NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Maybe Comer should watch the Anthony Molloy Laochra Gael show.  Different times back then, constant knee pain and regular injections before and after games.  Not healthy in fairness

twohands!!!

Quote from: Eire90 on March 29, 2023, 09:46:11 PM
it did seem he did not know how seeding worked or he thinks its not that important

Quote"The way the whole season is crammed in now it looks like this is the beginning of the end of the Ulster championship the way it's all going," he said.

"We will be going out to try and compete to win every match but we are under no illusion – our main priority is the super 16s. That's when the real football starts."

"There is no incentive now to go and win an Ulster championship," he insisted.

McKeever doesn't seem to have even a basic understanding of the new structure. Pretty much exposed himself as clueless.

Say Armagh did win Ulster this year - that would mean that they would definitely avoid all of the other provincial winners in the group stages which would surely increase their changes of getting past the group stages.

Even getting to an Ulster final would mean they would avoid all of the other provincial runners-up (which is probably not as great a benefit as it would be in other years because of the Connacht draw but most years a 2nd place seeding would mean avoiding one of Mayo/Galway/Roscommon)

By comparison as a 3rd or 4th seed Armagh would be guaranteed to play at least one provincial winner and one provincial loser in the group stages.

Also there is no protection for them to avoid any Ulster teams in the group stages if they end up as 3rd or 4th seed - the only protection/restriction is that the provincial winner and the provincial loser can't be drawn in the same group.

That's before you even consider the advantage the 1st and 2nd seeds have as regards their fixtures.

With all the effort it took to get the new structure accross the line, I don't see any significant changes being made for a good few years so I think that the Ulster championship is here to stay for a good few years yet, even though in time the Ulster counties are bound to be giving out about how it is harder for them to win an All-Ireland. I wonder will any of the county officials look back and realise that voting against the Green proposal effectively brought this on themselves.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 30, 2023, 01:44:56 PM
it did seem he did not know how seeding worked or he thinks its not that important

Quote"The way the whole season is crammed in now it looks like this is the beginning of the end of the Ulster championship the way it's all going," he said.

"We will be going out to try and compete to win every match but we are under no illusion – our main priority is the super 16s. That's when the real football starts."

McKeever doesn't seem to have even a basic understanding of the new structure. Pretty much exposed himself as clueless.

Say Armagh did win Ulster this year - that would mean that they would definitely avoid all of the other provincial winners in the group stages which would surely increase their changes of getting past the group stages.

Even getting to an Ulster final would mean they would avoid all of the other provincial runners-up (which is probably not as great a benefit as it would be in other years because of the Connacht draw but most years a 2nd place seeding would mean avoiding one of Mayo/Galway/Roscommon)

By comparison as a 3rd or 4th seed Armagh would be guaranteed to play at least one provincial winner and one provincial loser in the group stages.

Also there is no protection for them to avoid any Ulster teams in the group stages if they end up as 3rd or 4th seed - the only protection/restriction is that the provincial winner and the provincial loser can't be drawn in the same group.

That's before you even consider the advantage the 1st and 2nd seeds have as regards their fixtures.

With all the effort it took to get the new structure accross the line, I don't see any significant changes being made for a good few years so I think that the Ulster championship is here to stay for a good few years yet, even though in time the Ulster counties are bound to be giving out about how it is harder for them to win an All-Ireland. I wonder will any of the county officials look back and realise that voting against the Green proposal effectively brought this on themselves.

Can understand some supporters left confused about the new format and no doubt that will be case when it gets underway but I find it remarkable that someone involved with a inter county team like McKeever has a lack of research done.

As for County officials bringing it on themselves, a change was going to happen regardless and was the other options any better than what is starting this May?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 30, 2023, 01:44:56 PM

Armagh are top 8 so would be expected to make the qfs

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

I don't know that it will mean that much to Dublin or Kerry. Ulster or Connacht yes.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2023, 06:02:33 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2023, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2023, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 28, 2023, 12:52:10 PM
Attitude in the widest possible sense, league should have been targeted as very very winnable.

I don't think it wasn't that we didn't target it, we just fell short due to negative unsuitable tactics, an inability to close games out and injuries to some key players. Donaghy even said as much after the Galway match when he said that they'd hoped to be in a position travelling to Omagh knowing that a win there would guarantee them a League final. The Galway result ended that aspiration though. The margins were very fine but it was a missed opportunity nonetheless. I don't think Armagh will win an All Ireland but could have won a League title.
Unfortunately Armagh are some way short of being serious contenders at the moment. Last years run has maybe given us false hope. There are different opinions on the reasons for this. There is probably enough talent, not withstanding the age of forker, soupy and some others. perhaps a different voice is needed?

Serious contenders for Sam? Yes, probably. I would say that Kerry are out in front and after that only Galway, Dublin and possibly Mayo (though the jury is still out on them) can win it. A bit behind that you have Tyrone, Derry, ourselves and Roscommon all of whom could reach a semi final depending on the draw. However we can realistically still hope to win an Ulster title.

Like the recent claim on here that Armagh could arguably claim to be a top four team this suggests that some supporters are overrating the team. Tyrone were terrible last year but since most of this side broke through they have won 1 All Ireland, reached another AI final, several AI semi finals, won 3 Ulsters and been a fixture in Division 1. They have work to do to show they can bounce back from the mess of 2022 - and league was very patchy - but as it stands they still have a strong record of achievement behind them. They have also won their last three games against the side you say are way out in front. If Tyrone can find some momentum they will fancy themselves against anyone. Armagh at this stage haven't got near winning Ulster, haven't gone past the AI quarters and haven't yet been able to establish themselves in Division 1. It's just not comparable. Similarly Derry have a provincial title, have gone further in the AI and at this stage have backed up a good season in 2022, even if they were in Division 2. Armagh might well kick on with a good summer and I'd expect them to bounce back in the league, but your assessment of their current position doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 30, 2023, 09:38:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2023, 06:02:33 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2023, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2023, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 28, 2023, 12:52:10 PM
Attitude in the widest possible sense, league should have been targeted as very very winnable.

I don't think it wasn't that we didn't target it, we just fell short due to negative unsuitable tactics, an inability to close games out and injuries to some key players. Donaghy even said as much after the Galway match when he said that they'd hoped to be in a position travelling to Omagh knowing that a win there would guarantee them a League final. The Galway result ended that aspiration though. The margins were very fine but it was a missed opportunity nonetheless. I don't think Armagh will win an All Ireland but could have won a League title.
Unfortunately Armagh are some way short of being serious contenders at the moment. Last years run has maybe given us false hope. There are different opinions on the reasons for this. There is probably enough talent, not withstanding the age of forker, soupy and some others. perhaps a different voice is needed?

Serious contenders for Sam? Yes, probably. I would say that Kerry are out in front and after that only Galway, Dublin and possibly Mayo (though the jury is still out on them) can win it. A bit behind that you have Tyrone, Derry, ourselves and Roscommon all of whom could reach a semi final depending on the draw. However we can realistically still hope to win an Ulster title.

Like the recent claim on here that Armagh could arguably claim to be a top four team this suggests that some supporters are overrating the team. Tyrone were terrible last year but since most of this side broke through they have won 1 All Ireland, reached another AI final, several AI semi finals, won 3 Ulsters and been a fixture in Division 1. They have work to do to show they can bounce back from the mess of 2022 - and league was very patchy - but as it stands they still have a strong record of achievement behind them. They have also won their last three games against the side you say are way out in front. If Tyrone can find some momentum they will fancy themselves against anyone. Armagh at this stage haven't got near winning Ulster, haven't gone past the AI quarters and haven't yet been able to establish themselves in Division 1. It's just not comparable. Similarly Derry have a provincial title, have gone further in the AI and at this stage have backed up a good season in 2022, even if they were in Division 2. Armagh might well kick on with a good summer and I'd expect them to bounce back in the league, but your assessment of their current position doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
Unfortunately Armagh are not credible contenders for Sam, unless by some miracle they find something approaching last years form. Even at that there is still just something missing in terms of the quality of the team as a whole.

Rossfan

Rhubarbs and Herrins very quiet about th'oul League Final.
Is there any bit of  interest at all?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2023, 11:41:26 AM

There's as much interest as there was in the '20 and '21 finals. They were memorable and showed how much interest the GAA had in a League final when there was no money to be made!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2023, 12:01:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2023, 11:41:26 AM

There's as much interest as there was in the '20 and '21 finals. They were memorable and showed how much interest the GAA had in a League final when there was no money to be made!

HQ GAA showed their interest further when they recommended to congress to scrap league finals and such calls was ignored.  Next year those finals or pre season competitions will have to be scrapped if every team are to get at least two weeks training and preparation for the start of the championship. 

seafoid

Mayo must be focusing on the Roscommon match. Galway should  have the full forward line in working order.

Blowitupref

Mayo have named the same starting 15 that beat Donegal 1-17 to 0-9 in round 6 and just 5 that started against Monaghan in round 7.

Colm Reape
Jack Coyne, David McBrien, Sam Callinan
Stephen Coen, Conor Loftus, Paddy Durcan
Matthew Ruane, Diarmuid O'Connor
Fionn McDonagh, Jack Carney, Jordan Flynn
Aidan O'Shea, James Carr, Ryan O'Donoghue.

Galway team

Conor Gleeson
Johnny McGrath Sean Kelly Sean Fitzgerald
Dylan McHugh  John Daly Cian Hernon
Paul Conroy  John Maher
Matthew Tierney Johnny Heaney Peter Cooke
Rob Finnerty Shane Walsh  Cathal Sweeney
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Duine Eile

Gleeson back in goal, expect plenty of high balls in and extreme pressure on the keeper then.  ::)

WhoDat

i expect a couple of changes to galway there. goalkeeper anyway will be swapped.