The GAA is inherently Sexist

Started by DuffleKing, March 28, 2017, 10:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

A couple of threads - most recently Dinny's - have refreshed my mind with something that really bothers me about the Association.
The fact that the GAA does not entirely support and administrate all versions of our games is a layover from a bygone age but that the approach remains and we tolerate our daughters, sisters, etc being treated as second class citizens is a scandal and an indictment on all of us who continue to accept the status quo and the neglect of potentially 50% of our membership.

QuoteMission

"The GAA is a community based volunteer organisation promoting Gaelic Games, culture and lifelong participation."

The GAA is a volunteer organisation. We develop and promote Gaelic Games at the core of Irish identity and culture. We are dedicated to ensuring that our family of games, and the values we live, enrich the lives of our members, families and the communities we serve. We are committed to active lifelong participation for all and to providing the best facilities. We reach out to and include all members of our society. We promote individual development and well-being and strive to enable all of our members to achieve their full potential in their chosen roles.

Vision

Our vision is that everybody has the opportunity to be welcomed to take part in our games and culture, to participate fully, to grow and develop and to be inspired to keep a lifelong engagement with our Association.

AZOffaly

This does my tits in. It is the ladies associations THEMSELVES that want to remain outside the GAA.

It really pisses me off when people make comments like 'The GAA don't let the ladies use Croker on blah blah, or whatever'. The GAA does not make LGFA or Camogie Fixtures, they do not organise the tournaments or run the associations. It's like blaming the GAA for treating the womens soccer team poorly.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2017, 11:03:08 AM
This does my tits in. It is the ladies associations THEMSELVES that want to remain outside the GAA.

It really pisses me off when people make comments like 'The GAA don't let the ladies use Croker on blah blah, or whatever'. The GAA does not make LGFA or Camogie Fixtures, they do not organise the tournaments or run the associations. It's like blaming the GAA for treating the womens soccer team poorly.

+1

DuffleKing

We don't AZ but we should. This status should never have occurred originally but that it remains is ridiculous. I appreciate that the LGFA in particular have dragged their feet on integration but it needs sorted.

It does my tits in sending sons and daughters to vastly different environments for the gaelic games activities.

AZOffaly

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 28, 2017, 11:09:01 AM
We don't AZ but we should. This status should never have occurred originally but that it remains is ridiculous. I appreciate that the LGFA in particular have dragged their feet on integration but it needs sorted.

It does my tits in sending sons and daughters to vastly different environments for the gaelic games activities.

We should?? We should TELL the women "Sorry ladies, we're going to run this for ye?". Do you not think the women themselves should have some say in who runs their affairs? And as it stands, they are relatively happy to co-exist, rather than be subsumed into the GAA.

So the GAA is NOT sexist. If it were sexist, the Camogie and LGFA would receive a lot less co-operation than they do. And I know the GAA would like to bring both associations more into the fold.

DuffleKing

The other associations are not all "ladies". Common mistake until you examine the administrators and decision makers.

We should not "tell" anyone anything but it is incumbent upon us (The GAA) to take a lead on making this step. That Ladies Football and Camogie had to initiate their bodies to provide games (none were provided by the GAA) indicates a deep sexism that I believe we are obliged to address. Otherwise we are akin to the British when they say "Yea but N Ireland is historically separate from the Republic"

AZOffaly

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 28, 2017, 11:30:48 AM

The other associations are not all "ladies". Common mistake until you examine the administrators and decision makers.

We should not "tell" anyone anything but it is incumbent upon us (The GAA) to take a lead on making this step. That Ladies Football and Camogie had to initiate their bodies to provide games (none were provided by the GAA) indicates a deep sexism that I believe we are obliged to address. Otherwise we are akin to the British when they say "Yea but N Ireland is historically separate from the Republic"

You are way off base here. The GAA has made overtures to the ladies associations. They have been listened to, and those associations themselves will decide if and when they will apply to join the GAA. You are making something out of nothing here, and holding the GAA to account for something that is not within its gift to go any further with.

There's a load of things you can beat the GAA up about. This is not one of them.

DuffleKing

I can if I want  :P

Looking narrowly at the environment that our sons and daughters play our games in it is very frustrating and certainly does not reflect my view of an inclusive community association.

You can argue that remedying the situation is not straight forward but the evolution of separate bodies for female sports is entirely the fault of the GAA.

Jinxy

I can't stand sexism.
The GAA should look after both genders.
And if the women don't want this, who cares?
They should do what they're told.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2017, 12:02:58 PM
I can't stand sexism.
The GAA should look after both genders.
And if the women don't want this, who cares?
They should do what they're told.

:)

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2017, 11:03:08 AM

Well said, it is a bit sad when someone on a GAA discussion board starts this type of thread.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Now listen very carefully because this bears repeating.

Camogie and Ladies' football are not governed by the GAA.

Capiche?

DuffleKing

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 28, 2017, 06:45:09 PM

Capiche?

Are you not grasping that this is my point or are you being ironic?

How does it sit so comfortably with everyone that the association has created an environment where female gaels who wish to play out games were not and still aren't accommodated within the GAA.

Our very own partition

shark

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 28, 2017, 07:28:59 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 28, 2017, 06:45:09 PM

Capiche?

Are you not grasping that this is my point or are you being ironic?

How does it sit so comfortably with everyone that the association has created an environment where female gaels who wish to play out games were not and still aren't accommodated within the GAA.

Our very own partition

Having just read this thread, I sense that you're just trolling now, as you've been given an adequate answer to your question. In the event that you haven't bothered reading any of the replies above, then read this.

https://www.google.ie/amp/amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hernon-gaa-merger-would-swallow-us-up-253971.html

DuffleKing

You are pointing to the fact that the Galway ladies secretary is an amadan that eloquently outlines the case against her own position as some sort of support for this continued partition? You are aware, surely, that the more enlightened Clare Chairman and Anna Geary directly contradict this position in the same article?