Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Who comes up with the fixture schedule and venues for the championship?
Senior match at 3 in Newcastle probably over at 4.30/4.40
We play in Burren at 5.30 in a double header
Now a double header in Burren in a senior championship quarter final will habe severe parking consequences on the roads around Burren.
Why Newry wasn't used at the normal throw in times of 6.30/8 on a Sunday is mind boggling
At least that gives people who are attending the first match to grab a quick bite to eat?
Thoughts?

KeyboardWarrior645

A shocker smurfy. And the fact Monday night is only being used for a senior and intermediate double header in newry is mind boggling.
What are ballyholland and bridge players expected to do when they arrive? I'd say all spaces in car park will be gone by the time they start arriving. Point and stone supporters along with their players will have spaces filled and will be starting to park around burren at that stage.

Burren kilcoo looks very tasty and both teams will fancy themselves of course. Kilcoo to win this one.
Point and stone is another tight one. I expect the point just to have too much for the stone.
Clonduff and carryduff will be tight again but carryduff youth and pace could take them through.
Bridge and ballyholland will be another battle. Ballyholland to nick It I reckon.

PTC

Quote from: befair on September 03, 2019, 09:12:20 PM
Quote from: elk on September 03, 2019, 09:00:29 AM
Quote from: befair on September 02, 2019, 11:35:05 PM
Not the same Burren team as in the past; struggled against a depleted Rostrevor till the last few mins. Bu being underdogs vs Kilcco might suit them
Kilcoo struggled against Rostrevor too, maybe they are not that bad. Burren were underdogs for the final last year and beat them!
If Kilcoo keep Donal O'Here quiet they'll win. His goal before half-time really changed the game, + he created it from nothing
[/quote do kilcoo have the forward line to do the damage that Castlewellan and rostrevor couldn't do? Donal o'hare would be a handful for any team

terrifictommy

Venues for the games always a debate.
Kilcoo - No dugouts for the teams, I've seen more subs/mentors over the line than behind it. Some day that will cause a controversial moment between players and sidelines. Wonder if the Kilcoo seniors will allow the teams to warm up properly this round.
Clonduff - Venue isn't the concern but the pitch and lack of lighting and scoreboard are. Not a great vantage point for spectators either.
Burren - we all know the parking issues

Don't get me wrong theses clubs are the best that are around and Marshall very well. But what are the real alternatives. All have the same issues surely.

Ambrose

Any updates on Ballykinlar? Last update from Kim Jung McAteer was that he had appointed a planning consultant from Derry.
We must have nearly cleared the Burrenbridge debt by now.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Smurfy123

Surely they could have put a senior and intermediate double header in newry on Friday night
And the same in Burren on Sunday at 6.30 and 8
But to put a big senior double header in Burren is madness
Now what if any of the first games on Sunday go to extra time?
There is a chance that the matches in Newcastle won't be over at 5.30 if any goes to extra time.
Getting from Newcastle at 5 to Burren at 5.30? Work that one out?
And the big game of the weekend is on Monday at 8

johnnycool

Quote from: Ambrose on September 04, 2019, 04:01:59 PM
Any updates on Ballykinlar? Last update from Kim Jung McAteer was that he had appointed a planning consultant from Derry.

Collie McGurk? Was that him?

Burrenbridge dept is now serviceable after being taken over by Croke Park, but I think there's a good few more years yet before it's cleared.

KeyboardWarrior645

Quote from: johnnycool on September 05, 2019, 01:50:29 PM

Burrenbridge dept is now serviceable after being taken over by Croke Park, but I think there's a good few more years yet before it's cleared.

What's the burrenbridge dept?

johnnycool

Quote from: KeyboardWarrior645 on September 05, 2019, 11:10:08 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 05, 2019, 01:50:29 PM

What's the burrenbridge dept?

debt.

Cuan12

County board ex have dealt with Burrenbridgr, it was a disaster but it's behind us, county negotiated a new deal  and we are servicing that debt along with other debt from Parc Esler, Ballykinlar is a new chapter in Down GAA history and while the location might not please all it's the only viable option to develop a facility to compete with our provincial rivals.
Let's not forget Tyrone have had Garvaghy over 20 yrs and look where they are, our team of the nineties blew Tyrone away, look where we are now, so forget about Burrenbridge , that's being dealt with , concentrate on what we have , last thing , keep seeing derogatory references to our county secretary and I don't think they help, constructive criticism is grand but destructive with snide remarks doesn't help.
We all want the same thing - success
Kilcoo will win championship , complacency is only thing that will beat them!!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Cuan12 on September 06, 2019, 10:57:01 AMBallykinlar is a new chapter in Down GAA history and while the location might not please all it's the only viable option to develop a facility to compete with our provincial rivals.

No, its not.

It is a massive mistake which will become all too clear in the years ahead.

When someone is hurt or worse driving home knackered from training some night on the shite roads - it'll be seen as the utterly stupid idea that it is.

The bravest decision the county board could take is to wait... wait until land comes up that is close to the main route running from the Finn through to Hilltown. There have been at least 2 opportunities passed up over the previous 2 decades. More opportunities will come up as folks give up on farming.
i usse an speelchekor

downjim

I think it's the best option we have at this time and can only improve the lesser facilities that exist in East Down.

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 06, 2019, 12:23:19 PM
Quote from: Cuan12 on September 06, 2019, 10:57:01 AMBallykinlar is a new chapter in Down GAA history and while the location might not please all it's the only viable option to develop a facility to compete with our provincial rivals.

No, its not.

It is a massive mistake which will become all too clear in the years ahead.

When someone is hurt or worse driving home knackered from training some night on the shite roads - it'll be seen as the utterly stupid idea that it is.

The bravest decision the county board could take is to wait... wait until land comes up that is close to the main route running from the Finn through to Hilltown. There have been at least 2 opportunities passed up over the previous 2 decades. More opportunities will come up as folks give up on farming.

I agree.

Training several times a week in Ballykinlar will make opting out a very real proposition for anyone working in Dublin.

Challenge matches for juvenile squads against Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Meath etc will be met with a "can you not find us a venue closer to the border?".

That's when management teams will begin to challenge any requirement from county board that Ballykinlar must be the venue for county teams.

County board then will face the dilemma of forcing the rule, or a one-breaks-it-everyone-breaks-it-problem arising.

I know everyone means well with Ballykinlar. And it has some potential as an East down training facility. But it's just too remote to serve our county the way Garvaghey or Clontibret works.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: downjim on September 06, 2019, 12:44:15 PM
I think it's the best option we have at this time and can only improve the lesser facilities that exist in East Down.

It may be the best option at this time - but that does not mean it is a good enough option to get the go ahead - it will not justify the investment and will be a(nother) massive millstone around the neck of county finances.

Decision should have been "no options available at this time are good enough to proceed".
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on September 06, 2019, 12:53:26 PM
Challenge matches for juvenile squads against Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Meath etc will be met with a "can you not find us a venue closer to the border?".

For any county team its in the arse end of nowhere.

For most clubs in Down its in the arse end of nowhere FFS!

Every other county in Ireland will be coming in the Blackstaff Road as that's what google maps will tell them is quickest. Only a matter of time before there is an accident on the roads.
i usse an speelchekor