2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Tyrone will certainly get one All Star in Harte and if they get another it will be Donnelly not McCarron. I think he had a very good summer but hasn't done enough for All Star given Tyrone were knocked when they were.

I think Comer is unlucky to miss out on an All Star, he was superb all summer but he'll miss out given the nature of the hiding Galway got against Tipp although in fairness Quinlivan & Geaney have both had excellent summers too.

Canalman

The way the game is going it is now hard for an old school solid stopper/ spoiler  of a back to win an allstar. Less of the onus on backs now "to keep their man scoreless" with the semi zonal defence now the norm and a sweeper covering your behind.

Need now to be booming up the pitch now and then imo to be in the running which imo is a pity.

Jinxy

I think Cooper is the most effective 'traditional' corner back in the modern game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on August 30, 2016, 11:07:09 PM

I'd be comfortable to put my mortgage on all 13 being correct

Fill your boots so:

Andy Moran 3/1
Colm Boyle 3/1
David Moran 12/1

Fuzzman

Here's my selection so far.

D.Clarke

K.Higgins      
J.Cooper      
P.McMahon
L.Keegan (Snuffed out S.Cavanagh which led to his team's victory)      
C.O'Sullivan
P.Murphy

B.Fenton      
Moran (no obvious outstanding mf this year but kicks good scores)

P.Harte    (scored 3.11 in 5 games)   
A.O'Shea    (came back well after his dive incident)
McManoman (always seem to kick important scores for Dublin near the end)

Geaney (scored 3.15 in 4 games)
Connolly   
Rock (top scorer in the championship 1.45 in 5 games)

AZOffaly

Jinxy

Quick, pick a Tipp lad before AZ goes mad!!  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 31, 2016, 04:29:23 PM
Here's my selection so far.

D.Clarke

K.Higgins      
J.Cooper      
P.McMahon
L.Keegan (Snuffed out S.Cavanagh which led to his team's victory)      
C.O'Sullivan
P.Murphy

B.Fenton      
Moran (no obvious outstanding mf this year but kicks good scores)

P.Harte    (scored 3.11 in 5 games)   
A.O'Shea    (came back well after his dive incident)
McManoman (always seem to kick important scores for Dublin near the end)

Geaney (scored 3.15 in 4 games)
Connolly   
Rock (top scorer in the championship 1.45 in 5 games)

Replace Rock (very unfortunate) with Quinlivan, drop Harte into the half back in place of Murphy and stick Kilkenny in the half forward line. That would be my team at the minute. The final will no doubt change a few of these selections though.

Il Bomber Destro

How anyone could leave Ryan McHugh out baffles me.

What has Paul Murphy prove against the likes of Tipp and Clare that McHugh didn't against a far superior line of opposition all Championship.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 31, 2016, 07:20:04 PM

What has Paul Murphy prove against the likes of Tipp and Clare that McHugh didn't against a far superior line of opposition all Championship.

He completely shut down Kilkenny (current 2nd favourite for Player of the Year) the last day and had very solid performances against Tipp and Clare.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Kilkenny gets a lot more joy come the final.

trileacman

How in the name of f**k is Kilkenny in the running for poty?? I mean he runs around the empty middle of the park doing one twos with his shadow. Jesus I have never seen as careful and fearful a player so heralded in the game as he is. Fylnn in his pomp was a brilliant exponent of that hf role of sweeping attacking and being the link man, Murphy, Mchugh are far finer examples in the championship of being the linking player around the park. At least they've a cutting edge and attack with menance. Floating about the 40 isn't what a poty does.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

yellowcard

A half decent performance for Connolly in the final should win him the POTY. Kilkenny has been consistently good all year but Connolly has that X factor and has taken up the mantle from the hooch of the most naturally gifted footballer of his era. Was unlucky not to win it in 2014 and would be a travesty if he didn't win the award given his ability.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on August 31, 2016, 11:57:20 PM
A half decent performance for Connolly in the final should win him the POTY. Kilkenny has been consistently good all year but Connolly has that X factor and has taken up the mantle from the hooch of the most naturally gifted footballer of his era. Was unlucky not to win it in 2014 and would be a travesty if he didn't win the award given his ability.

Aaron Boone

This thread could easily be about the 2017 awards also.

Dublin, Mayo & Kerry have that tob-table coziness sharing the All-Ireland's between them.

JoG2

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 31, 2016, 07:59:38 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 31, 2016, 07:20:04 PM

He completely shut down Kilkenny (current 2nd favourite for Player of the Year) the last day and had very solid performances against Tipp and Clare.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Kilkenny gets a lot more joy come the final.

I'd have Murphy, Keegan and McHugh as my half backs and sure OSullivan can be slotted in somewhere if needs be.