Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 13, 2023, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 13, 2023, 04:32:59 PM
I've decided to wait on Killarney for next weekend rather than go to Leitrim this weekend. What a shitty ground and venue for such a game, the low crowd and slow uptake in tickets says it all. Was not a game for Croker either as it would only have been 1/3 full...possible double header with 50-60k but the ideal ground would have been Brefni Pk or Tullamore etc. Anyway I expect Armagh to put up another gallant performance but still lose and play Kerry the following weekend which will probably be the end of their season (hope i'm wrong on both). This format is crap and fully expect change next year...The dates are a load of bollix...The Inter County season to be over by the end of July is shocking...
Armagh could top the group yet sure.

Get your money on now.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2023, 04:55:07 PM
I've decided to wait on Killarney for next weekend rather than go to Leitrim this weekend. What a shitty ground and venue for such a game, the low crowd and slow uptake in tickets says it all. Was not a game for Croker either as it would only have been 1/3 full...possible double header with 50-60k but the ideal ground would have been Brefni Pk or Tullamore etc. Anyway I expect Armagh to put up another gallant performance but still lose and play Kerry the following weekend which will probably be the end of their season (hope i'm wrong on both). This format is crap and fully expect change next year...The dates are a load of bollix...The Inter County season to be over by the end of July is shocking...

Why do you say that? The vast majority of players are club players and they deserve a decent, proper structured season. We need to give it another year or 2 but the split season looks good so far. The games coming thick and fast is brilliant and means the season isn't stretched out for no reason.

+1👍
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2023, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2023, 04:55:07 PM

Why do you say that? The vast majority of players are club players and they deserve a decent, proper structured season. We need to give it another year or 2 but the split season looks good so far. The games coming thick and fast is brilliant and means the season isn't stretched out for no reason.

+1👍

The problem isn't the length of the county season. From January to July is 7 full months. The issue is the format with far too many warm up and meaningless games. We're now 6 months into the season and for the big team's there hasn't been one really important match yet that will have significant impact on whether there season is deemed successful. It'll all come down to the knockout stages from the last 12 on. The system needs changed.

The provincial championship needs played first ending no later than St Patrick's day. The winners should be guaranteed some kind of entry to the later stages of the championship if don't do well in the league. The league's should then be played - personally I think 3 divisions of around 11 teams would work best. Winners should be league champions. Around 7 teams should qualify from top division for the All Ireland play off stages and the division 2 (intermediate) and division 3 champions. Places determining what stage you enter the play off rounds.

One issue with the early finish to the county season and important club games during the summer that was never considered was the lack of availability of so many good players due to transfers to America.

Cunny Funt

I've decided to wait on Killarney for next weekend rather than go to Leitrim this weekend. What a shitty ground and venue for such a game, the low crowd and slow uptake in tickets says it all.

It's no Killarney but harsh on poor old Páirc Seán.  Think it's venue with a lot of character and provides a good atmosphere when a decent crowd attends. Carrick On Shannon a lively spot for a championship game and picturesque along the Shannon.

Redhand Santa

I've still yet to see anyone from Armagh come up with a proper issue with the ground. Given it hasn't sold out there obviously wasn't a major issue with capacity. It's fairly central between both counties so no issue there. It's a decent ground which hosted an all Ireland u20 final last year.

It still seems like Armagh wanted it played close to home and over estimated their loyal support.

armaghniac

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 13, 2023, 09:32:47 PM
I've still yet to see anyone from Armagh come up with a proper issue with the ground. Given it hasn't sold out there obviously wasn't a major issue with capacity. It's fairly central between both counties so no issue there. It's a decent ground which hosted an all Ireland u20 final last year.

It still seems like Armagh wanted it played close to home and over estimated their loyal support.

It is 40 mins from the nearest point in Galway and 1 Hour 40 from the nearest point in Armagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2023, 10:04:47 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 13, 2023, 09:32:47 PM

It is 40 mins from the nearest point in Galway and 1 Hour 40 from the nearest point in Armagh.

Stop. Just stop.

David McKeown

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 13, 2023, 04:38:19 PM
Rian O'Neill's appeal against his red card is taking place this evening.

That's not what I understand
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Duine Eile

Quote from: David McKeown on June 13, 2023, 11:43:08 PM

That's what was reported on local radio here in Galway today and numerous other news outlets.

From the BBC:

Armagh will on Tuesday evening attempt to overturn Rian O'Neill's one-match ban for his red card in the All-Ireland SFC contest against Tyrone.

As it stands, O'Neill must serve a one-match suspension which will rule him out of Sunday's crucial concluding Group Two game against Galway.

However O'Neill is contesting the red card and that will be adjudicated on by the GAA's Central Hearings Committee.

O'Neill was sent off in the first half in Omagh by referee Martin McNally.

The Crossmaglen man's knee appeared to make contact with the head of Cormac Quinn but manager Kieran McGeeney said after the game that O'Neill insisted the Tyrone half-back had "pulled him down by the jersey".

Armagh go into Sunday's final series of round-robin games in third spot in Group Two and on course to at least earn a preliminary quarter-finals spot.

However if McGeeney's side were to lose in Carrick-on-Shannon against the table toppers and Westmeath shock Tyrone at Kingspan Breffni, it could see the Orchard men exiting the All-Ireland Championship on scoring difference.

Tyrone and Armagh both have a current score difference of -1 with Westmeath on -9.

The championship meeting between Galway and Armagh last summer saw the sides fight out an epic All-Ireland quarter-final which included a mass brawl at full-time in normal time before the Tribesmen clinched victory in a dramatic penalty shootout.

David McKeown

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 14, 2023, 12:13:09 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 13, 2023, 11:43:08 PM

That's what was reported on local radio here in Galway today and numerous other news outlets.

From the BBC:

Armagh will on Tuesday evening attempt to overturn Rian O'Neill's one-match ban for his red card in the All-Ireland SFC contest against Tyrone.

As it stands, O'Neill must serve a one-match suspension which will rule him out of Sunday's crucial concluding Group Two game against Galway.

However O'Neill is contesting the red card and that will be adjudicated on by the GAA's Central Hearings Committee.

O'Neill was sent off in the first half in Omagh by referee Martin McNally.

The Crossmaglen man's knee appeared to make contact with the head of Cormac Quinn but manager Kieran McGeeney said after the game that O'Neill insisted the Tyrone half-back had "pulled him down by the jersey".

Armagh go into Sunday's final series of round-robin games in third spot in Group Two and on course to at least earn a preliminary quarter-finals spot.

However if McGeeney's side were to lose in Carrick-on-Shannon against the table toppers and Westmeath shock Tyrone at Kingspan Breffni, it could see the Orchard men exiting the All-Ireland Championship on scoring difference.

Tyrone and Armagh both have a current score difference of -1 with Westmeath on -9.

The championship meeting between Galway and Armagh last summer saw the sides fight out an epic All-Ireland quarter-final which included a mass brawl at full-time in normal time before the Tribesmen clinched victory in a dramatic penalty shootout.

Yeah I understand it has been moved to tomorrow night

Wildweasel74

Some nerve to try overturn that. Everything is appealed these days. GAA top staff need grow some balls and update the rulebook. Gough said they don't want to know. Need bring in a rule unsuccessful appeals are doubled.

David McKeown

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 14, 2023, 12:38:41 AM
Some nerve to try overturn that. Everything is appealed these days. GAA top staff need grow some balls and update the rulebook. Gough said they don't want to know. Need bring in a rule unsuccessful appeals are doubled.

I still dont think the reason he was sent off was a sending off offence.  No point going round the houses but I definitely don't think it was as clear a red as is being suggested

tonto1888

I disagree with your last line but agree something needs to be done about appeals. In soccer if you appeal and the FA deem it a frivolous appeal they can increase the ban. Maybe something like that

David McKeown

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 14, 2023, 08:00:07 AM

I disagree with your last line but agree something needs to be done about appeals. In soccer if you appeal and the FA deem it a frivolous appeal they can increase the ban. Maybe something like that

We in effect have that.  Suspensions can increase on appeal so clubs and county boards usually aren't just taking a punt

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 14, 2023, 08:00:07 AM

I hope O'Neill gets off on appeal and something comes to a head on this but it's unlikely it will.

Galway hurlers made a ridiculous appeal for Cianan Fahy to avoid a suspension last year for a stamp that was missed by the ref and it was successful, no county is immune from this. No one, bar John Mullane many moons ago, seems to be of a mind to take a suspension for blatant wrong doing. Appeals should be reserved for instances where players have clearly been done a disservice or where some other mistake has been made, I wouldn't class the red O'Neill got as either. I don't see the culture changing on this unfortunately.