Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

what made it great was the knockout factor would the celebrations have been as big if there was back door maybe but the defeat would not have been as devastating for Donegal.

Eire90

I think the knockout factor has made the provincials more important  i dont think the provincials work under backdoor what i would do is if they go to a backdoor system get rid  of the super 8s and give the 4 provincial champions a home game in the quarter finals i dont know why they dont do that you should be awarded with home game for winning your province.

Eire90

Anyway they need to get rid of super 8s this year shows knockout football is more intense they have the league for multiple game format no need to turn the all Ireland into league at that stage

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Gold on November 23, 2020, 12:46:31 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 22, 2020, 11:00:14 PM
That first injury reminded me of McGinley when he broke his neck in the AIF in 03 and played on. Ended up in a neck brace for ages.

That brilliant catch in the second half...my heart was in my mouth.

That catch was INCREDIBLE ...flew into the TV screen ...at such a crucial time too. His neck, wrist and face all fcuked....what a warrior!

Red haired Corner back immense.

Barry Cassidy though...those 2 black cards were criminal. Cavan were rode. Donegal got a free on Neil magee and one McBrearty tapped over after a donegal player missed...for NOTHING!

Delighted they won. And Tipp!

Best GAA day in years.

James Smith is a baller. As is Madden.  What a team

Can't think of many better days from a neutral point of view. Certainly not in a long time. Maybe 2004 quarter finals with Fermanagh shocking Armagh and Mayo beating defending champions Tyrone. To think this season nearly didn't happen and some people arguing it wouldn't mean anything without fans. Yesterday fairly ended that idea!

armaghniac

Quote from: Eire90 on November 23, 2020, 02:09:59 AM
what made it great was the knockout factor would the celebrations have been as big if there was back door maybe but the defeat would not have been as devastating for Donegal.

I don't think Tipperary or Cavan would have enjoyed winning less if there was a backdoor, but as you say Donegal might not have been as devastated.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ethan Tremblay

Magical weekend of football with both Tipp and Cavan tearing up the script. 
Cavan were wonderful to watch and it goes to show that a team with absolute belief in themselves can achieve anything.  I am more an advocate of the knockout system now than I ever was. 

As Mc Conville stated also, should the semi final be played in Croke Park? I don't believe it should? No fans should surely dictate a neutral venue?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Armagh18

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 23, 2020, 10:16:51 AM
Magical weekend of football with both Tipp and Cavan tearing up the script. 
Cavan were wonderful to watch and it goes to show that a team with absolute belief in themselves can achieve anything.  I am more an advocate of the knockout system now than I ever was. 

As Mc Conville stated also, should the semi final be played in Croke Park? I don't believe it should? No fans should surely dictate a neutral venue?
Should be in Armagh or Newry. Especially if teams arent travelling on buses.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 18, 2020, 04:04:42 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on November 18, 2020, 04:00:14 PM
No disrespect to cavan but I'd say the donegal management team will have one eye on the semi final already. They'll churn out the usual lines, one game at a time, cavan will be tough etc etc but realistically the dubs are on the horizon. Think I'm correct in that it's ulster v Leinster this year?

Absolutely fine by Cavan. Let them do that, that's a sure fire way of slipping up. If they take one eye off, that's when a team like Cavan will beat you, a team when doesn't know it's dead and won't go away will take advantage of concentration slipping

Seems Donegal did take their eye off the ball and looked to Dublin, but Cavan also raised the game immensely too. I knew we had a chance. Got to say there was huge disrespect coming to Cavan both here and from all corners including the media, seeing odds against Cavan. Which were mad considering the path of both teams last few years. There wasn't that much between them. We'll enjoy our title anyway, and look forward to Dublin in 2 weeks. No fear now.

Taylor

Will Galligan be fit for the semi final?

Itchy

Quote from: Taylor on November 23, 2020, 10:39:21 AM

Ah jaysus, he will don't worry about that man. Its only bruising and cuts he has.

Anyone know will the game be on the BBC player, don't see it there this morning but all the other games were?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2020, 10:42:57 AM

Ah jaysus, he will don't worry about that man. Its only bruising and cuts he has.

Anyone know will the game be on the BBC player, don't see it there this morning but all the other games were?

I can't see it up yet. NI things can go up a bit slowly, I'd expect that to be up soon though. Lucky I have it recorded, so going to rewatch it now!

Taylor

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2020, 10:42:57 AM

He was holding his wrist a lot during the interview so thought it could be more serious than bruising.
Hope to Christ he is ok.

A lot has to be said for a team going out and having a go at it

BennyCake

Last night the GAA fixtures page had all 4 semis in Croke Park. Don't understand this at all.

82,000 stadium totally empty, echos around the place. A smaller stadium looks and sounds far better.

If you look at the map, Thurles ideal for both hurling semis. Salthill for Mayo-Tipp and Navan for Cav-Dub.

I'm not sure what the situation is with team travel, whether they use their cars or what, and use of changing rooms etc, but taking all teams to Dublin is madness.

Eire90

should it be held in a neutral province so play it in Connaught mayo v tipperary can be played in donegal or cavan or armagh

Angelo

Is it not bad form that panel members outside the matchday 26 were not allowed attend the matches yesterday but you had some partners of players and management there?

I noticed the Tipp captain gave a mention to the 12 players who had been training with them all along but could not attend the match yesterday?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL