Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

If riain o Neill knee drop incident wasn't a red card then we should forget about protecting players at all full stop. He's a top level athlete, and should know what is going in.  The
Incident caught on camera is a fact, insinuating provocation is what Armagh do well, it certainly is not a fact and I for one really doubt it.
Now an alternative fact might be that He was obviously not fit to play as he was gesticulating to the physio a few mins before about a quad muscle and he was only a few minutes from leaving the field with injury so he went out to hit hard and take a yellow which he did. Many a man done it before many will do it again. He's a great player and soon will be back. Now This is speculative opinion but only as much as to say he was provoked.

tonto1888

CK_Redhand

https://youtu.be/izHPKwcg8bw

Knee drop.
Holding knee on face.

I can't see how anybody can deny either of those statements. The rabbit punch is debatable.

An Fhairche Abu

If the team named starts then Sweeney and Maher can feel hard done by, Sweeney in particular has been really good in both group games to date but McHugh was always going to come straight back in I suppose. They are two great lads to be bringing in from the bench though and reflects some of the improved squad depth this year, Maher made a power of difference after his introduction against Westmeath. The condition of Finnerty is one to watch, only forward on that bench you'd be counting on for scores if changes needed. Burke and Walsh could do with showing up well on Sunday.

Interesting to see Cillian Ó Curraoin comes into the 26, he's not long in the panel after some of the U20's were brought in.
Actually, does anyone have the list of changes to the Galway championship panel? Reported that Gallagher departed and St. James' tweeted about Sam O'Neill's inclusion, any other information?

Olly

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 15, 2023, 10:28:06 PM

If the team named starts then Sweeney and Maher can feel hard done by, Sweeney in particular has been really good in both group games to date but McHugh was always going to come straight back in I suppose. They are two great lads to be bringing in from the bench though and reflects some of the improved squad depth this year, Maher made a power of difference after his introduction against Westmeath. The condition of Finnerty is one to watch, only forward on that bench you'd be counting on for scores if changes needed. Burke and Walsh could do with showing up well on Sunday.

Interesting to see Cillian Ó Curraoin comes into the 26, he's not long in the panel after some of the U20's were brought in.
Actually, does anyone have the list of changes to the Galway championship panel? Reported that Gallagher departed and St. James' tweeted about Sam O'Neill's inclusion, any other information?
I don't have the full list of changes but heard Gallagher was dropped alright. There is at least another one or two more of the under 20s in training with them also.
Heard recently that Eoghan Kelly back playing a bit of club - I presume to get him up to speed.
Agreed re Sweeney - he has been one of our most consistent performers this season.
I could see him starting and Burke dropping out yet.
Maher was exceptional when he came on in Mullingar. I like the idea of having him to bring on this weekend in the same way as that day though.
Pj certainly not afraid to shake up the 26 anyway which is good to see. Keeps lads on their toes I guess.

Manning18

For all that Maher was brilliant when he came on the last day and Sweeneys had a very good year, I struggle to see who you'd replace for them.

Hernon maybe, but given that this will in all likelihood be our least important game to come, it makes sense to continue the experiment after a good showing. I don't think we're at the stage where Conroy doesn't start yet, especially in provincial grounds, or a game like this where game management and a few clear brains (given score difference) will be important. Burke is the only other option and it would cause a reshuffle, and leave us light a man inside given Walsh drops so deep. 

With those two and Finnerty, I think we've 18 players now and we can introduce anyone at any stage and not weaken the whole. It's nice to think we can potentially finish a game with as strong a team as starts, as was the case with the last two All Ireland winners. It's a big change from last year at least. If we manage to get Molloy back to an impact sub role, that becomes 19 with some specific role players (Fitz, Mulkerrin, Tomo) you wouldn't be too afraid to throw in

GalwayBayBoy

Was always surprised that Gallagher didn't get more chances. Always thought he looked useful off the bench at least. Was a strong runner and could take a score. Played regularly during the first half of last year's league but wasn't used much after that. Wasn't even getting off the bench this year and then disappeared from the bench altogether. Not surprise I guess that he was either dropped off or left the panel. But I thought there was a player there. As a bench option at least.

Duine Eile

Gallagher gone-attitude was not what was expected by management according to rumours, Ryan Monaghan from Oughterard gone too, I think I saw he's gone to America for the summer and Nathan Grainger from Claregalway was a 3rd one I heard that just stepped away. 

seafoid

There was nobody on the bench for the last 25 minutes of the all Ireland final last year.
After 47 minutes Galway led by 2 points, 0-14 to 0-12. Kerry scored 8 points to Galway's 2 from then on.
Rectifying that has been the work of the year so far. There has been a lot of progress.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Back door Gaa podcast has Liam O Conghaile as one of the u20s called in also.
He was injured for the Connacht u20 c'ship.
Saw him earlier this year and he looked good.

statto

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 15, 2023, 10:02:52 PM

Higgins selected is a strange one for Armagh not much football all year, presume he is in to match up Comer physically.  McCambridge omitted again held Walsh scoreless from play in the league game would have expected him to start ahead of Paddy Burns. No real complaints from midfield up Comiskey has been a good impact player.  Armagh will need big games from the full forward line I feel and Grugan to play well. 

seafoid

Quote from: statto on June 16, 2023, 10:10:00 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 15, 2023, 10:02:52 PM

Higgins selected is a strange one for Armagh not much football all year, presume he is in to match up Comer physically.  McCambridge omitted again held Walsh scoreless from play in the league game would have expected him to start ahead of Paddy Burns. No real complaints from midfield up Comiskey has been a good impact player.  Armagh will need big games from the full forward line I feel and Grugan to play well.
The names in Irish are interesting. Coilleach Eanach is hard to link to Cullyhanna, which is nonsense
Droimeann Ti is easy
Cill Sleibhe is interesting . Did they drop the s to get Killeavy?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Coilleach Eanna presumably sounded like Kwulla Anna in the Gaeilge of South Armagh.
Perhaps it should be Cill Shléibhe?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rrhf

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 15, 2023, 10:13:22 PM
There was no knee drop.
and trump and Johnson were innocent as well. Totally unfair this world...