Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 18, 2017, 11:12:09 PM
Tyrone played the same system they always play today - getting 13/14 men behind the ball
And break at pace - that is no different to what they have done over the last two years. There was no change of style. The only difference today was that they scored65% of their shots
They didn't kick the usual 13-15 wides that we usually get!
They have always created a lot of scoring chances despite being labelled as being all out defensive
For example against Dublin in the league this year they created almost double the amount of scoring chances that Dublin did, against Mayo it was a very high total - but in both games they kicked a massive amount of wides/ shorts.
The difference today was no change in tactics or style - they just managed to convert a lot more chances

Yeah, that's fairly true though our kick out strategy was much more adventurous. We went direct which allowed us more space to get into and I think Donegal also allowed us to play unlike they did last year. For me Colm Cavanagh was the main man today, lorded it at midfield and was the platform for our dominance, a great target for Morgan to hit and we fed off him.

Good to see Conall McCann making the most of his opportunity.

The Trap

I was excited by that fuzzman.....might go to the Ulster final......haven't been at a county match since the borefest ulster final last year...let's hope the new expressive approach continues......if it is monaghan as expected I believe tyrone have the pace to burn them too.....

redhandefender

Quote from: longballin on June 18, 2017, 09:46:11 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 18, 2017, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on June 18, 2017, 06:30:10 PM
Not many on mouthing about Tyrone management tonight I see!

Their Ford Anglias probably broke down enroute to the game.

Thats because they got back to playing football which is what we wanted!! Management listened! Shows what they should have been doing all along. Excellent today.

Nonsense, you are a complete slabber, at least stick to your guns.

Tyrone were the exact same yesterday it just clicked and Donegal were done for when they went a few behind.

Also can't see the McCrory thing, yes he is quick and serious engine gets around the pitch but keeps popping up in the attack and usually we miss a chance because of it. Not blaming him but hes a corner back. Also, what does lee brennan have to do, mc curry and o'neill were abysmal

tothetop03

Top of the head and face burned to a crisp!!! Enjoyed some lovely pints after the game just so delighted with the performance yesterday...Dont care what Donegal where like to be honest,one game at time,performing like yesterday will win a lot of games bring on the Ulster final now...Wont get carried away yet as we have been warned but by god i left Clones last night after a few scoops with a very happy car load....only downside was some Donegal supporters near where i was, behaviour was shocking.....

BennyHarp

Quote from: redhandefender on June 19, 2017, 08:57:57 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 18, 2017, 09:46:11 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 18, 2017, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on June 18, 2017, 06:30:10 PM
Not many on mouthing about Tyrone management tonight I see!

Their Ford Anglias probably broke down enroute to the game.

Thats because they got back to playing football which is what we wanted!! Management listened! Shows what they should have been doing all along. Excellent today.

Nonsense, you are a complete slabber, at least stick to your guns.

Tyrone were the exact same yesterday it just clicked and Donegal were done for when they went a few behind.

Also can't see the McCrory thing, yes he is quick and serious engine gets around the pitch but keeps popping up in the attack and usually we miss a chance because of it. Not blaming him but hes a corner back. Also, what does lee brennan have to do, mc curry and o'neill were abysmal

Yeah, class performance all round but one head scratcher from yesterday was Mickey not giving Lee Brennan at least another 20 mins of championship football. With all due respect to Ronan O'Neill, he is unlikely to feature if we progress to AI semi finals or finals, Lee is hopefully the future so you'd think the more game time he has under his belt, the better.
That was never a square ball!!

Man Marker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 18, 2017, 11:19:04 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on June 18, 2017, 11:12:09 PM
Tyrone played the same system they always play today - getting 13/14 men behind the ball
And break at pace - that is no different to what they have done over the last two years. There was no change of style. The only difference today was that they scored65% of their shots
They didn't kick the usual 13-15 wides that we usually get!
They have always created a lot of scoring chances despite being labelled as being all out defensive
For example against Dublin in the league this year they created almost double the amount of scoring chances that Dublin did, against Mayo it was a very high total - but in both games they kicked a massive amount of wides/ shorts.
The difference today was no change in tactics or style - they just managed to convert a lot more chances

Conal was anonymous, if the game had of been tighter he would have been removed much earlier. Top notch performance. System the same, but as some one said we kick our chances instead of having a lot of wides. Additionally Donegal were so in Donegal like, not a tackle in their defence and their centre wide open on many occasions.

Yeah, that's fairly true though our kick out strategy was much more adventurous. We went direct which allowed us more space to get into and I think Donegal also allowed us to play unlike they did last year. For me Colm Cavanagh was the main man today, lorded it at midfield and was the platform for our dominance, a great target for Morgan to hit and we fed off him.

Good to see Conall McCann making the most of his opportunity.

Fuzzman

Glad to see great performances by Tiernan, Colm, McGeary, Mattie and Sludden.

I thought Colm totally outshone Sean yesterday and if I'm to be honest I think Sean didn't really have a great game. He used to never miss goal chances like that but he hit it straight at the keeper. If it had of been Ronan O'Neill or McCurry we would be slating them. What do others think or am I being harsh on him?

At 4 each it looked like it was gonna be another tight game but we just started to kick some majestic scores from far out. Bradley was making very smart jinking runs from side to side to keep them guessing will we kick it in long to him or run it.
I think our variation if play yesterday was why we seemed to get more space and expose their defence a bit more than last year.

That long kick out over the top scared the bejaysus out of them as it meant there could be heavy price to pay for pushing up on our kickouts. Colm's high fielding has become an important part of our gameplan now along with the mark which is what I hoped though Mickey played it down at the time in was introduced.

Like so many have said it has been a long time since I came home from a Tyrone match feeling like we really moved up a level but of course many will ask was it because Donegal were so poor. As usual the answer is usually somewhere in teh middle.

What were they saying on BBC at half time and full time? Spillane seemed very full of praise last night as the Newstalk team did on the radio. As Mickey said afterwards, we've been threatening to put in a big performance like that for a while now but just playing it fits and starts.

It is strange though how reluctant Mickey is to use Lee Keegan. There must be some reason.

Redhand Santa

A fantastic performance and one that will hopefully shut up a few critics for another while anyway. No word from Southtyronegael yet on the match? For all the doom and gloom that has been pedalled here for 6 months including after a hammering of Derry Tyrone have probably never scored as many times in the first two games of a championship. The movement and point taking was excellent throughout whilst still maintaining a strong defensive shield.

The tactics where largely similar to previous years but there definitely was a tweak to it with more emphasis on attacking in numbers. Was delighted to see us not only push up on the kickout properly for a change but also compete so strongly in midfield. Colm Cavanagh was excellent there and we also fought hard for the breaking ball.

Last year I thought we had mixed the defensive structure with attacking football well up until the ulster final and all Ireland quarter final when we became too concerned with defence. It looks like we have learnt from that and are hopefully ready to push on for a big summer ahead.

I see despite scoring 1-21 people are still questioning Lee Brennan's omission. I suspect he could have been carrying a knock but either way Mickey Harte is the right man to make the decision on whether he is ready, he see's much more of him than the rest of us. The fact he threw in Mulgrew shows he has no bother throwing in younger players. Was great to see McGeary and Hampsey really step up yesterday as well as the return to form of Harte and Mattie. Sludden was excellent as well.

Redhand Santa

I forgot to mention T McCann who was excellent as well, especially according to one or two on here he's not good enough to be on the team. It wasn't Sean Cavanagh's best game missing a few chances but still think he was involved well and his driving run nearly sent Brennan through for a goal. He also comes out and can compete well around the middle. He'll be disappointed with his finish for the first goal chance.

Man Marker

I think that it is worth noting that if Mc Hugh had of buried his gift of a goal, this would have been a very different game.

vallankumous

Quote from: Man Marker on June 19, 2017, 10:56:19 AM
I think that it is worth noting that if Mc Hugh had of buried his gift of a goal, this would have been a very different game.

It's not worth noting that.

Redhand Santa

Or if Cavanagh, Hampsey or Harte had taken their goal chances the game could have been totally out of sight at half time.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 19, 2017, 10:43:29 AM
Glad to see great performances by Tiernan, Colm, McGeary, Mattie and Sludden.

I thought Colm totally outshone Sean yesterday and if I'm to be honest I think Sean didn't really have a great game. He used to never miss goal chances like that but he hit it straight at the keeper. If it had of been Ronan O'Neill or McCurry we would be slating them. What do others think or am I being harsh on him?

At 4 each it looked like it was gonna be another tight game but we just started to kick some majestic scores from far out. Bradley was making very smart jinking runs from side to side to keep them guessing will we kick it in long to him or run it.
I think our variation if play yesterday was why we seemed to get more space and expose their defence a bit more than last year.

That long kick out over the top scared the bejaysus out of them as it meant there could be heavy price to pay for pushing up on our kickouts. Colm's high fielding has become an important part of our gameplan now along with the mark which is what I hoped though Mickey played it down at the time in was introduced.

Like so many have said it has been a long time since I came home from a Tyrone match feeling like we really moved up a level but of course many will ask was it because Donegal were so poor. As usual the answer is usually somewhere in teh middle.

What were they saying on BBC at half time and full time? Spillane seemed very full of praise last night as the Newstalk team did on the radio. As Mickey said afterwards, we've been threatening to put in a big performance like that for a while now but just playing it fits and starts.

It is strange though how reluctant Mickey is to use Lee Keegan. There must be some reason.

There's one very obvious reason!  ;)
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

The McHugh goal would have certainly made it a lot more interesting but I think Tyrone were just in a different place mentality yesterday. It was like a different team and approach to the game than we saw in the league.

The hunger and desire amongst them all, I was behind the far goals and head McCarron shouting at them all near the end to WAKE UP! as Donegal were pressing forward for goals.

What did people think of Peter Harte yesterday? I thought he was a bit subdued again compared to most of the rest of the team.
He kicked some good scores but thought his usual workrate was missing and he could have got a goal.

I see Donegal got Longford at home in the next round. I'd imagine Monaghan won't be overly happy with watching our performance yesterday.

Man Marker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 19, 2017, 11:02:47 AM

Or if Cavanagh, Hampsey or Harte had taken their goal chances the game could have been totally out of sight at half time.

I agree entirely, however the other goal chances may not have come if that had been buried, what I am saying that these fine margins change the complete psychological mindset of players during the game. I was some boost to us when they missed it, as it would have changes everything. I take you back to Donegals famous win V Dublin in the semi final. Dublin missed two if not three goals chances in the first 20 mins and would have steam rolled Donegal, but missed all and Donegal grabbed their goal chance  to score a memorable win