8 Niall Murphy Coolera/Standhill
9 Cian Breheny St. Marys
10 Neil Ewing Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
11 Mark Breheny St. Marys (Captain)
12 Charlie Harrison St. Johns
13 Adrian Marren Curry
14 Pat Hughes Geevagh
15 Brian Egan Tourlestrane

Would expect McIntyre in midfield and Charlie dropping back into defence. Not many surprises there, Egan the only debutant.

Not really. Harrison and Ewing are natural defenders named in attack but at the same time Murphy and Breheny are forwards named in midfield. Team won't line up with the shape in accordance with the numbers. Plenty of mobility in that middle 8 though, we're not really able to spring any surprises as we're picking from a shallow pool. Won't be too many options on the bench to change things for us so it's imperative we start strongly.

Rossfan

Announced team
Claff
Seànie Collins McI
McManus Purcell Daveen M
Daly J McDermott
Fintan C Murtagh Conor D
Senan K D Shine Cregger.

Said by those allegedly in the know not to be the team that will start.
2 Smiths, Compton, Corcoran, C Shine among the subs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

giveballaghback

Diarmuid Murtagh not on squad for Sunday, injured in training on tuesday night.

Blowitupref

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 09, 2016, 09:46:48 PM
Big blow that. Last year Roscommon had to endure late injury setbacks before the Sligo game, looks like history is repeating itself one year on.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 09, 2016, 09:55:14 PM
Big blow that. Last year Roscommon had to endure late injury setbacks before the Sligo game, looks like history is repeating itself one year on.

The injuries weren't the issue. It was playing the injured players that was the bother.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2016, 10:01:41 PM

The injuries weren't the issue. It was playing the injured players that was the bother.
If I recall right Donie Shine was to play last year only for a late injury.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

giveballaghback

Only 6 of last years starting team start on Sunday for Roscommon, Seanie Mac is the only player to line out in the same position as last year, some turnover, is it good or not so good?
Just asking opinions so dont shoot me Syf ;D

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 09, 2016, 10:05:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2016, 10:01:41 PM

If I recall right Donie Shine was to play last year only for a late injury.

He was concussed. If we named 15 fit players to start last year we would have won even playing as we did.

moysider

Really? I find it extraordinary that any manager at any level would start injured players if he had the resources besides that he believed could get the job done. It's all very well in hindsight saying any fit squad players would have been good enough.

Anyway got my tickets today for this and looking forward to it. There's been some very enjoyable Sligo/Ros. games down the years. Hoping for another good one.

Farrandeelin

Going by the championship so far, Roscommon will win handy.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2016, 11:53:50 PM

Maybe but not so sure. That Sligo selection suggests that they will be a lot cuter than last year where they were very exposed at the back. Roscommon could not take advantage but they were a train wreck waiting to happen. Harrison is not going to play in the forwards, that's for sure. I expect them to set up defensively and isolate Marren and Hughes inside maybe. But I know nothing about this new Egan lad and what his role could be?

Cunny Funt

Roscommon didn't win handy against New York in this years championship and as Niall Carew said Sligo are a much better team than New York.

With injuries and lads going to America Roscommon are apparently without up to 10 players on Sunday. I think this game points to another close competitive Roscommon v Sligo contest with no more than a few points separating the sides at the end.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2016, 11:49:50 PM

Really? I find it extraordinary that any manager at any level would start injured players if he had the resources besides that he believed could get the job done. It's all very well in hindsight saying any fit squad players would have been good enough.

In fairness not that extraordinary at all as it happens in almost every county where key players are forced to play usually on a high dosage of painkillers. Management is about taking risks however its silly risks like that costs them their jobs.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 10, 2016, 12:51:40 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2016, 11:49:50 PM

In fairness not that extraordinary at all as it happens in almost every county where key players are forced to play usually on a high dosage of painkillers. Management is about taking risks however its silly risks like that costs them their jobs.

I know, but why did Evan's play unfit players if - as Sy. suggests he had others good enough to do the job?
I believe he didn't think the reserve were good enough and went with the injured players believing they were still the best option for a championship game. It's all very well saying in hindsight we would have won without playing injured players and that is why we lost. All teams play players that have some niggle or other all the time. Even teams at the top end go with injured players - recently Cian O Sullivan was played hamstrung and Cillian O Connor's shoulder was held together by sticky tape one year and played with a gammy knee last year when he could hardly train.
All athletes and footballers are seldom 100%. There is nearly always an issue of some sort. Using injured players as an excuse for last years loss is disrespectful to Sligo. No doubt they had their own issues as well with injuries.

Lar Naparka

Going by the championship last year, Roscommon were supposed to win handy too.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi