Galway v Tipperary AIQF 31/07/16

Started by Duine Eile, July 25, 2016, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Will Tipp take big support to the semi final? Are there many dual clubs in the county or is a them and  us attitude between the footballers and hurling?

Mclf

Quote from: tippabu on August 01, 2016, 09:56:55 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on August 01, 2016, 08:52:46 PM
Thank you Tipp and Galway for reminding me that Gaelic Football can be an enjoyable game to watch.  Probably the most enjoyable and open game this year - It would be great if other teams took a page out of Tipps book and just played football instead of the blanket garbage....

The derry match would probably go down as a better match in terms of eveness and drama......this isnt me getting carried away but we completely blew galway away yesterday. It was the type of performance dublin give while brushing teams aside only we werent anywhere near as clinical and didnt have our shooting boots on, without exaggerating we could really have scored 6-20+.......im obviously not stupid enough to be comparing ourselves to dublin in terms of quality and it was as much down to galway but we were brilliant yesterday from 1 to 15. Our kickouts were absolutely spot on, thats something thats really had to been worked on all this year, evan always has had a big boot but the accuracy yesterday was pin point apart from maybe one kickout. Mayo or tyrone wont allow us the same time on the ball (over 60% possession) and we certainly wont run through them at will like we did to galway, confidence is sky high at the minute, it will be very interesting to see if we can raise our game against a team who bring a much higher level of intensity

Cracking result for ye yesterday Tippabu, was delighted for ye, congrats.

sligoman2

Thank you Tipp and Galway for reminding me that Gaelic Football can be an enjoyable game to watch.  Probably the most enjoyable and open game this year - It would be great if other teams took a page out of Tipps book and just played football instead of the blanket garbage....

The derry match would probably go down as a better match in terms of eveness and drama......this isnt me getting carried away but we completely blew galway away yesterday. It was the type of performance dublin give while brushing teams aside only we werent anywhere near as clinical and didnt have our shooting boots on, without exaggerating we could really have scored 6-20+.......im obviously not stupid enough to be comparing ourselves to dublin in terms of quality and it was as much down to galway but we were brilliant yesterday from 1 to 15. Our kickouts were absolutely spot on, thats something thats really had to been worked on all this year, evan always has had a big boot but the accuracy yesterday was pin point apart from maybe one kickout. Mayo or tyrone wont allow us the same time on the ball (over 60% possession) and we certainly wont run through them at will like we did to galway, confidence is sky high at the minute, it will be very interesting to see if we can raise our game against a team who bring a much higher level of intensity

Agree the Derry game had more eveness and had a dramatic finish, but it was great to see 2 teams playing open football (especially Tipp) and not witnessing 14 defenders every time the opposition got the ball.  Very disappointing performance from Galway but they ran into a in form Tipp team that really had them on the ropes from an early stage.  Good luck in the semi-final, I think everyone in the country (except for Mayo or Tyrone) will be rooting for ye in the semi-final.  I'm certainly not looking forward to meeting ye in Div 3 next year....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Main Street

Considering  the prize on Sunday was the AI semi final ,  i wouldn't give a damn about which game  v Derry or v Galway  hit the the quality  or entertainment values.
The difference between reaching the 1/4 final and 1/2 final is huge. Beating Derry in an exciting  close game is  small fry compared to trouncing   Galway to get into the AI semi final.

imtommygunn

Keepers are one of the most important aspects of the modern game these days. Counties should almost play the most accurate kicker in the county as opposed to best shot stopper etc.

It will be really interesting to see how Tipp do now. They really blew Galway away from 1-15 and have what a lot of counties don't - several scoring forwards. The semi final might be a stretch but you never know. Cork rattled Donegal, Donegal could have beat Tyrone and Tipp beat Cork so on formlines maybe you could read something into that though might be a stretch!(Although Mayo could be there too ! I actually think they might sneak it...) If they go out and express themselves who knows what could happen. On a defensive level I thought they were very impressive. I thought Fox was almost deserving of Motm too.

five points

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2016, 10:27:35 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2016, 09:48:04 AM
Tipperary are 28/1 for to win the AI!

Has there ever been a semi-finalist priced so high. Leitrim in 1994?
Down in 91 would have been a fairly decent price

Not at All Ireland semi-final stage. They were widely tipped to beat a weak Kerry team in that semi-final, for starters.

highorlow

Kevin Walsh should be sacked after that game.

If the apparent tactic was to catch Tipp on the break with swift counter attacks into the Galway marquee forwards then the 1st rule is to defend in numbers.

They simply let Tipp dalley and dance around the 45 with the ball without any pressure placed on Tipp into gaining turnovers. Walsh then just looks on and does nothing apart from subbing a few forwards? Brain dead shit really. Also playing a goalie that's not a club goalie, what is that about?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Duine Eile

Quote from: highorlow on August 02, 2016, 12:38:35 PM
Kevin Walsh should be sacked after that game.

If the apparent tactic was to catch Tipp on the break with swift counter attacks into the Galway marquee forwards then the 1st rule is to defend in numbers.

They simply let Tipp dalley and dance around the 45 with the ball without any pressure placed on Tipp into gaining turnovers. Walsh then just looks on and does nothing apart from subbing a few forwards? Brain dead shit really. Also playing a goalie that's not a club goalie, what is that about?

That was the least of our problems last Sunday! Power was goalie for the Galway Juniors this year so that's where he was spotted so he didn't come from nowhere exactly and he wasn't our worst player by a long shot. Kevin seems unable to make changes in a game that's going against his team, Gary O'Donnell spent most of his day in his own forward line following his man which left a huge hole in the defence, you could argue a player of his experience should have known better, which he should but why wasn't he told? Our lack of quality on the bench really cost us as well, Tom Flynn wasn't at the races at all and we had nobody to bring in, someone like Michael Daly or Ronan Steede could have made a difference there. I can't see too many calling for Kevin's head to be honest but he certainly has questions to answer, none more so than why is it that so many players won't join his panel.

Maroon Manc

Well done Tipp but from a Galway point of view it was a shambles. I haven't seen any highlights or read any reports on the game so not sure what the media have made of it.

Galway took Tipp too lightly and simply didn't look up for it, for as bad as Galway were with the ball they were a hundred times worse without it. I don't know what happened to the Galway who looked organised and defended well in the previous 3 games.

Its a shame it ended like this given at the beginning of the season I didn't think we had a chance of beating Mayo and winning a Connacht title so there are positives to take from the season. There isn't much quality on the bench so hopefully that is rectified over the winter and in next years league and perhaps those who went to the states for the summers will commit for next season.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 03, 2016, 05:42:40 PM
https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/galway-v-tipperary-2016-ai-quarter-final/

Don't Foul's figures from the game

Galway were absolutely blitzed and the 1-01 they scored at the end of the half enabled the HT scoreboard to gloss over just how comprehensively outplayed they were in the first half.

I said more or less the same after the game. It's was a contest Tipp should have won by half time however going by those stats Tipp will have to improve their conversation rate against Tyrone or Mayo next.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

DJGaliv

Well done to Tipp, far and away the better team on the day and fully deserved of their win. They could indeed have won by more.

With some time to contemplate the game and our season on a whole I feel that we aren't as bad as we showed against Tipp, and we're not as good as we looked against Roscommon. We are in the age of defensive structures and when they are as imperfect as ours or Roscommon's and find yourself chasing a game you will just get picked off. Time and again we were opened up. I wouldn't place all this blame on the shoulders of the full back line either. There was an ocean of space in front of Kyne with O'Donnell being dragged out.
Tipp did to us what we did to Roscommon.

I think we got a bit ahead of ourselves, players and supporters alike. We did very well to beat two teams playing football in division one. I think a lot of us thought we were back after our long hiatus, when in fact we are just on the way and remain quite fragile. Losing our league promotion decider to Cavan really was a sickener now, as playing against those teams consistently would help us learn from our mistakes. In saying that we were thrashed by a division three team.

The players and Walsh do deserve to be judged with a cool head. A young enough team with a lot of debutants were found out in Croke park. They'll learn from it, and hopefully we add a few players. My only criticisms would be the sideline didn't appear to have much of a plan B when we were getting roasted in midfield, and players you would expect to lead didn't show. Comer was the only one with a bit of fight about him.

Our kickout strategy had to be limited enough with Power's late inclusion in the panel, so perhaps we can get more from that. I was very impressed with the Tipps keepers kickouts. We had five lads who learned what senior intercounty championship football is for the first time and have won silverware. Having lads now like O'Donnell, Conroy and Bradshaw in their late 20s helps too with experience leading into next season, although it wasn't on show at the weekend.

One last thing with Tipp. Don't write them off in the semi finals just yet, their wins over Cork, Derry and Galway were no fluke.

Maroon Manc

I was very surprised to hear that Galway didn't stay in Dublin the night before a game, that is far from ideal preparation.

mouview

Galway teams mostly don't now anyway; just 2 hours up the motorway. Better to let the players relax in their own surroundings rather than lumping them into a hotel. Hurlers probably need a lower bus tho'!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: mouview on August 19, 2016, 02:44:18 PM
Galway teams mostly don't now anyway; just 2 hours up the motorway. Better to let the players relax in their own surroundings rather than lumping them into a hotel. Hurlers probably need a lower bus tho'!

Really? Considering the footballers record in HQ since 2001 I'd definitely be in favour of them changing their routine. Galway were flat and I'm certain the travelling played some sort of part in this.