Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 18, 2013, 05:29:30 PM
It was nearly half a k short tony... They run the same fecking race every year.i think the marshalls sent us the wrong way.

Hopefully nothing too serious mr.

Have laid off the running, tried it yesterday after a week off, stopped after 5 minutes. Cycling and swimming now, which isn't a bad thing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Blackwater 10km race today on Monaghan. Very well supported, over 1000 took part runners/walkers/fun runners. Tight course with 3km on road and rest in and round trails of rossmore forest, some good hills.

Finished in 41.53 for a new PB and 32nd place overall. Shattered but pleased.

bamboo

41:53??? F*cking hell, i think i'm ticking along nicely whittling down the minutes and then i see these kind of times and realise how far off the pace that i really am! That's great running Bingo, fair play.

I'm down to 22:50 for 5k and 49:06 for the 10k. Managed a few 13 mile slow training runs at almost 2hrs flat so hoping to up that to 15miles before starting on whichever marathon programme i decide to tackle. Have entered a half-mara at the end of July and will prob do another mid-late August to prepare for the Windsor half at the end of Sept. Then it's all about getting it all together for the big one in October. Still no idea what kinda time i'm hoping to achieve.

Still enjoying it though so that's the main thing.

Bingo

Quote from: bamboo on May 19, 2013, 06:56:18 PM
41:53??? F*cking hell, i think i'm ticking along nicely whittling down the minutes and then i see these kind of times and realise how far off the pace that i really am! That's great running Bingo, fair play.

I'm down to 22:50 for 5k and 49:06 for the 10k. Managed a few 13 mile slow training runs at almost 2hrs flat so hoping to up that to 15miles before starting on whichever marathon programme i decide to tackle. Have entered a half-mara at the end of July and will prob do another mid-late August to prepare for the Windsor half at the end of Sept. Then it's all about getting it all together for the big one in October. Still no idea what kinda time i'm hoping to achieve.

Still enjoying it though so that's the main thing.

Cheers Bamboo, I'm moving well enough but I'd be a little further down the road than yourself. I've still a bit to go to catch some of the otehr flyers on here and about the town. You're moving rightly in fairness.

Haven't posted since Sunday and I see I noted I was shattered. Well a few hours later, I felt totally floored, went into fever like condition of been shivering with the cold to burning hot in the space of hours. Been off work Monday and Tuesday and even went to the doctor for first time in years! Seems to be some viral thing, really floored me, breathing not great and energy levels are zero. Back at work today but still not great. Looks like the running will have to slow down for a week or so, so no Newry half this sunday which is disappointing.

PS Bamboo when will this famous best mans speech make an appearance on Youtube?

thewobbler

Did the Newry half marathon yesterday. Only my chip didn't register (something to do with keeping it in my pocket instead of shoe, I'd now guess).

Clocked me at 1.41.17 on Nike+, and found a photo crossing the line in 1.41.16. Very happy with that; my longest training run was 11 miles, and those last couple of miles nearly finished me off. How anyone converts that pace (and much better) into 26 miles is beyond me.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewobbler on May 27, 2013, 12:59:53 PM
Did the Newry half marathon yesterday. Only my chip didn't register (something to do with keeping it in my pocket instead of shoe, I'd now guess).

Clocked me at 1.41.17 on Nike+, and found a photo crossing the line in 1.41.16. Very happy with that; my longest training run was 11 miles, and those last couple of miles nearly finished me off. How anyone converts that pace (and much better) into 26 miles is beyond me.

Jaysus I should have said nothing and pretended to finish it too and claim I had my chip in my pocket as well :P

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 27, 2013, 02:23:40 PM

Jaysus I should have said nothing and pretended to finish it too and claim I had my chip in my pocket as well :P

You probably had a chip on the way round ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Denn Forever

You live, you learn.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thewobbler

I must be getting on a bit when I teach cute hoorism to Crossmaglen folk.

Rois

Any runners in Lisburn for the races tonight? It was a warm one.

Karl Kennedy

Have got a ipod nano 7th Gen and I mean to use it while running.
What are the best ipod armbands to strap around arm while out running?
also after a pair of decent headphones to use with it. Are the neckband headphones or bluetooth ones any good?

bamboo

Lads/Ladies,

1st up, apologies for the length of the post. I could probably get this info elsewhere but as i know some of you personally i know that i won't be led astray and as theirs only a small group that use this thread regularly i assume i can trust all of your advice will be spot on.

It's the time of year now where anyone doing the Dublin Marathon will be starting their training plans so thought i'd rack some of your experienced brains for some advice.

I've kept up the long easy runs(longest is 13.2M) with almost weekly parkruns thrown in to the mix but have 2 more weekends of madness to get out of the way before jumping into 1 of the plans. I haven't fully decided on 1 yet but having trawled through boards.ie and here i'm gonna settle on a mixture of mostly a HH plan (Bingos Advice) with some stuff moved around to suit.

I really don't want to miss out on the weekly parkrun as their are quite a few of us that do it and it's a kind of social thing now and a bit of short sharp speed work won't do me any harm. Plus it's a nice way to start the weekend.

However, them being on a Saturday is an issue as the LSR is scheduled for the Sunday. I actually currently do my LSR midweek so i'm wondering which would be the best day to do it? Would pace run on Wed, LSR Thurs, Rest Fri with parkrun on Saturday be ok? I could do a short easy on Friday and move rest day to Sunday quite easily if that's more beneficial?

One of my easy run routes is quite hilly so i'll do that once weekly but the majority of my running is along the Thames so it's quite flat. There's a few nice long stretches along there too which could be used for a bit of pace miles thrown in.

Being in England i won't be doing any of the Dublin series runs but i have a few other runs lined up. Have a 10k on 17th July, HM on 28th July but then nothing until another HM on 29th Sept which i've mentioned before. Also have a 16M run on 13th Oct, which will be treated as a LSR with maybe a few quick miles thrown in, before the marathon itself.

Gonna get the gait analysis done in the next few weeks and choose a new pair of trainers for the longer runs so i can alternate them with the current ones. Anyone any good suggestions? Looked at the current pair which have about 400+ miles on them and the soles are almost perfect apart from some slight wear and tear at the very back of the heels, left slightly worse than the right.

Also, What do you guys generally use as fuel? Water/Sports drink/Gels?

ballinaman

Quote from: bamboo on July 03, 2013, 04:11:53 PM
However, them being on a Saturday is an issue as the LSR is scheduled for the Sunday. I actually currently do my LSR midweek so i'm wondering which would be the best day to do it? Would pace run on Wed, LSR Thurs, Rest Fri with parkrun on Saturday be ok? I could do a short easy on Friday and move rest day to Sunday quite easily if that's more beneficial?

Gonna get the gait analysis done in the next few weeks and choose a new pair of trainers for the longer runs so i can alternate them with the current ones. Anyone any good suggestions? Looked at the current pair which have about 400+ miles on them and the soles are almost perfect apart from some slight wear and tear at the very back of the heels, left slightly worse than the right.

Also, What do you guys generally use as fuel? Water/Sports drink/Gels?
Hey Bamboo,
The parkrun on the Saturday following that midweek plan looks fine. Do you go flat out in the parkrun every Saturday? You could incorporate it into a tempo run or even do it at the end of a LSR. I regularly did 3 miles approx at marathon pace at the end of 18+ mile runs. Gives you a fair idea of what running at your projected pace with that many miles in the legs already done feels like. Doesn't have to be something to do every time but something to think about if you want to add a bit of variety.

Gait analysis isn't a bad idea although and a good pair of runners are vital, I use Nike lunar glides but I've a neutral foot so an asics might be better suited if you over pronate, Asics 2000 will generally do the job and not mad expensive like the kayano.

Get yourself a foam roller for your calves, quads and gluts. You could have the best running shoes, orthotics that money can buy but if you're muscles are too tight, you'll breakdown with an injury as you get further into the training.

HiFive IsoGels are good I found, not too thick compared to some gels on the market and easy to swallow when on the run.

Go luck with the training and give it stick. I'm in hibernation until November when I plan to give sub 2.50 in Boston next April a crack!

bamboo

Cheers BM, don't know how to include quote but i'll answer in here. Most of the parkruns would be done flat out, but getting a long run in before them would be nearly impossible. They start at 9am and i work until 4/5am most nights and also act as cabbie for the parkrun crew. I suppose i could swap things around and maybe do a run beforehand but getting the timing right would be an issue. Also wouldn't the standing around before the start kinda hinder things?

Thanks for the other advice. Currently using asics so will stick with those. There's a foam roller at the gym which i'll make use of. I'll be going there to do a bit of spin and core classes so can use it then.

2:50?? Christ Almighty!!

I've no time in mind yet, just finishing it will be the 1st aim. I'll have a better idea after the HM at the end of the month but it's a riverside one with a few obstacles apparently so not sure how good a gauge that'll be.

Now, if only i could quit this 20-a-day habit and give my lungs a chance............