Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Any recommendations for the best of the belfast parkruns, thinking of doing the queens one, am staying in the ramada, am I right in thinking its just round the corner?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

Depends on what you're looking for. Queens isn't the fastest but is a good wee event. Victoria is the fastest - did it on saturday for the first time - but is a wee bit mundane.

It is just round the corner from shaws bridge.

MR stretching and icing your best bet. Probably past the ice stage so stretch and strengthen.(or alternatively a physio a better bet...)

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 15, 2013, 12:53:49 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. Queens isn't the fastest but is a good wee event. Victoria is the fastest - did it on saturday for the first time - but is a wee bit mundane.

MR stretching and icing your best bet. Probably past the ice stage so stretch and strengthen.(or alternatively a physio a better bet...)
Try the middle stretch in this video MR....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJG9V5Td55A

I find it good to have your sole of your foot flat also and drop your right shoulder to inside of your right knee (if you are stretching right hammer).....make sure left foot on the ground is pointing straight also, long sustained stretches, 30 seconds minimum. As far as you can pain free.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on April 15, 2013, 01:08:17 PM

Try the middle stretch in this video MR....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJG9V5Td55A

I find it good to have your sole of your foot flat also and drop your right shoulder to inside of your right knee (if you are stretching right hammer).....make sure left foot on the ground is pointing straight also, long sustained stretches, 30 seconds minimum. As far as you can pain free.

Aye I've been stretching it and will be doing some strengthing exercises on it but wanted to know which ones are best, cheers. Would the leg curling machine be a decent work out for the hamstrings? I'm past the ice stage Tommy I think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Squats, lunges and single leg bridges strengthen the hamstrings. Single leg squats would put a bigger focus on them too.

Leg curling "out the way" would target the quds but leg curling "in the way" targets the hamstrings. Again single leg of these focuses. Gyms seem to vary on these - some have the machines where you ly down while others have sit down with legs horizontal and pull in.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 15, 2013, 04:15:30 PM
Squats, lunges and single leg bridges strengthen the hamstrings. Single leg squats would put a bigger focus on them too.

Leg curling "out the way" would target the quds but leg curling "in the way" targets the hamstrings. Again single leg of these focuses. Gyms seem to vary on these - some have the machines where you ly down while others have sit down with legs horizontal and pull in.

Aye the in the way one I was using as you say they generally have only a double leg one , but I put the weight down and used the single leg on it. As for squats and lunges i would do that a lot but will probably focus more on the single leg squats
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

London marathon about the kick off....

Fancy Mackau to take it, has been unlucky before! Think Mo might do well until halfway... ;)

Bingo

Got back on the bike as such on Saturday evening and entered a local 5km run in Dundalk. Hadn't done much since connemara bar a few 5 mile easy runs. Brother was heading up to it, so I said I'd go as well, done it last year and its a fast course. Wasn't really thinking of a time but was hoping to go sub 20m. Plan was to head out fast and see what the legs had left for finish.

Went better than plan and finished in 19.15, course was very fast with wind on back for the finish. Happy with that and its a PB by about 53 secs.

Yesterday headed down to the far side of Slane, a friends of womans husband died suddenly before xmas and he was principal of a National school, so every year they hold a 10km and family 3km fun run. We headed down to support it as it was in memory this year. Wasn't up for the 10km after the run the night before, so did the 3km run with the wee lad, he's 5. Had such a laugh with him, after a blistering start he adpoted a run/walk/run/walk strategy, he was very concerned about his position the whole way and if he was doing good. Kept looking back to make sure he was beating his mammy and sister who where doing bad. He was starting to get fed up and the finish line appeared, head down and he pumped the arms to finish in spectacular style and got a great reception. Was a great day and he was delighted with himself.

Two of the lads from the running group in town did London yesterday and finished in 2.49 and 2.53, great runs from them.

brokencrossbar1

As I said before I am running the Newry marathon to raise money for PIPS.  I have started a sticky thread to keep it in peoples' view but here is the link to make on line donations!!!

Please Donate Here!

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2013, 11:58:45 AM
As I said before I am running the Newry marathon to raise money for PIPS.  I have started a sticky thread to keep it in peoples' view but here is the link to make on line donations!!!

Please Donate Here!

I'll defo sort you out for a few quid before the off.

Hows the training going?

On behalf of the board I'll also volunteer to ensure that he completes the marathon and will abuse encourage him on the day as I'll likely do the half marathon on the same day.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on April 30, 2013, 12:22:58 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2013, 11:58:45 AM

Please Donate Here!

I'll defo sort you out for a few quid before the off.

Hows the training going?

On behalf of the board I'll also volunteer to ensure that he completes the marathon and will abuse encourage him on the day as I'll likely do the half marathon on the same day.

Slowly and er....slowly :D  No fear that I won't finish it, it just depends on which day I finish it!

southdown

Started doing 4 miles every morning along the Mersey before going to work.  Feel great after it and the view can be lovely.

thewobbler

Fair play BCB.

After mulling between the full and the half at Newry for a few months, I've taken the easier option. Just couldn't face 5-6 weekends in a row of piling on the miles.  I'll save the long one for when I've more time to train. Maybe.

Milltown Row2

Thinking of doing the Dublin marathon, whats the story with entry dates and is it difficult to register?

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2013, 06:25:46 PM
Thinking of doing the Dublin marathon, whats the story with entry dates and is it difficult to register?

It's open for reg now, think price goes up in June or July. Very simple to register, just give your details and expected time. You can add on some of the other pre race runs as well and get a discount - 10miler, half marathon, which are all based in Phoenix park, may not suit you travel wise though.