Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

I've a bit of a runners injury, not that i class myself as a runner before we start.

its a pain right on the kneecap and it was diagnosed 20 years or so ago as maltracking kneecap. i've only recently taken up running again but when i try and up the distance to 5 miles + runs , the pain comes into my kneecap. i think its classed as runners knee as well.

before i speak with a physio, has anyone here any recommendations or advice on how i can help it ?

muppet

Just a comment for the more, shall we say, well insulated of us. This is my 2nd attempt at a 8-9 weeks running programme. I am only into week 2 and again the weight has started to fall off quickly. Even if, like me, running without a ball is not your idea of productive time, if you want to lose 5 - 10 kilos in just over a month while maintaining your beer and chip consumption where it is, this isn't a bad way of doing it.
MWWSI 2017

aontroim abu

Just a comment for the more, shall we say, well insulated of us. This is my 2nd attempt at a 8-9 weeks running programme. I am only into week 2 and again the weight has started to fall off quickly. Even if, like me, running without a ball is not your idea of productive time, if you want to lose 5 - 10 kilos in just over a month while maintaining your beer and chip consumption where it is, this isn't a bad way of doing it.

Starting training again,need to lose weight but have a bit of a back problem so weights are out. Muppet any chance you could post a link to your training programme just to see if I would be up to it please?

Bingo

Abble, I've had a bit of a similar injury on my right knee, ws given a number of stretches to do and exercises to strenghten it and haven't had the same problems but you would need to get it looked at and stretches demostrated to be of benefit. If you know a physio, he'll show you quick enough or Youtube will be your friend. Have a similar problem on my other knee at present but am using a foam roller now and its helping that one.

Did my last "big run" before connemara yesterday, 15 miles in very windy and cold conditions. It absolutely floored me, kept at a decent pace throughout but have a bit of a cold as well and it didn't help with recovery. 2 weeks now till the race, will be doing very little miles between now and then, at most a 8 miler next weekend. Have the bonus of heading to Kilkenny for the weekend with the family for 3 days over the Easter weekend, so have the luxury of some downtime and a nice pool to relax in*

* - with two kids in tow though this is very unlikely  ;D

muppet

Quote from: aontroim abu on March 25, 2013, 01:31:23 PM

Starting training again,need to lose weight but have a bit of a back problem so weights are out. Muppet any chance you could post a link to your training programme just to see if I would be up to it please?

It is a free App on iPhone called C25K (Couch to 5K). There are loads of similar Apps and sites.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on March 25, 2013, 12:41:00 PM

Muppet I take it you can use this app as a guide and don't have to have the IPhone with you when you are jogging, as I find it a pain running with something that bulky.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on March 25, 2013, 07:42:22 PM

Muppet I take it you can use this app as a guide and don't have to have the IPhone with you when you are jogging, as I find it a pain running with something that bulky.

I hate running because it's so bulky but manage to use a jock strap, less hassle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BartSimpson

If u consider theiphone bulky i hate to think wat u tink of my gut! LOL
guwan the parish

muppet

If you are a genuine candidate for C25K, the phone isn't the bulkiest problem.
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

muppet

Quote from: gerrykeegan on March 27, 2013, 05:47:00 PM
Is that you on the left Muppet? :P

http://youtu.be/pcStG1GGBQg

I didn't get through to the final!

I blame Joe Brolly.
MWWSI 2017

An Gaeilgoir

Anyone ever suffer the effects of over-training? i am suffering the past two weeks, sore legs, lack of energy and slow times...

imtommygunn

Ease your training load back. You can do the same miles but at lower effort levels would be my recommendation.

gallsman

While not strictly a running question, I picked up an injury about six months back while out for a run that was the start of a weight loss programme. This run would have been the first proper exercise I'd done in years with the exception of the odd game of 5 a side. After about a mile and half, I started getting this dull ache in the inner arch of my left foot. After a while it got so bad I had to hobble home and i could barely walk for days after it.

Over the next few months I cleaned up my diet and started going to circuit training three times a week. The pain returns during any exercise that bends the foot, but I can usually run it off after the first circuit or two. However, the next time I go back to a class, it starts up all over again until I run it off. I've recently been given a training programme that calls for interval sprints on the rowing machine - the pain flares up again on the forward crunch, but again after a while appears to subside. Any thoughts?

imtommygunn

Ballinaman is a physio so much wiser to these things... Have you ever heard of plantar fasciitis?

That is the most common foot injury in runners from what i understand. Causes can be bad trainers or may be biomechanics or the like too. You could maybe check. If you get a tennis ball or even a can of coke and roll your problematic foot across it , several times, then if you find a point of pain that's what it is.  It seems to work by having a "trigger point" under the foot. It's not that hard to get rid of.

Failing that you could be having problems with fallen foot arch or something like that but i wouldn't know that much on the subject.

If you're not a hypocondriac check out google but if you are steer clear!!