Barney Eastwood launches his autobiography

Started by longrunsthefox, March 25, 2010, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

I see Barney Eastwood has launched his autobiography.. 'Hooked on the Jab'
he would have some story to tell.
Looks like Barry McGuigan didn't make the launch...

Boxers say thank you very much, Mr Eastwood

Boxers from many different generations united yesterday to pay a warm tribute to boxing legend Barney Eastwood.
The occasion in the plush surrounds of the Europa Hotel was the launch of the BJ Eastwood Story by Denis O'Hara.
There was also a strong GAA flavour with Eastwood's lifelong friends John Joe O'Hagan and Patsy Forbes at the top table with Frank and Brian McGuigan and Owen Mulligan close by. Eastwood was on Tyrone All Irealnd minor winning team of 1947.
Current European champions Brian Magee and Paul McCloskey represented the current generation of Irish boxing while a special ovation was reserved for two revered old timers, Peter Sharpe and Henry Turkington.
And there among the not-so-old timers were Dave Boy McAuley, Hugh Russell and Roy Webb with no tell-tale signs of years spent in the hardest and cruellest sport of all.
Eastwood, looking totally relaxed among friends, talked at length of his time in the sport — good and bad times alike — and at his joy at how boxing, during the many years of the Troubles, was a great unifying force.
And he also revealed what attracted him to boxing in the first place when he was still a young boy growing up in Cookstown.
"The American Army was stationed in Cookstown in the 40s," he said.
"I was only a child at the time and I used to run messages for them.
"They always had their own boxing tournaments and they would always organise a special one for the schoolchildren and that was my first involvement.
"I always had a love for boxing and had there been a proper gym in Cookstown at the time I would have combined the boxing and the football."

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Shamrock Shore

Were there politicians doing any early canvassing?

orangeman

There'll be some ducking and diving there and I'm sure he'll just roll with the punches.

He was a real heavyweight promoter.

He was never one for gthrowing in the towel.

He could fight his own corner.

Bogball XV

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 25, 2010, 01:04:52 PMFrank and Brian McGuigan and Owen Mulligan close by.
Was there not another McGuigan who shoulda been there?