Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

I give Armagh a great chance here

This Mayo team doesn't seem to play well in Castlebar

Three Connacht defeats there in four years, a series of unimpressive qualifier performances against moderate opposition there, some bad league defeats there too

It's a bit like Waterford hurlers and Walsh Park

Mayo will let that Armagh forward division play and they could make hay

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see it go to extra-time however, and I doubt there will be more than one score in it at the end

One of these qualifiers is going to go to penalties sooner or later and this could be it

I sense an epic in the offing

macdanger2

Would like to see us line up like this (assuming Horan isn't going to change tack and suddenly start playing a sweeper or even a semi-sweeper the way McLoughlin used to play)

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
McLoughlin Loftus McDonagh
Moran Coen Carr/Regan

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2019, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 24, 2019, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 24, 2019, 03:29:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 24, 2019, 03:21:42 PM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 24, 2019, 01:55:43 PM
Omagh - Newbridge :  231 km
Armagh - Castlebar  :  223 km

Who the hell counts in feckin' kilometres?  ::)

People in the 26....miles is the old colonial measure...

Funny that, because any time I ask for directions in the south, the answer is always in miles.
By the time who have opened your mouth to ask directions, the canny southerner has already figured out you're from the 6 counties, haven't planned your journey, can't use google maps and most probably thinks a klick is the sound a timer makes.

Aye, right enough. I do always wear my "I'm from the North" t-shirt when I'm in the south  ::)

Farrandeelin

Good post sid. Kinda how I feel myself about it. As for an epic, it could be - for a neutral!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2019, 06:51:10 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 24, 2019, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on June 24, 2019, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 24, 2019, 03:44:09 PM
I asked earlier have Mayo ever lost a qualifier in MacHale Park? I was greeted with silence so I presume the answer was never.

I think this will likely be the end of the road for Armagh, hard enough to beat one Division 1 team away from home never mind two and Mayo are better than Monaghan.   If Murnin,Grimley and James Morgan are out Armagh's chances of causing an upset will be much slimmer.

We haven't played many qualifiers at McHale Park. The first qualifier game I remember going to at McHale park was Cavan in 2007 which we won although all I remember from that game was Pierce Hanley playing in that game. After that I think we have beaten Fermanagh and Kildare in McHale park in 2016 so my guess would be we have played three and won three qualifiers in McHale park since the back door came in. I am probably forgetting a game or two somewhere!!

Didn't Mayo play Roscommon in a qualifier in the very early days of them in Castlebar?

Yes. Won that one.

That was a very one-sided game. Nigel Dineen got a goal into the Albany end in the second half that really didn't matter one way or the other, as the game was well gone by then. However, the Cake was in goal for the Ros, and when he saw Dineen score the goal, Cake ran towards the stand, tumbled the wildcat, and came up doing pistol salutes.

He was some buckaroo, the Cake. Great days.

DuffleKing

Where would you go to watch the 5pm game within handy walking distance of McHale Park?

From the Bunker

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 24, 2019, 11:07:18 PM

Where would you go to watch the 5pm game within handy walking distance of McHale Park?

Garbos , Beside the Bowling alley!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 24, 2019, 11:20:28 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 24, 2019, 11:07:18 PM

Garbos , Beside the Bowling alley!
Or upstairs in Castlebar Mitchels club house.

Itchy

Armagh have a chance but I think Mayo will squeeze them and force long kick outs up the middle and they will dominate midfield. If Armagh are starved of ball they will struggle to get their excellent forwards into the match. Any other tactic from Mayo could see them in trouble.

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 24, 2019, 08:34:06 PM
Would like to see us line up like this (assuming Horan isn't going to change tack and suddenly start playing a sweeper or even a semi-sweeper the way McLoughlin used to play)

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan
dropping Higgins is a big call?
id leave hime on but encourage hime to attack more . he seemed to be under order not to drive forward as much as normal in newry . which is probably his best asset
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on June 25, 2019, 10:54:56 AM

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan
id leave hime on but encourage hime to attack more . he seemed to be under order not to drive forward as much as normal in newry . which is probably his best asset

Well then don't play him corner back! Corner back's first job should be to stick to his man and not give him an inch.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

It would be a big call alright but I think he's lost a little of his pace and also, maybe he could do with a wake up call. If we were to go with a sweeper, I'd pick him or McLoughlin for the role

lurganblue

I was quite confident that Armagh would beat a Monaghan team on a downward spiral.  That same confidence doesn't extend to this match however.

It will definitely be an uphill struggle.  I think this game might go a little like the Roscommon match last year.  A bit of a shootout with some lovely scores being taken.  Mayo just to edge it towards the end.

rosnarun

Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2019, 11:14:30 AM

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan

Well then don't play him corner back! Corner back's first job should be to stick to his man and not give him an inch.
not at all higgnis at corner back has bee a huge attacking asset for mayo , it very much his unique role not quiet replicated by any other corner back and Mayo not be able to do  a like for like replacement ,
playing forther up the fiel doe not suit him nearly as well as we daw from some of the experiments over the years .
Hes always had the pace to cover back as well, even up to roscommon this year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on June 25, 2019, 02:32:05 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2019, 11:14:30 AM

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan

Clarke
Barrett Harrison EOD
Keegan Plunkett Durcan
AOS DOC
Moran Coen Carr/Regan

not at all higgnis at corner back has bee a huge attacking asset for mayo , it very much his unique role not quiet replicated by any other corner back and Mayo not be able to do  a like for like replacement ,
playing forther up the fiel doe not suit him nearly as well as we daw from some of the experiments over the years .
Hes always had the pace to cover back as well, even up to roscommon this year

Have to disagree - Higgins has been caught standing too far off his man for several years, not several weeks. He can be brilliant in the corner, but this tendency to get caught out has cost us, and is costing us more frequently now that he's probably lost some of the turn of pace.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."