go now so the better runners are being more spread out!

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2013, 02:35:32 PM
I won my first parkrun in belfast a few weeks ago. There are five on the go now so the better runners are being more spread out!
Nice one, good feeling! Must be tipping sub 17 a good bit since going under a few months ago! Congrats.

imtommygunn

Quote from: ballinaman on July 06, 2013, 02:46:49 PM
Nice one, good feeling! Must be tipping sub 17 a good bit since going under a few months ago! Congrats.

Not even close... Can't run that fast at that time of the morning! 17:20 odd this morning. Not enough energy with no breakfast to be going any quicker.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2013, 03:37:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 06, 2013, 02:46:49 PM

Not even close... Can't run that fast at that time of the morning! 17:20 odd this morning. Not enough energy with no breakfast to be going any quicker.
Serious clipping all the same, ya, it's a tough time in the morning to run a quick time because you're basically burning fats which are slow release energy, much easier to do a long slow run compared to a flat out 5k I found.

Bingo

Good man Bamboo, I don't know how you manage to get any running in at all with your social life. If the Artane boys band where playing in London, you'd probably be at it!

Ballinaman has hit on everything really. I'd recommend the Aiscs 2000, wear them myself for the long runs and have a pair of GT1000's for the shorter runs. Nice to rotate them but the 2000's will be shortly replaced with a new pair, will stick to them.

Have been hit and miss recently with the running, probably 2 runs a week at best. Diet hasn't been good either but likely to be this time of the year as busy with work and everything else. Looking at a 12 week plan for Dublin (which is 16 weeks from today), so started last week trying to get back in routine and hit the plan with about 30 miles a week under the belt. Struggled through a 10 miler yesterday and the heat plays such a big factor in a run. It was tight going and alot of water needed, pace wasn't on the agenda.

bamboo

You're not wrong about the social life Bingo, it's one thing going to the odd gig, it's another thing completely drinking right through the night afterwards before going on another session while watching the GAA on a Sunday after only 3hrs kip!!. Thankfully the summer is nearly over so i can get properly stuck into a training plan, albeit a few weeks late.  You worry about your cooking and i'll worry about my addiction to live music.

Good point about the heat too. Just ran a decent paced 5k along the river, and between the heat and the previous few days excessive alcohol consumption it was a toughie to say the least.

Thanks again for the advice BM and Imtommy. Think i'll continue with flat out parkruns for another few weeks and then forget about PB's and just run them at MP with a couple of extra miles thrown in either before or after until the marathon is done and dusted. Well done on the win btw, great going.

Bingo

Quote from: bamboo on July 08, 2013, 09:01:47 PM
You're not wrong about the social life Bingo, it's one thing going to the odd gig, it's another thing completely drinking right through the night afterwards before going on another session while watching the GAA on a Sunday after only 3hrs kip!!. Thankfully the summer is nearly over so i can get properly stuck into a training plan, albeit a few weeks late.  You worry about your cooking and i'll worry about my addiction to live music.

Good point about the heat too. Just ran a decent paced 5k along the river, and between the heat and the previous few days excessive alcohol consumption it was a toughie to say the least.

Thanks again for the advice BM and Imtommy. Think i'll continue with flat out parkruns for another few weeks and then forget about PB's and just run them at MP with a couple of extra miles thrown in either before or after until the marathon is done and dusted. Well done on the win btw, great going.

Haha. It's not me that'll have to worry about my cooking, it's the poor soul who will have to taste it!

An Gaeilgoir

Lads,

Just starting back running after some knee pain and to be honest i have no confidence in getting my distances up due to a fear of it re-occurring....every twinge, ache makes me slow down/ stop and i cant push myself hard like i used to... does this pass after a while or is there a technique to over coming it.....

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 10, 2013, 01:43:05 PM
Lads,

Just starting back running after some knee pain and to be honest i have no confidence in getting my distances up due to a fear of it re-occurring....every twinge, ache makes me slow down/ stop and i cant push myself hard like i used to... does this pass after a while or is there a technique to over coming it.....

I'm sure Ballinaman man would have more to stay on it.

Over the last two years, I've had knee pain on both knees. Did no more than more stretches for the knee and started using a foam roller. Basically I just ran through it then, I remember one day and it was after a rest period and it was evident at the start of my run and I considered stopping but said I'd give it another while and after a minute or so I felt nothing and haven't since, kept at the stretches and the foam roller.

Obviously every injury could be different and yours may be different. Best advice is likely to consult a physio.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on July 10, 2013, 02:35:56 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 10, 2013, 01:43:05 PM
Lads,

I'm sure Ballinaman man would have more to stay on it.

Over the last two years, I've had knee pain on both knees. Did no more than more stretches for the knee and started using a foam roller. Basically I just ran through it then, I remember one day and it was after a rest period and it was evident at the start of my run and I considered stopping but said I'd give it another while and after a minute or so I felt nothing and haven't since, kept at the stretches and the foam roller.

Obviously every injury could be different and yours may be different. Best advice is likely to consult a physio.
Sound advice from Bingo there.

I'll throw up some general advice regarding knee pain in running which I've found from experience.

Two general types : 1) Traumatic - twist, fall, instant onset of pain. 2) Gradual build up of pain over weeks and sometimes months (running knee pain normally falls into this category)

Traumatic could be a ligamentous issue or cartilage. Normally a fair bit of swelling initially after the incident of injury.

Gradual/all over the knee sort of pain is usually related to the patella (knee cap) where there area around it and under it has become inflammed.
The knee cap is probably tracking a little bit off during each stride and over time this leads to the area being inflammed.

It can be sorted a few ways - foam rolling your ITB, quads and gluts so that the knee cap is being pulled in the wrong direction and strengthening your bum muscles( they help control your thigh bone position on impact during running) and your VMO muscle (small quad muscle that stabilises your knee cap).

So quick tests at home : Was there a specific incident or just a gradual onset? Sore when I touch my knee cap or the squishy area of tissue below?( patellar inflammation) or can I get my heel to my bum without pain on the outside or inside of knee? ( if pain, could be a meniscal/cartilage tear).

What causes gradual onset? Few of the most common reasons studies have shown..

1. Tight muscles - gluts, quads and ITB - don't allow the knee cap and knee joint function properly to disperse force though the knee. Foam roller is a NB purchase for an runner.

2. Weak gluts - sitting on your arse all day at work and then off pounding the roads - sound familiar? Arse muscles control your hip and again disperse force through your leg evenly when strong. Not talking about crushing diamonds with your arse strong, just need them activated - glut bridges, clam's ( all on youtube) every now and then to wake them up.

3. Poor footwear - Get yourself a decent pair of running shoes - You'll run better, less chance of getting injured and therefore save money on having to get the injury treated.

I know those barefoot running shoes are all the rage at the moment but the info is very sketchy. I don't buy into the argument of African or Native American tribes running barefoot for 100's of years injury free.
You can't compare those lads to the run of the mill runners at the moment. Terrain, genetic make up - type of running they do are all different to your average runner around these parts.
Get yourself a pair of Asics or Nike running shoes.

Hope that was clear enough but any questions, give us a shout!

I'm off for an hour run now after all this talk...warm weather training in Dublin eh. Who'd have thunk it?!?

An Gaeilgoir

Top Stuff there Ballinaman, I have gone to a physical therapist in Mayo for the past few weeks, been using the roller too, have to say the roller is some piece of kit, my ITB feels totally flat now when rolling it. Went and did 7.5 last week and rolled out a 10K yesterday in under 50 mins. Am delighted to be back in action again, but 10K will be the height of it distance wise for a while.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bingo

Stepped up the km's last week again but its a struggle in that heat plus I've been doing as much hill work as possible to build up leg muscle and lose a few pounds.

Managed 33km's from Tuesday to Sunday and also played a Recreational/Over 35 tournement on Saturday evening, 60 mins of football, was very enjoyable has to be said.

Legs feeling it today with a further run yesterday afternoon.

magpie seanie

Started doing a bit of running last week. Went out the first night not knowing what to expect - was honestly just trying to run for 5 minutes without stopping but managed to do 20. Am doing a shortish route (just over 2 miles) near my house and improving my time in leaps and bounds since the first night (down to below 18 mins now). Have done it 4 times now and again tonight. My short term target is a 5k on Sunday week which I should manage ok. My question is - should I up the distance or just continue to focus on improving my time over my current route? My brother who is an experienced runner reckons I should do the latter and save the challenge of the extra distance for race day (my first). What do ye think?

Mayo4Sam

Some of the more experienced lads might give better advice but I'd say definitely increase the distance, maybe trying running for 40/50 mins, slower pace once a week.
Even if its for your own sanity I'd mix it up, throw in hills some evening etc
Maybe 3 x 1mile intervals another, give yourself a 2-4 minute break in between but try and keep a good pace for each of them, or try and get a better time on each, its a real toughie
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me