2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Would Fenton not be a candidate for player of the year unless Mayo go all the way.

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on September 01, 2016, 09:04:49 AM
Would Fenton not be a candidate for player of the year unless Mayo go all the way.

Probable young player of the year.

StephenC

Not a chance that McHugh will get an all-star. Donegal haven't done enough for him to get one.

Peter Harte will get Tyrone's one.

Fuzzman

I just thought McHugh was very quiet in the second half of the Ulster final and besides his goal in the Dublin game I thought he was quiet enough there too. I wasn't sure about Paul Murphy but yes he did mark Kilkenny well who tends to control a lot of Dublins' attacks.

I chose Rock as he's improved quite a lot from play but his reliability in frees alone is a huge bonus for Dublin and with the tight blanket defences nowadays and lack of scores from play then a reliable free taker is massive.

Hound

I think it's nonsense to say Kilkenny was kept quiet by Murphy. He had the joint most possessions (30, same as Fenton) in the match and did what he always does when in possession - keeps it simple and tries to give it to someone who might make something happen. He only lost possession once as well as kicked one wide. Every other time he found a Dub.

Ignoring the Donegal aberattion, that's a standard very solid contribution from Kilkenny.

No way does Murphy deserve an All Star at half back, given there are so many other strong contenders.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 31, 2016, 07:59:38 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 31, 2016, 07:20:04 PM
How anyone could leave Ryan McHugh out baffles me.

What has Paul Murphy prove against the likes of Tipp and Clare that McHugh didn't against a far superior line of opposition all Championship.

He completely shut down Kilkenny (current 2nd favourite for Player of the Year) the last day and had very solid performances against Tipp and Clare.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Kilkenny gets a lot more joy come the final.

That doesn't meet the criteria.

McHugh has been his side's best player in pretty much every game he has played this year, he has done a lot more than shut down players.

I think it tells you the farce that the All Stars are when McHugh is set to miss out for an All Star for the third year in a row despite his performances meriting oen in each of those years. To think Paul Murphy might win his second All Star and McHugh has none says it all about the waste of time they are.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: StephenC on September 01, 2016, 11:05:04 AM
Not a chance that McHugh will get an all-star. Donegal haven't done enough for him to get one.

Teams shouldn't get All Stars, players should and McHugh has been one of the best 5 players in the Championship this summer.

StephenC

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 01, 2016, 07:54:55 PM

Teams shouldn't get All Stars, players should and McHugh has been one of the best 5 players in the Championship this summer.

I don't disagree. But the reality is that it's very much about team performance.

J70

Quote from: StephenC on September 01, 2016, 08:09:40 PM

I don't disagree. But the reality is that it's very much about team performance.

Except when the player gives extraordinary individual performances e.g. Karl Lacey's All Stars in 2006 and 2009. Donegal only made quarter finals (losing to Cork) in those years too, but Lacey shut down the likes of Paddy Bradley (twice), Daniel Goulding, Michael Meehan, Stevie McDonnell and others along the way.

I remember there were plenty arguing against Lacey meriting awards on the board here based solely on the "team performance" aspect of it.

But, its not completely unprecedented. The likes of Declan Browne comes to mind as well. And don't forget Michael Murphy won young player of the year in 2009.

shark

Quote from: J70 on September 02, 2016, 01:02:04 PM
Quote from: StephenC on September 01, 2016, 08:09:40 PM

Except when the player gives extraordinary individual performances e.g. Karl Lacey's All Stars in 2006 and 2009. Donegal only made quarter finals (losing to Cork) in those years too, but Lacey shut down the likes of Paddy Bradley (twice), Daniel Goulding, Michael Meehan, Stevie McDonnell and others along the way.

I remember there were plenty arguing against Lacey meriting awards on the board here based solely on the "team performance" aspect of it.

But, its not completely unprecedented. The likes of Declan Browne comes to mind as well. And don't forget Michael Murphy won young player of the year in 2009.

Westmeath got 2 in 2008 despite only beating Longford, Offaly and Tipp.

Mclf

Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2016, 08:42:43 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2016, 01:01:48 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2016, 12:30:58 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2016, 11:01:26 PM

Unfortunately Emmet Bolton's petulant kick on Diarmuid O Connor has put paid to O Connor's chances unless he has a mighty final. One of the nastiest incidents of the year. Unpunished and really set back O Connor when he was flying. He gave some of the best performances I ve seen in U21 grade this year.

If he's not fit he shouldn't be on the field and the manager is a proper joker in that case - hence we have to assume he's been fit. Looks more like the lost kid he did in his first two years at senior than the player he looked v Dublin last year. Like his brother consistency from play is an issue and unlike his brother he doesn't have frees to paper over the cracks.

Doesn't deserve an All-Star even if he was MotM in the final imho.

Oh dear. You obviously cannot make a distinction between fit and coming back from injury and getting up to speed and form.
Unfortunately in Mayo we don't have a conveyor belt of forward talent like Roscommon does and we have to go with players that are not quite at their best.

If he's not fit - and fit means being able to play football at a high level not being physically fit - so if you're telling me he wasn't ready to go you've indicted Rochford. There's two options - Rochford is playing players who shouldn't be starting or the player in question is having trouble maintaining form. I thought he had a quiet U21 championship bar the Dublin match too.

We learnt our lessons about playing injured players this year and a lot of people clamouring for the lads not fit enough to start were somehow surprised when the same lads didn't make an impact when thrown on against Clare..

Rochford clearly doesn't know what he is doing,  Sufferus to get the gig in his beloved Mayo next year and take man management and player welfare to a degree that will put Jim Gavin to shame

ballinaman

If Dublin somehow manage to lose to Mayo. Will it be the first time that a losing finalist wins more all stars than the winning team?

5 Sams

Quote from: ballinaman on September 12, 2016, 12:15:12 PM
If Dublin somehow manage to lose to Mayo. Will it be the first time that a losing finalist wins more all stars than the winning team?

Nope. Meath got 6 in 1991 and Down got 4. James McCartan got man of the match in the AIF and didnt get an Allstar.
The Aristocrat Years

blanketattack

Tipp won more than Kk in the 2014 hurling All Stars