Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamboo

Legs were sore all last week so only did 1 decent run during the week along with soem gym work.

Went to Richmond Park parkrun on Saturday and my watch refused to pick up a signal before the race so i set off not knowing what pace i was doing. Flew around for the 1st few k and then struggled home for the last few. Ended up with 23:41 which is a PB. My 2 fellow runners also got a PB.

Then we went back to Richmond Park on Sunday for a 10k over the same route but from a different starting point and 2 laps instead of one. Found it to be my toughest run yet but got through it in 49:30 which is a 10k PB. My 2 mates also got a 10k PB so was a successful weekend for us all.

After having sore and tired legs all week, especially my quads, i woke up Monday as fresh as a daisy!! Sun was out for the 1st time in months so i put on the gear and headed out along the river. Felt as good as i've done in ages and ended up doing 10 miles door to door in 1hr 30. I was well able to keep it going had i wanted. Strange the way the body works at times! Ran another easy 10k yesterday eve and feel 100% today.

Off home to Carrick-on-Shannon this weekend for a Shannon boat cruise to Athlone and back for a stag do so running opps. will be at a minimum.

Best of luck to Bingo (and anyone else) doing the Connemarathon. Hope you get the weather and the time that you're hoping for.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on April 03, 2013, 11:40:24 AM
Ran my first ever 10K at the weekend, 58 minutes and 48 seconds or the likes, was happy enough to get under the hour TBH. I didn't do a whole lot of training, my feet went numb about half way and the bloody hills and wind off the Irish sea made it hard to breathe for almost a mile was disastrous, kept plodding along anyway. stamina running was never my thing but enjoyed it all the same.

Not bad for a fat git ;D  Grand stuff all the same, the stubbornness keeps ya going, now you have a base time to work on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Cheers Bamboo, you're flying and good to see the PB's are been clocked up. Seen your picture on FB of you and Crazy gang, you'd certainly see the difference on you! You are likely sea sick at this minute or marooned on an island on the shannon somewhere, but sure be a good time to start swimming as well and maybe think of Triathlons as well!!

Weekend of Connemarathon has arrived! Finally. Did a 8mile on Sunday down in Kilkenny on a wee break with the family, was absolute horrible run - breathing struggling, legs felt heavy, wind in face and couldn't wait to finish it. Was like running in wet cement!! Knocked me a bit as I was easy on the runs all week and wanted to keep fresh after a few heavy weeks. Did nothing since till yesterday evening and did a nice easy 3 mile run yesterday evening and it felt great! Was holding myself back, legs felt fresh, breathing was easy and all was good again.

So bar a 1.5mile run on Saturday before I head for Galway, all the work is done. Fingers crossed its not too windy, I can manage the rain but wind makes such a difference. At the minute its giving a breezey enough day, so not looking too good for that but hopefully that can change!  :-[

brokencrossbar1

So I'm fucked for want of a better word, I haven't been running much in the last while and I registered to do the Newry Marathon yesterday.  I have 51 days to get fit!!!!!  Anyway, I have done them before without training, I just wouldn't mind getting a better time this time out.  I am doing it for charity and when I have my justgiving page set up you feckers better get your card details handy!!!!

Bingo

I'll give a brief race report now, when half four.

Bastard wind. Wind was a whore. Hills with no forgiveness. I wanted to never run again. Last hour was pure torture and then some.

I hit wall. Finished in 4.03. PAIN. Never again.

Milltown Row2

Well done regardless.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Fair play to you Bingo, any marathon is an achievement.  Tell me was it all on the roads or was it cross-country as well?

imtommygunn

Well done Bingo. That marathon is known for being very tough so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

ballinaman

Well done Bingo, it's a horrific course in fairness and use that last hour of pain in future races, you'll never feel as bad as that again.

I was down at it a few years ago when the auld lad was doing the half, course was brutally tough. Someone said that it's lovely scenery to him after, said yes, it would be...on a drive.

An Gaeilgoir

Did the half yesterday in Connemara, was out on my feet all last week with a flu and really felt in on the hill into Maam on the last 8K, a headwind for most of it too, it is a brutal finish, came in under the 2 hours so am happy with that. Christ, though these Ultra boys, you have to take your hat off to them, one of them did them in his flip flops and came in in around the 4 and a half hour mark. Savage men.

ballinaman

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on April 08, 2013, 01:21:55 PM
Did the half yesterday in Connemara, was out on my feet all last week with a flu and really felt in on the hill into Maam on the last 8K, a headwind for most of it too, it is a brutal finish, came in under the 2 hours so am happy with that. Christ, though these Ultra boys, you have to take your hat off to them, one of them did them in his flip flops and came in in around the 4 and a half hour mark. Savage men.
Seriously? Idiot if true.

An Gaeilgoir

He passed me around the 17 mile mark and i was talking to him at the finish.

ballinaman

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on April 08, 2013, 01:26:57 PM
He passed me around the 17 mile mark and i was talking to him at the finish.
Jeeze, that's asking for trouble with regards injuries!

Bingo

Cheers lads. I seen that guy in the flip flops as well, strange choice to say the least.

Feeling not too bad today. Was a serious tough day, felt great and was going well till 20 miles. Likely I stuck to my pre race pace and with the wind and hills it took its toll. Should have eased off and left something in the tank. Walked a right bit over last 3 miles but physically couldn't get a pace going, knee was in bits as well.

When I finished I was in bits, just went and found a spot indoors and put the head down for two mins. Met a few of the lads then who done the half. They sorted me with a cup of tea and a raisin bar, which was great. In fairness, it's a super run event and the physios and sports therapists giving the rubs afterwards was like heaven, cheers Gina!

On reflection I shouldn't be too annoyed. 228th place out of 590 or so. Felt I had 3.45 or better in me.

Galway was mighty craic last night but every pub seemed to have the bogs up stairs. Was gas meeting various hobbling runners as they negotiated the stairs.

Onwards and upwards, roll on the NewryCity half and the full in Dublin!

Milltown Row2

Haven't been able to run the last week or so, I refereed a game and played a game last Sunday and since then I have had problems with my hamstring. Really annoying as I've been going great guns lately and I've two parts of the Marathon to do in a few weeks time. I'm still doing cardio stuff in the spin classes but I'd like to get this sorted soon.

Whats the best treatment for a hamstring injury, I'm not sure of the the degree of injury but I know it's stopping me from running