GPA answer critics as they turn back on professionalism

Started by Zulu, November 06, 2010, 02:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Taken from today's independent;

ANY lingering fears that the Gaelic Players Association (GPA) harbour a secret desire to turn Gaelic games professional were firmly laid to rest at their AGM yesterday, when they introduced a strong amateur clause into their constitution.

A proposal from the GPA's national executive was passed that stresses: "The GPA is committed to the maintenance and protection of the amateur status of the Gaelic Athletic Association and the pursuit by the GPA of its objectives shall at all times be subject to that commitment."

This significant move vindicates the GAA's decision earlier this year to enter an interim agreement to recognise the GPA as the players' official representative body, a long-term version of which CEO Dessie Farrell said was expected to be concluded before the New Year.

He told his members yesterday that 2010 "will be remembered as the year when suspicion was replaced by trust, when conflict was replaced by consensus, when animosity was replaced by agreement and when division was replaced with unity."

The players also called upon the government and Sports Council to maintain the player grants scheme -- which was reduced by 70 pc this season -- and intend to make public a study next week claiming that the performances of inter-county players contribute €200m to the economy annually.

The players stated their support "for the introduction of video technology in senior inter-county matches where venues can accommodate same" and proposed that match time-keeping "becomes the responsibility of a designated time-keeper other than the match referee."

Dara O hAnnaidh (Wicklow) stepped down as secretary and was replaced by Kildare's Ronan Sweeney, but Offaly's Brian Whelahan and Cork's Donal Og Cusack were returned as president and chairman respectively.

- Cliona Foley

Irish Independent

Rossfan

How long before the usual suspects arrive here telling us it's only a tactic so people will stop being suspicious of them  until the time comes etc etc yawnnnnnnn
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theskull1

It's only a tactic so people will stop being suspicious of them until the time comes etc etc

Wake up will ya
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

longrunsthefox

That was their aspiration and is certainly a very two tier system county V club player. I think in the current climate they know they haven't a hope of being professional tho Sean Og was very clear about the need to turn pro. Still a £25,000 car ain't bad, the annual 'grant' and the world revolving around county football ain't bad.

haranguerer

The GPA is a balls of an organisation which has no real bearing on what direction the GAA takes imho.

The professionalism issue is a seperate one  - I fail to see the relevance of the GPA backing amateur status.

For what its worth, I dont care whether GAA becomes professional in one sense or another, I do think that the natural progression is that it will become professional, and if it does, this will indisputably be to the benfit of the game itself.

longrunsthefox

The GPA is a totally elitist organisation increasing the distance between clubs and counties. Clubs have no rights these days and needs to be a Club Association to reclaim that. So many examples of were clubs rights are trampled on. In Tyrone clubs are treated like cash cows by the county board.

theskull1

Quote from: haranguerer on November 07, 2010, 09:19:39 AM
For what its worth, I dont care whether GAA becomes professional in one sense or another, I do think that the natural progression is that it will become professional, and if it does, this will indisputably be to the benfit of the game itself.

There's obviously no point in arguing with that  :D

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2010, 03:42:20 PM
How long before the usual suspects arrive here telling us it's only a tactic so people will stop being suspicious of them  until the time comes etc etc yawnnnnnnn

I see the usual suspect is out of the  traps fast with his ususal suspects guff!!

theskull1

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

haranguerer

Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2010, 12:21:15 PM

:D

By the game itself, I mean the skills etc. While the effect on the GAA as an organisation is less clear, I do think it is indisputable that professionalism would benefit the game itself...

fearglasmor

Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2010, 11:05:03 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2010, 12:21:15 PM

By the game itself, I mean the skills etc. While the effect on the GAA as an organisation is less clear, I do think it is indisputable that professionalism would benefit the game itself...

The problem being that you cant seperate "the game" from "the organisation". The club, county and organisation structure are inextricably linked because unlike rugby or soccer The GAA is a sporting, social and cultural organisation. Or at least it used to be. The GPA, ably abetted by the GAAs senior management have been successfully chipping away at the link between club and county.
But on the original post, it is a good thing that the GPA have enshrined the amateur ethos in their constitution.
That said, as Rossfan correctly alluded to, constitutions can be amended at any suitable time.

lynchbhoy

read this in the papers over the weekend and I applaud the GPA for at last seeing sense and realising that we dont have an economy that can support professional payment to players.
Whatever motives may or may not bubble up in the future, right now this is welcome news.

I would like to see GPA and GAA work towards some kind of funding for players injured through football and losing wages, plus also for families who may even lose a breadwinner through serious injury or even worse - an accidental injury while playing/training - these families should be looked after as much as possible. Club players not just intercounty !
For me this is the area where we dont really have enough cover right now , and for the GAA to retain its amateur and social aspect, we need policy , procedure and monies set aside towards this !

Zapatista

2010 "will be remembered as the year when suspicion was replaced by trust, when conflict was replaced by consensus, when animosity was replaced by agreement and when division was replaced with unity."

He must think the GPA caused nothing but division up untill now ::)